1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nashville Prius, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Nashville Prius

Nashville Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just picked up my 06 with 265k on it. I don't have all the records for oil changes, but the ones I DO have show conventional oil being used. Is there any risk in switching to synthetic or synthetic blend at this stage, or, what do you suggest would be my best bet??

Thanks,

Mitch

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i can't help with the oil advice because i think i've read 'no prolemo' to 'it will clean out the pores and cause oil burning. but i might be thinking about light vs heavier oil. does it burn any oil now? anyway, all the best with your new ride!(y)

3. Nashville Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks bisco. I have only put a few hundred miles on it so far, and no oil loss that I can determine yet, but I will track is after a fresh oil change tomorrow. I will try a major brand high-mile oil to stay on the safe side. I am just happy there are no leaks.

bisco likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After changing to synthetic my mechanic advises to change oil filter and add another quart of oil at 500mi or 1K. Synthetic like Mobil 1 tends to wash deposits and they will get collect in filter. Would not be a bad idea to use oversized filter.

Do not used synthetic blend, it is a gimmic - not worth it. 5gal jar of Mobil 1 is $23.88 in Walmart.

We have a car which had gone 430K on Mobil 1, can't complain

bisco likes this.
  5. Nashville Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    430k on Mobile 1? Awesome! Do you know if Walmart carries the oversize filter?

6. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They do, but you will need to work out which filter can be used for Gen2.

I used to use Purolator PureOne from Advance Autoparts, but I wouldn't recommend it at the switch. It filters good but it has limited dirt holding capacity.

If I were doing the switch and getting oil/filter from Wally, I'd get 2 Frams. Regular orange for 1st 500-1000mi, and then switch to Ultra. Or better yet use 2 orange Frams and than do complete oil change at 5K with Fram Ultra.

here is Fram catalog: FRAM - Application Look-up

And here is discussion on oversized filters: Oversized filter for 07 Suzuki SX4 (PH4967) | Engine Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

A few years back I had a Mobil-1 using engine opened, and insides looked sparkling silver, just like from the factory. Mobil-1 may not be the best oil out there, but it surely cleans. When you switch from conventional it will wash deposits off, and may clog filter. Unfortunately when that happens bypass valve opens, and all that dirt goes right into main bearings. By the time oil light lights up you will need engine rebuild.

7. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use the Fram Ultra XG3600 which is the oversize version, and buy it at Walmart...

8. Nashville Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guys, thanks for your advice. I went with Mobil 1 and the Fram oversize filter. Next up is trans drain and fill.

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just don't forget to replace filter and add a quart after 500-1000mi. Maybe it is not needed, but this is a cheap insurance.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello to a fellow high milage Prius owner in middle TN! My 2005 has 258,000 miles. I have used conventional 5-w30 blends, synthetics, and just recently I'm experimenting with heavy duty fully synthetic rotella t6 made for diesel engines. Read about someone using it here on PC so I did as well. So far so good! Runs good and I think it has slowed oil consumption.

Congregation on the new Ride. You'll love it, I'm sure!

11. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No fram filter will ever touch my cars again. Had a bad experience with severe rattle at startup when I used fram. Repalced the filter with oem filter and rattle gone. Never again.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Mobil1 filters too but Walmart does not carry in store anymore, but I think you can order on-line at Walmart. Of course at those miles I'd stick with 5W-30 and maybe even the High Mileage Mobil1 formula if I thought there was a need for it. I would not hesitate to try other synthetics, but as long as I have no problems Mobil1 is the path of least resistance for me. The Toyota lubes are very good in my view but not as easy to get except at a dealer, so not doing that unless I need to (transaxle of course that's Toyota's stuff only for me).

#12 wjtracy, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota ATF-WS for that. Toyota actually cautions to use only that.