1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Makes 3rd gen Prius Satisfying or Even Fun for You to Drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Aug 4, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't matter what trim or modifications you have, I'm listening. Other Prius' or alternative cars ok for comment, please say what you've got.
    thx.

2. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Satisfying? I use less gas per mile driven

cycledrum likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does anyone buy a Hybrid?

I know the reasons to WANT to own a Prius are diverse.

But there is kind of a bottom line. At some level you want fuel efficiency and low emissions. Because I contend, if those aren't driving satisfaction priorities, you are going to buy something else.

And YES, I can drive the Prius and it IS fun to watch the MPG actually get higher in city driving conditions. It's fun to drive it as a hybrid and maximize MPG.

I also think functionally The Prius is a good automobile. Nice size, nice level of utility. I personally find it comfortable.

And even though I'm coming from the agile, go-kart like "fun to drive" feel of a Honda Fit. I've been surprised and impressed with the feel of The Prius. It CAN get up and go, if you want it to get up and go. In fact, at highway speeds it's more powerful and a better cruiser than The Fit.

Overall, as I have really known even before purchase, those are the reasons I wanted a Prius, and those are the reasons I find Prius operation and ownership to be VERY satisfying.

usbseawolf2000, jonb505 and cycledrum like this.
  4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its a car with a built-in game and the game can save you money. No, I don't expect the game to pay for the cost of the car but its still fun.

cycledrum likes this.
  5. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have 2. We are saving a little over $3500.00 A Year On Gas.
    We use that money to take an extra weeks vacation during the Christmas Holidays.
    My Family First Exxon Last.

Trina G and cycledrum like this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fuel efficiency, technology and the fact that you do not have to hypermile but can "just drive the car" and still get great mpg.

Monitoring the HSD with a SGII is always interesting.

cycledrum likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love electric driving. is pip considered a trim?:p

cycledrum likes this.
  8. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Previous Honda Fit owner here as well so "The Electric Me's" comment and comparisons i totally agree with.
    Would like to add that I find the prius "good enough" as far as power and handling go, in the same way Jetta TDI owners say their MPG is "good enough". ;)
    If toyota came and asked me what i wanted changed/improved on my car, sharper handling and more horsepower would be at the very bottom of the list, they could actually knock off a few horses to improve mpg and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. More mpg, utility, and creature comforts would be at the top.
    I've driven other new cars/SUVs in the same price range as my prius v(rentals/test drives) and do not feel i am sacrificing anything of importance for that MPG advantage. From what i've seen other cars offer as advantages, race car handling, quieter interior, more horsepower and less mpg do not appeal to me.
    My prius is a comfortable, effecient and reliable workhorse, couldn't ask for much more in a car. And at local gas prices approaching $6 per gallon and 90% city driving my satisfaction level is through the roof. :)

cycledrum and ftl like this.
  9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Triple + to all of the above.

10. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find it fun in that the driving keeps my mind very busy. What is the best throttle position, should I let the ice shut down or is there a hill coming up, can I hit 60 mpg on this trip? It is a cerebral and technique refinement activity. The car instrumentation along with the Scanguage gives good feed back which improves the game aspect.

In a similar way but different when I drive our BMW Z4 I am kept busy with the clutch, shifting and enjoying the sun and scenery.

cycledrum and jonb505 like this.
  11. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The MPG's The Tech. The reliability. The price "VS" the bang for the buck. The fun of it and the low cost and simplicity of ownership.
    Keep the oil changed, rotate the tires, add small amounts of gas and enjoy. I'm 6 1" and find it to be a very comfortable car. Add some wheels and it looks 100 times better. The brakes last forever and everything else is low maintenance.

My only wish would be a plug-in with a bigger lithium battery. An EV range of 60 miles. With more battery capacity
    I could average 60 to 100 MPG's on a regular basis :cool:

Bob G IA and cycledrum like this.
  12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 2 Pri's I've owned have been the best money spent on transportation. I drive 20k+ miles per year and I would have spent the same $'s or more on another car. So I consider it money in the bank every time I drive!

cycledrum likes this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What makes it satisfying for me is easy, it's not a VW. :D

cycledrum and jonb505 like this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, don't I know you from motorcycling and some Southbayriders rides w/ Gary J and all ??? :cool: (That's Gary J standing just behind me in avatar)

Sorry for off topic, but haven't seen Drd in years :)

15. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well said.

SCH-I535 ? 2

16. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Seriously speaking, and I'm not here to offend anyone, to say driving a Prius is fun is like saying clipping coupon is fun.

cycledrum and hlunde like this.
  17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like it is time to replace your Prius.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  18. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I

Why? The Prius is saving me money, just like coupons that I use

19. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Most importantly for me is the mpg.The fun part is watching all the analysis of how you are driving to maximize your economy. I absolutely love the solar sunroof. It keeps the car much cooler than sitting there in the sun without the power ventilation system. I have a Lincoln also but I find the prius has a lot of room. One of the best reasons I have found is that it has slowed me down from the aggressive way I have driven all my life. I just got home today from a 200 mile trip and I averaged 52.9 mpg. Lot of hills and speeds from 65 mostly to 72 at times. Used the cruise on flat lands. If I live long enough I will buy another one when I wear this one out. Fantastic car.

cycledrum likes this.
  20. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I

Supermarkets use the same technique to get us to buy at their stores. In every receipt, they print out how much you saved on coupons and bonus buys. Today, using my bonus points, I got 90 cents off per gallon in gas. Seriously, is this really fun or is it something we had to do to survive? They let me buy up to 30 gallons and since the Prius gas tank is only 11 gallon, I had to bring along several gas containers to fill up. It isn't fun doing it but it's something I had to do.