1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the hay is the power steering power supply??? and why does it cost $1100 to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by depriusoto, Sep 25, 2013.

1. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SYmptom. PS goes out on our 2007 Prius. No DTC only the red triangle on the dashboard - MDF has no messages.

Take it in to my local Prius guys who tell me that they have to replace the power steering power supply before they can check the power steering electric motor. First cost is $1100.

As I don't have the manuals for this year Prius and alldatadiy is flimsy can someone kindly post the info from the wiring diagram and repair manual on how to test this?

Doing a search of the Gen II forums doesn't yield anything on this "power supply".

Would a Toyota hand held tester pull codes off the PS ecu that explain the problem?

Thanks for all your help.

Ed K

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the red triangle is on then there are DTC present. Are your local Prius guys dealer techs or just local mechanics? If dealer techs ask them for the DTC codes and post on here.

Yes, it will take a Prius specific scanner to pick up the correct DTC codes. If you can get these codes then the site experts should be able to help you diagnose your problem and give you some recommendations.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    His 'local Prius guys' may not be a dealership, so may not have an ODBII reader that can get all his Prius Specific codes. Going to a dealer to get those codes almost HAS to cost less than $1100.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    see techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From previous postings, it happens that the power steering ECU can fail with no DTC set.

A brief summary from the manual:

The troubleshooting procedure for a situation when no DTCs are output but a PS warning is always indicated is specified here. The PS warning remains on when there is an open in the IG circuit that inputs power source voltage to the power steering ECU.

The procedure is:
    1 check that the communication bus is OK
    2 check that the wire harness is OK
    3 check that the power steering ECU is getting 12V supply
    4 replace the power steering ECU
    5 make sure the warning on MFD is gone

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OP states that the red triangle is on. My understanding is that any time you have a red triangle a DTC has to be set to trigger this. Is this not correct?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not correct. The red triangle is the master warning light which calls the driver's attention to the fact that a problem exists. However a DTC will not necessarily be logged.

For example, if you open the driver's door while the car is in R or D, the red triangle will come on but no DTC will be logged.

Or if the engine oil level is low, the red triangle may eventually turn on but again, no DTC will be logged.

If the check engine light is on, or if the hybrid vehicle or traction battery warning icon appears in the MFD, then a DTC will definitely have been logged.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Patrick,

I tried the opening of a door in D and I received the Yellow Triangle and a message. The Yellow Triangle is a warning alarm for the Gen III. Is this not the same for the Gen II?

The OP had a red triangle which is a fault alarm for the Gen III. Can you also get red triangle faults with no DTC?

Dwight

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dwight, 2G does not have a yellow warning triangle, only red. Yes, it is possible for the 2G red warning triangle to appear without a DTC being logged. I don't own a 3G so I can't comment on how its warning lights should be interpreted.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news was I still had coverage under an extended warranty (not Toyota) so it was replaced by my Toyota dealership for $100 (my deductible) 700 (their billed to warranty) and $200 (my cost) to my local independent garage. $300 I can afford.