1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What tires came with your PiP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iRun26.2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The S33D surprisingly is not cheap. It is $107 retail at TireRack and $127? at America's Tire Company. That is Michelin price range!

2. UCBRUINS

UCBRUINS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Goodyear on Advanced.

3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yokohama AVID S33D

4. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems odd, to me, that the first bunch of PHVs that Toyota shipped came with three different brand of tires.

What is up with that??

5. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Google search of "tire shortage" yields this article from 6/11:

Automakers complain about tire shortage

1 person likes this.
  6. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I just checked and I have the Yokohama. How do I know what pressure I can safely pump them up to? I assume they are probably are at 35 psi from Toyota.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Max pressure is listed on the tire sidewall. It is 44psi for the 15" tire. Most of us recommend keeping it at or below sidewall max pressure and maintaining the front rear pressure difference (35/33psi). So 44/42 is very common.

1 person likes this.
  8. OilFreedom

OilFreedom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since the Pip is not equipped with a Spare, I was thinking about putting run-flat tires on it. Does anyone have experience or recommendations on this for a Prius? I don't know if run-flats come in a LRR version, and I wonder how much the gas mileage would be affected by switching the tires.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This has been standard practice with Prius for several years. It was this way when I bought my 2010. Why they do it is a business decision of some kind -- maybe it minimizes liability, or keeps pricing ultra-competitive, or enables better availability of supply. Hard to say exactly why.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never found a LRR version. They tend to be very heavy so expect a modest mpg drop should you decide to switch. I predict a 4mpg+ loss and a loss of a fee miles of EV range. IMO it's not worth it. Either buy a small spare wheel/tire and carry it with you or stick a can of fix a flat Under your seat.

11. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a few more questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) How much of a gain in gas mileage would you expect to see in going from the standard 35/33 psi to 44/42 psi?

2) I assume you increase the air pressure (and measure it) when the car has not been driven for a while. Am I correct?

3) Will also need to reset the tire pressure monitoring system?

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) The answer really depends on how you drive the car. The average non-hypermiler may only observe a 1-2mpg gain but a super hypermiler like Wayne Gerdes may observe more. I can only assume there is a good reason he inflates his Goodyear Fuel Max tires to 60psi-65psi (50psi max sidewall). I don't think many tests have been done to quantify the gain but you can expect to get an extra hundred feet of roll during a coast down test. It is especially important for urban driving where the largest resistances opposing vehicle movement are rolling resistance (46.6%) and acceleration resistance (namely weight at 40.9%). Air resistance only accounted for 12.5% at slow speeds.

See my thread in the Prius c forum regarding urban driving for max mpg.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c...summer-mpg-vs-winter-mpg-prius-c-version.html

2) Correct. You check pressure at the coldest part of the day (morning) and set the pressure accordingly. You are attempting to set the pressure when the tire should be at its coldest and therefore this should be the lowest pressure you will ever observe during your daily routine until the wether changes. As temps increase throughout the day tire pressure will increase a bit but it will not go lower than what you set it at. The pressure increase will not hurt the tire and it is barely enough to feel during driving. Now, if you have a cold spell and set your tires at 44psi in the morning with 40F ambient temps the the next day temps raise back up to 100F then you may want to readjust your pressure to the new average daily temps. Assume an approx. 1psi loss for every 10F drop in temperature or 1psi gain for every 10F rise in temperature.

3) I have never messed with my TPMS. I assumed that if my tires get below the safe limit set by the manufacture then I have a problem. Otherwise I don,t really care to try and set them for a higher pressure. It's up to you. I don't really know much about the system since this is my first car with them (besides the Corvette).

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question for you PIP owners.

On the standard Prius the manufacture recommends a split in air pressure between front and rear. They call for 35front and 33rear. This is due to weight distribution in the Prius. The PIP has a larger heavier battery system and thus more weight in the rear. Does Toyota recommend the same tire pressure front and rear now?

14. Kahuna69

Kahuna69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yokohama AVID S33D on base model.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's the same as the Liftback. From the Prius Plug-in Owner's Manual, pg. 619:

1 person likes this.
  16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Goodyear Assurance ( Treadwear 540 Traction A Temp B ) on Advanced

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tires have to pass a so-called "blind ride test." The three tires perform near identical as they are built according to Toyota's specifications, not the tire manufacturer's.

Therefore, the three different brands of tires is merely due to the available supplier at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  18. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also got the yokos. East coast shipment.

19. denali

denali Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Goodyears on my Advanced here. From the factory/dealer, I had ~39 psi. I decided to lower it a bit and see what happens with fuel efficiency. I'm running 37 in front and 35 in rear right now and I feel that the ride's improved. The jury's still out on fuel economy, but I figure with the 90 MPG I've been getting so far I'll take the slightly more comfortable ride over the fuel economy.

20. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The "cheap" remark is about quality and rating. The cost is remarkably high and not a VALUE. The Advanced model with Goodyears have better 540 Treadwear and better traction and wet ratings. Still CHEAP IMO.
    :spy: