Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

1. TGB4 2014 Prius Convention Hotel Discounts are ending this week. Click for more information. All Access registration with personalized items ends Sept 1. Register now!

What to do and not to do

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jenpen, Mar 17, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i can see you can't jump any other car off. Any other dos and don'ts. I tried asking the dealer and his answer was brIng it in. I live in the boonies I always carry a 4 way tire iron every fluid, belts. Tools flashlight, i almost forgot about duck tape electrical tape and wire ties About 20 years ago I was test driving a truck and some numb nuts forgot to tighten the drain plug i didn't want to blow it up so I filled up radiator but I didnt have the money for the oil could not find a pay phone with book. By the time I made it back I had cracked the heads. So any car I drive has to earn my trust even if its new.

Thanks again
    Jennifer
  2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do: drive the car 100 miles or more a week.
    Do: use the A/C in the summer, to protect the high voltage battery
    Don't: leaving the car sitting for more than 2 weeks, without installing a 12V battery maintainer
    Don't: use electrical accessories (headlights, radio) unless the car is in Ready
    Don't: believe that the dealer is your only recourse for maintenance and repair
  3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

If you can't fit the kitchen sink try one of these;) (Flux Capacitor)

I'd tend to leave sachet's along the rout to save weight, better mileage that way;)
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Nadir of Wrongness

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do shift in to B at the top of long declines
    Don't mess with B any other time.

Don't get your 12 volt battery jumped more than once, if it is bad, replace it.

Do change your Transaxle fluid (~$100) at 30,000 miles and every 60,000 after that with WS ATF.
  5. macman408

macman408 Devil's Advocate General

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DO take our suggestions with a grain of salt.
    DO read the manual - everything you need to know is there.

Most of the things people suggest here are good, but not necessarily required (e.g. plenty of us have gone >2 weeks without driving it, or driven it less than 100 miles in a week. Those will help keep a dying 12V battery from becoming dead, but a normal battery will handle those just fine).