1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do and not to do

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jenpen, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Jenpen

Jenpen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i can see you can't jump any other car off. Any other dos and don'ts. I tried asking the dealer and his answer was brIng it in. I live in the boonies I always carry a 4 way tire iron every fluid, belts. Tools flashlight, i almost forgot about duck tape electrical tape and wire ties About 20 years ago I was test driving a truck and some numb nuts forgot to tighten the drain plug i didn't want to blow it up so I filled up radiator but I didnt have the money for the oil could not find a pay phone with book. By the time I made it back I had cracked the heads. So any car I drive has to earn my trust even if its new.

Thanks again
    Jennifer

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do: drive the car 100 miles or more a week.
    Do: use the A/C in the summer, to protect the high voltage battery
    Don't: leaving the car sitting for more than 2 weeks, without installing a 12V battery maintainer
    Don't: use electrical accessories (headlights, radio) unless the car is in Ready
    Don't: believe that the dealer is your only recourse for maintenance and repair

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

If you can't fit the kitchen sink try one of these;) (Flux Capacitor)

I'd tend to leave sachet's along the rout to save weight, better mileage that way;)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do shift in to B at the top of long declines
    Don't mess with B any other time.

Don't get your 12 volt battery jumped more than once, if it is bad, replace it.

Do change your Transaxle fluid (~$100) at 30,000 miles and every 60,000 after that with WS ATF.

5. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DO take our suggestions with a grain of salt.
    DO read the manual - everything you need to know is there.

Most of the things people suggest here are good, but not necessarily required (e.g. plenty of us have gone >2 weeks without driving it, or driven it less than 100 miles in a week. Those will help keep a dying 12V battery from becoming dead, but a normal battery will handle those just fine).