1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to look out for in a 2010 Prius with Tech Package (Canadian).

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mr_yellow, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey Guys,

There's a 2010 Prius that I want to make an offer on but am wary cause it was primarily looking for a 2012 car. Is there any last minute info/concerns I should look into before pulling the trigger? I know 2012 prius has additional sound proofing and some other drive train improvements... Are there any well known "must have/check" TSBs/gotchas for a 2010?

Thanks!

2. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There aren't that many changes between a 2010 and a 2012.

Make sure the car is in good shape and you should be fine. There aren't really any issues.

Try to get maintenance records to make sure the regular stuff is taken care of.

3. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the feedback... I just found out the car was purchased summer of 2009, so I'm outside of the 3 year warrenty period with less than a year left on the powertrain warrenty.. Hrm... This is a bummer cause I was hoping to get a little more insurance on the warrenty than that.

Are there any issues with all the tech package addons like the auto parking/braking/cruise control? does any of it get wonkier over time? Any issues with the solar panel sunroof? Do people here actually use these features regularly?

Any known spots where I should check for rust as well? I'm in a cold climate area with lots of use of salt...

Thanks!

4. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather, don't look for quality interior parts...lol. Someone I know has a Scone err Scion and our Prii share many parts with this pos...many interior parts. dirt cheap toyota...hope gen 4 will be better. Powertrain wise, rock solid. Look for a list of 2010 TSB's listed on this site somewhere and go over it with the dealer and nit pick the heck out of it! good luck

5. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I bought it!!!! The car was immaculate even though it was 4 years old already. Interior wasn't as bad as I thought. It has leather and had soft door panels which was nice.

I even tried the IPA in the test drive and freaked my wife out. LOL.

Time to research TSBs now...

Vas25tl likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an early built 2010 Tech Pack (Aug '09 built). I just had a recall done on the brake booster (the letter went out in Sept) so make sure that it's been done. There was also a recall for the brake software as part of that whole SUA fiasco but that should've been done back then.

So far no issues with any of the technology. Note that if the rear bumper is slightly off, the IPA/APGS (auto-park) will be a bit crooked. You can have the dealer adjust the alignment if you want (just remember to adjust it back if the bumper is fixed). I mention this because mine doesn't look damage but it is oh so slightly off because of two hits on the sides of the rear bumper near the rear wheel well.

Solar panel is working fine. It has been hit by 1 (just one) quarter size hail on the highway and survived. Just remember that if you do use it, you'll have to change the cabin air filter more often than you would (more noticeable in a dustier or dirty area).

Love the DRCC (and the PCS safety net is nice. It pulls the seatbelt tight!)

Look at the driver's seat side bolster on the left side near the base. There's been 2 or 3 similar issues here (including me) where the vinyl had a tear in it around Year 3. I got my leather replaced under warranty. On the flip side, if you see a 2010 with different driver seat bottom and seat back wear, make sure you ask why and make sure it's for that reason above and not something else.

Check for the front underbody plastic cover (it's a fairly large piece of plastic that's between the leading edge of the car and the front tyres). It's prone to damage and the dealer may just opt to leave it off.