1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's better - powering off Prius, or leaving on when waiting for someone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 2006priusowner, Sep 23, 2006.

1. 2006priusowner

2006priusowner Junior Member

I can't seem to find any input on when it makes sense to power off the Prius while doing errands. Any insights would be appreciated...

Scenario: Drove to pick up someone, but had to wait 5 - 10 minutes.
    Question: Is it better to power off, or just put it into park with car powered up?
    Hypothesis: Prius start up consumes some gas, but if you leave car powered on and parked, the car is just sitting, not consuming gas or electricity. So, if you are staying with the car during while you wait, just leave the car powered up?

Any thoughts?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally, I think it depends on the drain you are putting on the battery.

If you're sitting there running the A/C, you will certainly drain the battery. If the battery was low to begin with, the engine will kick in. If you started with a good state of charge (SoC) then you have nothing to worry about.

Besides, even if the engine kicks in, it won't run very long in the grand scheme of things. And how can you possibly listen to the kick-nice person techno Prius-pumping music of DJ Kevin Foreman with the car powered down. :D

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Rather than the drain on the battery, a more important factor is the conditions outside. Here in Florida, if you truy and sit in a car for 10 minutes with no AC...

For me, it's all about my personal comfort. I would much rather sit there with the AC on and some good tunes to sing along to.

Honestly, the amount of gas you would use is so minimal. THe ICE would be off most of the time (unless the battery was already low) and would only come on if needed. Once the need was over, ICE is off again.

4. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

For a short wait like 5 minutes, the only thing you're really playing with at that point is the coolant. If you hit the power button at the start of those 5 minutes, the electric pump moves the coolant into a thermos to keep it as hot as possible for when you switch it back on. So, you could say that switching it off maintains the temperature of the system fluids better than leaving it on.

On the other hand, turning it off then on is going to cause the Prius to go through its usual startup steps, including running the engine in its most wasteful state - generating electricity at a stand-still - to get those fluids pumping through it again. So you might view that step as a waste of gas.

Overall I bet you net out the same, but it's an interesting topic of discussion anyway.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends upon comfort issues and how long the wait will be.

If <5 min I typically leave it in READY to avoid the start-up/warm-up routine. If >10min. I'll power down then up into ACC to listen to music unless it's super hot and I want to run AC, in which case I'd leave it in READY.

6. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    If I'm making a true short stop, for example pulling into a convenience store to pick up a soda, I'll shut the AC and MFD off, use the metal key to lock the door, and just leave it that way -- no wasteful start up sequence, and very little power used (primarily from AC off, I turn off the display so as not to draw unwanted attention). When I return, the car is in almost the same state as when I left it. I've actually had a half dozen "old fashioned" metal keys cut from the "secret key" hidden in the fob. I have one on my keychain for just this purpose. The others are scattered about, home, office, and a couple other "key" locations, to facilitate emergency entry on the day when I manage to lock my fob in the car.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Sep 23 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]323849[/snapback]</div>
    But if you haven't got SKS and you always have to insert the fob to start the car, would you be able to start the car if you lost the fob and had only a metal key?

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< "Power Down while waiting..."

Well, that's an individual preference and decision. If the ICE is warmed up, I generally leave it in "READY" mode with the "PARK" pawls engaged for a wait of <5 minutes. For a wait 10+ minutes, I will power down.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2006PriusOwner @ Sep 22 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]323755[/snapback]</div>
    For just a couple of minutes, I'll leave it on if I'm in the car. More than that, I shut it down.

Don't pretend that the car doesn't use electricity or gas when just sitting there though! It uses both even when doing nothing (gas is used to recharge the battery that IS being used when sitting idle - in fact, there is no real "electricity component to even discuss - all the energy comes from gasoline ultimately). No, it isn't much, but if you leave the car ON for an extended period, you'll have the gas engine kicking on to recharge the ever-draining battery.