1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's The Major Production Hangup??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by miniracer, May 18, 2004.

1. miniracer

miniracer New Member

We've been told since the beginning of the year that Toyota was going to ramp up production. Obviously this doesn't happen overnight. Production seemed to be increasing slightly according to Dianne's figures. Now, she reports late May allocation for So. Cal is way down, and presumably will be down elsewhere. Things look good for awhile - then allocations go down. Can anyone venture a guess what the major hangup might be? I'm suspecting the traction battery supplier (Panasonic?). Any other ideas. Still waiting after 134 days. :guns:

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

Well.... I hope Toyota is sending more Prii to Europe... :p

3. siai

siai Junior Member

I had also heard that the batteries might be the limiting factor in production. The Prius plant is already running three shifts so until an additional facility can be built, production cannot increase. Also the Panasonic EV Energy Company plant in Kosai-city not only builds batteries for the Prius but for several other vehicles. These include the Honda Civic and Insight hybrids and the upcoming Lexus 400h and Toyota Highlander hybrid. The Toyota Alphard and Estima hybrids not sold in this country also get batteries from the same source.

4. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Apparently, you ordered on a Tuesday (I'm at 135 days)

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i'm tellin ya, west virginia! :eek:

6. miniracer

miniracer New Member

To BBC:

Ordered on Monday, Jan 5. Today we are at 135 days, kemo sabe. This getting tiring - all I've got left is the F150 and I'm making more little trips than a soccer mom. Gas is $2.49 for this 12MPG pig.

7. eg239

eg239 New Member

I would assume that since it is nearly June and Toyota needs to have a meaty shipment of 2005 models to have on dealer lots by late August / early September that they are slowing production on current models to prepare for whatever changes MY2005 may hold.

Or maybe everybody is just on vacation.

8. miniracer

miniracer New Member

They CAN"T go on vacation. They WILL NOT go on vacation. Bigbaldcuban WILL take their toenails.

9. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I know virtually nothing about cars, except that there are a whole lotta parts in them. Really, it could be anything. I remember a few years ago, after that earthquake in Taiwan, LCDs and flat-screen monitor prices shot way up since the glass-making factories had been knocked out.

Doesn't the Prius have something like 250 newly patented technologies in it? Battery, transmission, computer control system, motors, etc. are all made in-house. Could be that they haven't been able to scale up production on all of these things yet.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patience, sir, patience. I drove a 1987 Cherokee for a full six months after placing my order, and I can assure you that all will be forgotten once you finally have this sweet machine. Review the brochure and the delivery checklists and contemplate the break-in period to pass the time :_>

11. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

We must be related. I'm truckin' around in a 97 F150. Somehow, I'm squeezing 16 mpg out of it. We ordered on the same day and drive the same truck. If your truck is red, I might have to go into hiding.

12. miniracer

miniracer New Member

2001 F150, beige, helluva truck but the big V8 drinks gas. A tank a week at 50 bucks. ARRGGHH.