1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats Wrong with my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ruidboi, May 1, 2014.

1. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was driving my 2005 Toyota Prius and all of a sudden some lights came on the dash. The orange check engine light, The big red Triangle with an exclamation mark on it, the orange VSC symbol, and the orange exclamation mark all at once. I also heard the fans in the back seat kicked in which I never heard before. It felt as though the car didn't have much acceleration. I took it to the dealer and they had it a whole week trying to figure out what it was wrong. They said they got the P3000 INF 123 code from the car which they said the HV control ECM for $2000. Needless to say I don't want to pay that! I found used ECM on ebay for $85 and I bought a scangauge 2 . I pulled 2 different codes out with the scan gauge 2 P0A80 and P3021.

Do you think the dealer diagnosis is right? What does the codes I read out mean?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those codes all point to a failing Hybrid Battery. Usually evidenced as swinging from full charge to low charge rather quickly as seen on the mfd. Usually one or more of the 28 battery modules is low volt and not charging
    properly.

Easily diagnosed with the Toyota Techstream software which measures every parameter of Hybrid battery health.

Whats the miles on the car?

3. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    146k on my prius.Where can I acquire toyota techstream? I think i double posted this thread sorry.

GT-I9500 ?

4. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try this link at Amazon.

5. Paul Brannan

Paul Brannan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this has been asked before on other threads, but I haven't seen a satisfactory answer. Are there any guides for how to read these HV battery health parameters in techstream?