1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Swap Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Tekjunke, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I stopped by my local Toyota dealer tonight on the way home to schedule an appt to swap out my wheels. I have the stock 15" wheels that came on my 2013 III, I purchased a set of 17" Prius wheels to replace them. The dealer is telling me they arent sure if the TPMS will move from the 15" to 17" wheels... even though both wheels are factory Toyota wheels.

Has anyone else swapped from factory 15" to factory 17"? If so, what was your TPMS experience?

Thanks

2. lamminator33

lamminator33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bs! I swapped mine out with aftermarket and nontoyo wheels and they transfered fine by Costco tires. Just paid service pack $1/wheel for new O-rings and seals.

3. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a major relief to hear!

Get this, if they had to use new sensors, they want $90 per wheel for sensors ($360) + 4hrs labor to program the sensors at $120/hr + $20/wheel to mount and balance

That's a grand total of $920 JUST TO SWAP 15" to 17" Toyota wheels!!

Obviously, I'm not going this route.

4. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They might think you don't want to un-mount the current tires from the wheels. In that case, there is no way to get to the TPMS units. They have to unmount and deflate them in order to remove the sensors.

At any rate, I would think this work would be a lot cheaper at a tire shop rather than the Toyota dealership.

5. lamminator33

lamminator33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i went to costco and it was $15/tire installed + $1/wheel TPMS transfered and new seals for them.

I did pay additional $15/tire for them to put the oem 15" tires back on oem 15"wheels, but they provided new valves for free.

6. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through this experience twice, of having the local tire shops transfer the TPMS from the orginal 15" to the V's 17", without any problem. No need to reprograming either.

7. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had them installed today, all went well.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ? Pro