1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelskins with Airbag & Silver Panels Removed

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by mandasol, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've been debating if I should buy one of the more expensive steering wheel replacements or have an upholstery shop cover the steering wheel. I got the eco-leather factory option in bisque and really wanted leather steering cover to match. I didn't like how wheelskins would cover up the lower silver trim on the steering wheels so I almost didn't consider it. However looking through the post of how easy it was to remove the steering wheel I though maybe I could pop off the airbag and the silver parts and customize the wheelskins to fit. So I took on the project yesterday and am very happy with the results:

[​IMG]

Removal of the airbag and trim was super easy (very important that you disconnect the battery). I was surprised how easy it was - it was a piece of cake compared to sewing up the wheelskin. There are plenty of discussions on how to remove the airbag so for this post I'll just show how I installed the wheelskins leather wrap.

I laced up everything with the airbag and silver panels off and left the bottom part for last.

[​IMG]

I thought I would have to cut a lot away and glue pieces down, but while I had the steering wheel apart I could see that if I only punched a small whole to make room for a block shaped protrusion that I could actually use that protruding block to hook the wheelskins over to keep it in place without having to glue anything down.

[​IMG]

Made holes for both sides. My cuts are really ugly because I just had a big pair of scissors, if I were to do it again I'd use an exacto knife. But doesn't really matter cause it gets covered up anyway.

[​IMG]

I fit the silver panels back on to make sure they would fit, and would lay flush again with the steering wheel. I had to press down on them so they would lie flush, but once down they fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

I finished lacing with the panels off.

[​IMG]

Put everything back and looks great. I was real happy with the fit of the wheelskins. One thing I did to try to reduce sagging or bunching is I put the wheelskins on the steering wheel and left it on without lacing it up for a whole day so it would get stretched out while getting acclimated to the humidity and temperature of the inside of the car.

[​IMG]

Matches my leather interior perfectly.

[​IMG]

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    very nice..

3. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Really like this. What color wheelskin did you order?

Also did you need any special tools for the project? And was there one thread about removing the airbag you found most helpful?

4. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Thanks, I ordered the "Sand" color wheelskin from the Priuschat shop. It was a perfect color match and the perfect size.

No special tools. I used pliers to remove the battery terminal, should have used a socket wrench or a spanner but I did it at my office parking lot and pliers was all I had. I laid the pliers on top of the latch for the rear hatch so it wouldn't lock when I lowered the hatch. I sat and checked some emails while I waited to make sure any stored charge in the car was gone before I tried touching the airbag.

The only other tools I had was a 6-in-1 screwdriver so I could use the flat side so I could reach in to push the pin holding on the airbag (the airbag is held on by a spring and just by pushing on the pin a little there is enough spring force that the airbag will snap out a few millimeters, do it for both sides, then slide the whole airbag off and remove the connectors - see the Japanese instructions) and the phillips to remove the silver spoke trim, and pair of scissors to cut away the leather.

To get to the pins for the airbag I thought I would need special plastic pry tools to remove the side covers behind the steering wheels, but thought I'd give it a shot with the flat side of the screwdriver. Turns out didn't even need it. The plastic around the undersides of the steering wheel are so flimsy that you can push and pull around it enough to grab a hold of the covers and pull them out without damaging or distorting anything - you'll see when you try.

I followed the instructions to remove the airbag from this thread:
    JDM Prius Steering Wheel | PriusChat

Scroll down to see pictures and brief instructions , also they posted links to a Japanese website that had some instructions. If you use google translate it makes enough sense to understand. I recommend you read both over.

One thing I'd recommend though is to take your time and not to manhandle the sewing part. Yes you need to pull a little tight but I'd say just tight enough that the leather meets together and that's enough. Then press down on the leather on the seem so that it lays smooth and flat. Pull it too tight and it can bunch up, and it's really hard to maintain a consistency that way.

cycledrum, ockevin and ZPriusV5 like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice job! (y) Looks really clean. I'm surprised that you didn't have to shave the inside surfaces of the plastic trim down to accommodate the extra thickness of the Wheelskins cover to get them to sit flush.

Personally, I don't care for the hard, unyielding feel of the smooth plastic parts at the bottom of the wheel when the wheel is turning in my hands. Therefore, I like the fact that the Wheelskins cover covers the plastic trim. :cool:

A tip for installing the Wheelskins: Wrap some adhesive tape around your fingers to cushion them from the thread that you will be wrapping around your fingers to pull the stitching tight.

6. egeorge1

egeorge1 Eric

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Nice work. You have me considering a leather wrap again. I'm curious, did you consider hiding the seam at the very bottom behind the silver plastic or is it too thick to fit underneath?

7. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I thought about that before I got started but I was afraid I'd have to trim away a big chunk of leather and there'd only be a small sliver of stitching holding the wrap together so I didn't chance it. I pretty much waited till the last moment to figure out how I was going to do the cut, because if I messed up that could mean I'd have to buy another wrap. I first tried cutting the smallest opening I could make and worked my way up till the cover laid down fairly flush, and it turned out I didn't have to trim a whole lot to where it was flush enough that I was satisfied.

The leather at the seam is pretty bulky so I don't know if my technique of punching out a small whole would work, maybe if you lined it up just right so that you could punch a whole just beside the stitching and was able to conceal the stitching under the spoke. Then again the leather is so bulky at the seam I don't know if it would lie flush. Maybe someone could try and post the results. It'd be worth it, not only would it be aesthetically better looking but that bulky seam is not really pleasing to the touch either.

8. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good job in all respect.
    Thanks,

9. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    very impressive. I have a Prius C and am thinking of doing something similar (my car is deep blue with black interior and so I'm considering a cobalt blue wheelskin)

10. ThinkBigT3

ThinkBigT3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks great! May I ask why is it necessary to pull the Airbag? Is it not possible to just remove the silver plates?

11. mandasol

mandasol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The plastic silver plates have mounting brackets that screw down into the steering wheel frame and the only way to access those screws are to remove the airbag. There is no other way to remove them.

Some people actual prefer to cover the silver trim at the bottom of the steering wheel to give it a softer feel, so they don't even bother with removing the plates. If the lacing is done well I think it could look fine either way. I just wanted mine to look as close to factory as possible without spending hundreds of $$$ on a leather wrapped steering wheel replacement.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just disconnect the 12v battery before you do this. Inadvertently triggering the airbag from up close can kill you.

13. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Really nice job for a real OEM look.
    I put a Wheelskins on my wife's '12 v 5, but did not remove the wheel. It's a big improvement from the cheap feel OEM wheel.

14. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you "mandasol", especially for the step-by-step photos. Glad you took them when you installed the cover.

And thanks for the link on how to remove the air bag.
    (Yeah. I'll disconnect the battery, for sure!)

EDIT:
    I'm getting a charcoal color cover for my v.
    I'll buy some bright blue cord to lace it. Later my seat covers will have similar contrasting "Hybrid Blue" stitching.
    Lacing will be done with two needles to get a "baseball" style V-shaped stitching.

Thanks tanasit for the trunk latch reminder. I've been known to do some dumb things while working on cars...;o)

#14 Eric "v", Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five