1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When Gas light comes on, how many miles (approx) can you get before it runs out ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mwhaley99, Jun 7, 2006.

1. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I once drove for 65 miles on a flashing pip, then I ran out of gas and the car lit up like the Starship Enterprise under Borg attack. Now I get to the station as soon as possible once I get to the flashing pip...

Data Daedalus and giantpens like this.
  2. OklahomaPrius

OklahomaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New 2008 owner here I am learning. Ran out of gas on the first tank I full. I was trying to get back to my town before I filled up, dumb idea. Drove 487 miles on probably 10 gallons, the display said I was averaging 48 miles per gallon so it was right. The PIP started blinking at 420 miles and one square showing. I thought since it holds 11.9 I theoretically should be able to go at least 135 miles and I was only 80 from home when it started blinking I read somewhere it starts blinking with 3 gallons left. I also read DON'T over fill it so when I filled it for this trip I only put in 1/3 of a gallon after the nozzle shut off, a total of 9.1 gallons. I have concluded if you stop putting gas in when the nozzle stops (and that is what you want to do so the bladder and canister isn't damaged) you probably only have 10 gallons in the 11.9 gallon tank. Therefore "I state my name do solemnly swear to put gas in my wonderful Prius AS SOON AS THE LIGHT STARTS BLINKING" and not try to go another 67 miles.

3. Kyle bruhn

Kyle bruhn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am told by the dealer if one runs out of gas in the Prius then the system will not let you just put some gas in it and start again. It requires the dealer to reset the system.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the engine tries to start repeatedly without gas, you will set a code and need to get it cleared. So if you run it dry, do not try to restart until you have 3 gallons of gas in it.

xpcman likes this.
  5. bobeast

bobeast Junior Member

Your mileage may vary (Always wanted to say that in a real situation". I've gone 40, but I usually keep it under 20.

Data Daedalus and bobodaclown like this.
  6. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I notice the fuel gauge goes down quickly yet the car shows I'm getting over 43 MPG. Maybe I'm just used to driving a car with a big tank, but how accurate is the car at calculating MPG?

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Averaged over tankfuls, the computer is very accurate, but any one tankfull can be way off.

8. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As a rule of thumb, I used to go 60 miles after it started blinking with my '07. Never ran out of gas... Most it ever took was 10.6 gallons... Hope that helps!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. balaji6769

balaji6769 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i got the blinking light yesterday and miles to go to Gas station was 28, i drove 23 miles to gas station and it allowed me to fill only 9.4 gallons, what does this mean? Mine is a Prius 2010 III...thanks

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (so many North American Gen 2 owners ran out of gas due to the bladder, that even though the Gen 3 does not have a bladder) Toyota was very conservative, so owners did not run out of gas.

11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    seems like that bladder was a very stupid idea... i've never been able to fit 10 gallons in my tank any time of year no matter how far i drove with it blinking. someone mentioned a tsb about defective gas gauges; is that for the early gen2? mine was made in late '03.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The bladder was very effective at reducing vapors, it just was not very user friendly. Mine did not prevent me from filling up, but I did run out of gas once, just 7 miles after the last pip started blinking. And each tank was full with a different quantity of gas in it, owners wanted consistency. Being in MS, I could get 11 gallons in mine in the summer, if it was blinking, but mostly it was just not worth it. I can't drive 6 hours without a 'rest break' anyway.

13. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The float sensor inside the tank may got slightly stuck sometimes.
    It may not float to the top and thus the last pip not lit.

14. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the stupid bladder has disappeared in Gen 3.

15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    thats what i've read; i guess toyota learns from their mistakes, unlike german and american manufacturers. i wish someone would make a retrofit tank to eliminate the bladder, or possibly figure out how to fit a non-usa tank without causing the emissions garbage to throw a hissy fit.

16. Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    my gas meter is really odd, I drive 150~165 miles on a full tank before the first pip goes out then from there drops rather quickly. my last blinking pip i always fill back up immediately out of fear of getting stuck but it never takes more then 9.5 gallons

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The minimum distance I have driven before running out is 7 miles, I have heard of is 5 miles, but that was not the actual driver.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is well within the normal behavior of gas gauges, even outside of the Prius family.

Fuel gauges are generally just cheap indicators intended to keep drivers from running out of fuel. Several biases are built in to reduce complaints from non-geek, non-technical, and inattentive operators. These gauges often lack the precision, accuracy, and repeatability to provide the information that the more geeky and OCD operators desire.

19. eblade

eblade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We got 10.1 gallons in it last fill up, the Add Fuel ding first came up right as we pulled into the gas station. Was probably half a gallon more than we'd ever put in it at one time, before. Usually we're at 9.5 when it's on the flashing gauge.

20. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2nd Gen Prius T Spirit (UK) does not have the dreaded bladder as in the US models, thank goodness, so I'm always pretty much guaranteed to get anything from 41 to 44 litres into the tank at fill up time. I've had the warning bleep go off and driven 18 miles to my preferred fuel station, but I was employing hypermiler techniques (while keeping up with the traffic), and also ensured I built up enough HV battery power to get me the last mile in event of fuel starvation.
    I filled up with 43 litres that day, indicating that I could have theoretically gone further on 2 litres.

However, truth be told, you really don't want to completely exhaust your fuel supply - as the fuel actually COOLS the fuel pump which is situated INSIDE the fuel tank!!!
    Kudos to the PC member on here who enlightened me - as I had no idea.

It will over heat and fail if not surrounded by the fuel acting as a coolant for its operation. The trouble is, if it fails (due to overheating), the whole tank will have to come out to replace it.
    In fact, I believe it's actually part of the fuel tank itself - you may well be buying another fuel tank.

So it's a good idea to make a beeline for the nearest fuel station when the warning beep goes, regardless of what country model you drive.

How far can you go in the UK model? I'd budget to find a station while in hypermiler mode within 15 miles. You could probably go up to 40 miles or more, BUT do it in 15 miles. That leaves a reserve just in case your target station is closed, has run out of fuel, or is unreachable due to a massive traffic jam (caused by a terrible road traffic accident).
    That means you can divert to a secondary location and still reach it safely.

iPad ? HD