1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When is ICE Running?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 1bikeman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. 1bikeman

1bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We recently purchase a clean used 2010 Pkg 2. It has been a better car than I had anticipated. Not just a good green car/hybrid or great on gas.....it's a good car! This forum provided a lot of answers to our questions prior to purchased, and even more afterwards. I really appreciate all the knowledge I have gained.

I apologize, and thank you, in advance for this dumb question. I did a search of this forum, Google and several sections of the Owner's Manual before posting this.

How does one determine visually when the ICE is running? Specifically, where is this indicated on the display? I can sometimes tell when the ICE is running, but other times I'm not sure.

2. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The ICE is running if the EV symbol isn't showing on the dash.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP's 2010 doesn't have that EV symbol on the dash. Or least, my identical year-level did not.

That symbol was added in 2012 as part of the mid-cycle refresh.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is no direct display for this. If you are showing the simple animation that shows power flow, you can tell the ICE is one when the arrows show power going out of the engine.

Mike

#4 3PriusMike, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    BrianPB likes this.
  5. Dancing Badger

Dancing Badger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    When the instantaneous fuel consumption gauge indicates anything other than maximum (100 mpg on my UK spec car) the ICE is running.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    However, there can be times when it shows 100 mpg and the ice is still running. While not frequent, it does happen.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    gliderman likes this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    EXACTLY! Look at the HSI Indicator. When EV is not lit, the ICE is burning fuel. Cut and dry. No mysteries here.

HSI Indicator.jpg

HSI.jpg

Ice is OFF when HSI looks like above.

Ron (dorunron)

hybridbear likes this.
  9. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree - get yourself a Scanguage and mount it right on the dash behind the upper middle of the steering wheel. It's a cool "tool" to keep track of 4 things (you get to choose which ones) to monitor. It's cool when you start to go down a hill and the Scangauge shuts off. That's when you know the ICE is NOT operating. :)

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's when you find out that your ScanGauge is not set up right for a hybrid. I don't recall just which menu setting needs to change (its in the manual, which I read five years ago), but you shouldn't have to tolerate it winking out periodically while driving.

I prefer to watch RPM to determine when the ICE is burning fuel, but GPH and some others can also work.

hybridbear likes this.
  11. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You need to go into the ScanGuage set-up and configure it for a hybrid. It won't shut off after that.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Capture.JPG

When the instantaneous fuel consumption gauge (circled) is up to the top (or down to the bottom with liters/100km), and you're below ~45 mph, the engine's off. Above 45 mph my Scanguage will show minimum 900+ rpm, but the IFC gauge (and Scangauge) will show no gas being consumed. So maybe it's just turning over.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On US models, scaled in MPG, that is not definitive. In certain circumstances the car can be burning fuel as low as 0.2 gallon/hour, getting 100-300 mpg, and it will still peg that display the same as the no fuel condition.

If your Canadian (or almost anywhere else in the world, except Japan) car is scaled in liters/100km, then this display should be definitive, as either zero or not-zero fuel consumption.

This is another reason I hate the US MPG scale. If we can't go metric, then at least we should replace MPG with Gallons/100miles. That would get rid of many misunderstandings among the non-mathematician consumers.
    On my Prius, 992 rpm means no fuel. Any fuel burn displayed on GPH appears to create a higher rpm.

14. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can configure the "Cutoff" parameter on the ScanGauge to watch the fuel flow. The gauge will also accurately show the instantaneous mileage up to 9999mpg....well past the cutoff. It can also be configured to read l/100km, although I have not personally tried it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    impossible to know...