1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should gas engine start?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kingtucker, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Kingtucker

Kingtucker New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am a new Prius owner. I have a 2014 model. When I leave the house the gas engine starts before I get out of the drive way. This is not normal is it.

2. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, it is perfectly acceptable. It depends on lots of things. Throttle position, state of charge of the high voltage battery, temperature of the outside air (hot or cold), cat converter warm and light off.
    There are so many variables, so just be assured it is fine for the engine to run after start up.

I would say it would be worse if it did not start!

LG-D851 ?

Kingtucker likes this.
  3. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is it better to wait until it starts before driving off?

4. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, just drive it. You're driving on the electric motor anyway. The gas engine starts in 15 to 30 seconds after pushing the Start button.

Just drive it, you are not hurting anything. In fact, I would say that unless you live only a few feet from an Interstate, drive it normally. I wouldn't just cold start and drive 100 mph either...use common sense and drive gently for the first couple of miles if possible. No warm up is needed and the first few miles with any Prius, except for a Plug-in Prius, mileage is lower until warmed up.

LG-D851 ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! mine starts whenever it gets gas air and spark. all the best.(y)

#5 bisco, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  6. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And if driving only a few feet, let it go through the initial warm-up cycle before turning it off. Otherwise the restart likely will be rough.

FuelMiser and JTM2955 like this.
  7. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's always a wise guy. Under normal conditions, this is true. But I know of three Prii that didn't start when gas, air and spark were applied.
    A sudden change in temp will cause the Prius to have drivability issues. Three of them were stored inside at 70 degrees. There were pulled outside and the temp dropped to zero degrees. All three refused to start. Reason? Gas foul spark plugs, Zero degrees caused the plugs to blacken and we had all kinds of codes. And knocking noises like I haven't heard before.

LG-D851 ?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wise guy?:cautious:

JTM2955 likes this.
  9. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bisco. Mine has always started. A friend of mine asked me if I could drive my Prius in the rain. I said sure, why? Well it is an electric car, isn't it? SMH

LG-D851 ?

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not necessary, if circumstances are such that you safely can take it easy at first. With the shifter still in PARK before driving off, you can reduce the delay before engine start-up by pressing the accelerator pedal momentarily.

Be aware that for the first several seconds (up to about a minute, depending on temperatures) after the engine does start, the system relies mainly on the battery to power the car. Therefore, it's easier on the battery, as well as the engine, not to demand strenuous acceleration or hill-climbing too soon. That can be a problem if you live, as I do, near the bottom of a hill on a fairly busy road.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As mentioned, the engine usually starts within 15 seconds of pressing the Start button. There are a multitude of variables that affect when it does run, but my thinking (for the initial start, anyway) is that the car is also checking on the engine variables as well. Bottom line is, let the car do its thing, and get a feel for how the car operates under various conditions (including noises after the car is off.) That way, you can better determine if something is "off", and investigate further.

12. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My engine starts right after I press the start button on a cold start. I just sit and wait until the engine shuts off before I begin to drive only about 10-15seconds

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, I was going to say "Whenever the HSD wants it to". But then I would also be labeled a "wise guy". ;)

When you start the car after it has cooled off somewhat, the system will start the engine and run it for about 20 sec. to warm up the catalytic systems. The engine will then shut off if its power is not required. After that, it is run when its power is required. Do remember, the Prius runs on gasoline. Even the PIP runs mostly on gasoline (except for what, 10 mi or so?). So the engine's power is required often. :)

As stated above, you can drive the car immediately after turning it on (going to "ready"). Just be gentle for the first few minutes, as with any car. What "hypermilers" do is different than what is required for mere mortals.

YukYukLee likes this.
  14. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have tried some of that "hypermiling" stuff. There's nothing like seeing a semi about a foot of your bumper. But, taking an off ramp at 52 mph instead of 25 mph is a real eye opener.

The Prius is a true work of art and science. I just let the computer do the thinking. I still think its one of the best vehicles ever built. Best stupid question ever asked about my car? How long is the extension cord? I am not kidding. SMH....

LG-D851 ?

15. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car is good it wasn't the slow pick up that got to me it was the going over a bump while braking which the first time it happened my heart sunk lol but after awhile you learn how the car drives and I enjoy it the more I drive it. This is coming from a Subaru wrx lol!

JTM2955 likes this.
  16. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow, you came from a Subaru WRX? I had a '99 Accord, which I gave to my daughter.

I know that feeling. Prius does things differently. Not that its bad, it just drives like no other car.

If you haven't driven a Toyota Camry Hybrid, you should try one. It's all that a Prius is plus even more. Imagine, a bigger electric push. And it feels like a limousine.

We went to the dealership with the thought of buying a Prius V. We did drive the V but bought the Camry Hybrid. Maybe next time we will get the Avalon Hybrid. That is something else but too rich for my blood. JTM

LG-D851 ?

17. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah big difference! Have a baby boy coming end of next month wanted something more family like. If I were to spend the money for a Camry I would spend a little extra on a Lexus for the price they charge!

JTM2955 likes this.
  18. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Normal. As already said, the car knows what it's doing. You will start to notice certain things occur at certain times. Just drive it and try not to over think it too much. I believe it will be clear if and when anything ever goes wrong.

19. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Agreed. The only thing for us is the fact that the Lexus dealer is on the other side of town ( about thirty-five miles away ). But Lexus is a fine car. And they really hold their value.

Indeed, the Prius should serve you very well. Even with the age and number of miles I have on mine, I would drive it anywhere in America. JTM

LG-D851 ?

20. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Honestly if they make it AWD for the Prius I wouldn't think twice about buying it. Here in New England with the snow we get I am going to miss the awd. Thankfully my wife still has her Impreza lol