1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When the CA Green HOV stickers run out ...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ProudOfMyCar, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ProudOfMyCar

ProudOfMyCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got my PIP a month ago and my green HOV sticker thanks to some exhaustive reading on this site ... lots of helpful information!! Wondering what you think will happen to the cost of the PIP when the green HOV sticker supply is exhausted from, let's say from October to December 31st. I know there will be more stickers released in January, but I'm curious if you all think the price of the PIP will be more negotiable between that time, especially with the dealers that preregister their vehicles to get the HOV stickers. Either way, no regrets ... totally happy with my purchase!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More in January?

3. ProudOfMyCar

ProudOfMyCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the Governor just signed a bill to allow for 15,000 more stickers to take effect on January 1st.

rxlawdude likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know, that's why I asked. Source?

5. ProudOfMyCar

ProudOfMyCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    AB2013

Sorry, don't have enough posts to post a link to the story, but I saw it online at california news wire and green car congress

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. prius014pip

prius014pip New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where in the bill text does it say that it will be active only after jan 1st? My understanding is that it's effective immediately

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...AB2013 70000 green stickers posted by BILOFSKY here the other day.
    It's been so on again/off again we all finally tuned out

If CA lets green stickers die at 70000, I think we face lower PHEV sales nationwide since CA sells most of them anyways.
    I do expect price swings (stickered cars more expensive) during periods when the stickers are hard to get.

9. prius014pip

prius014pip New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read the AB2013 bill but cannot find where it says that the additional 15000 stickers only become active next year.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unless they have an urgency clause, bills in California take effect Jan 1. The bill's authors tried to add the urgency clause (which requires a higher vote threshold) but couldn't come up with enough votes, since the bill was attached to another one which had some political baggage (affirmative action for University of California admissions). So they put a 15000 bump in a budget bill, which went into effect immediately, with the rest in an ordinary bill. California lawmaking can be a bit inscrutable.

#10 CharlesH, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Inscrutable" is being too kind! I've yet to understand why our politicians are allowed to bundle items that have no discernible connection or relation in writing proposed legislation. :mad: If a bill won't stand on its own merits, then it has no business being brought for consideration. Just my humble opinion, of course. :rolleyes:

rxlawdude likes this.
  12. ProudOfMyCar

ProudOfMyCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @wjtracy but what do you think happens to the sale price in the interim between when the 55,000 run out and the next batch of 15,000 are issued? Do you think more deals are to be made because the dealers can't "hold stickers" over the heads of customers as a premium? Wondering if there are statistics out there regarding buying power of consumers during this flux period.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we are probably in uncharted territory.
    It's a complex dynamic depending on supply at the dealerships, if they are trying to get PiP's off the lot with discounts or not.

My thinking (subject to being wrong as usual) is that many Californians who knew they wanted PiPs for HOV stickers, already purchased eariler in the year, rather than risk non-passage of AB2013, which only a few months ago it seemed unlikely to see as many as 70000 green stickers. Now we dodged that bullet but demand seems weaker since we had huge CA PiP sales in the first half.

14. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't expect a big dip in prices during the interim. First, there are plenty of vehicles with stickers on the lot. Second, even if the vehicle didn't have a sticker, you could still get it 3 months from today. The big dip in prices we saw in April/May/June were the result of the uncertainty of any additional stickers, and hence a lack of motivation to pay a price premium over a standard Prius.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seriously, the prius gen3 is coming on 6 years old. Surely there will be discounts to move the units, just to keep up with the competition. Without substantial discounts, everyone would be on the sidelines waiting for gen4.

16. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're assuming that the Generation 4 PIP is released at the same time as the non-PIP version. If I were Toyota, I would scale back Gen 3 PIP production and keep supplies limited because of (1) more competing vehicles on the market, (2) significant cost difference versus non PIP, and (3) without the HOV stickers, there's less reason to purchase one after factoring reasons #1 and #2.

17. Skyfox2

Skyfox2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously- Which dealerships still have Prius with the sticker? I am looking to buy..doesn't matter where in California.

18. Mike-GS400

Mike-GS400 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I doubt there are any 2014 PIPs left, especially with stickers. As for 2015 PIPs, try Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota. She's pretty aggressive about trying to obtain stickers through the DMV dealer pre-registration program for all her PIPs as soon as VIN #s are available.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...ditto DianneWhitmire is her username here on Prius chat she'll get you a PiP with a green sticker.