1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do I apply for my Cali green HOV and rebate?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lexlaw69, Apr 22, 2012.

1. lexlaw69

lexlaw69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info - bought my plug in today (delivery tomorrow).

Buillt 3/23
    Delivered 4/23

2. lexlaw69

lexlaw69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.
  3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a special unit in Sacramento handling the HOV stickers, so probably you will get the best results sending your application to the address indicated thereon. No telling what might happen if you drop it off at your local DMV.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably the only time dropping it off would use useful is if you dropped it off at the DMV office in Sacramento that handles the HOV decals. :)

The HOV decal is the easy one: just print out the TWO page form, fill it in, and mail it along with a check for $8 to the specified address. No supporting documents needed.

5. lexlaw69

lexlaw69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you need to wait until you have your plates or is the VIN sufficient?

6. Sandiegomom

Sandiegomom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need the plates to apply for the green stickers. The VIN is sufficient for the rebate though.

7. noahismypal

noahismypal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I'm new to PriusChat and just got my PiP yesterday. The sales guy at Manhattan Beach Toyota told me that I did not need to wait for my Vehicle Plate Numbers and that I could go ahead and apply for my green stickers by dropping my form off at DMV.

This totally contradicts the previous post. Was he just totally off the mark?

I don't want my application to be delayed by sending it in incomplete. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

8. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're taking your chances. at various times throughout the CA sticker program (yellow, white, green) the DMV has sometimes held applications sent in with no plate # and filled the plate number in when it became available, and at other times they have summarily sent back forms with no licence plate number.

what i did with my leaf is i just called the DMV a couple of times each week, read them the VIN number and asked if they had a plate # in the system. when they finally had it, i sent in my form right away, rather than waiting for the plates to arrive in the mail.

with my PIP, the dealer (putnam toyota) actually handled the DMV application, and i think they managed to accelerate the delivery of the plates.

9. noahismypal

noahismypal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thank you so much for the great advice. I wish MB Toyota had offered to handle it. That would've been a lot easier!

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My dealer (Piercey Milpitas) not only handled the registration, but processed the plates themselves. They handed them to me four days after I got the car (there was a weekend in there). :thumb:

11. ultraseven

ultraseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both topics have been covered in two long standing threads, but I suggest waiting for the plates to come in and also ensure the registration card that comes along with plates have your name spelled correctly.

Mine had my middle name and last name flipped, although on the temporary DMV registration the dealer typed in, it was in the correct order. Don't trust the DMV in getting things right the first time.