1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where does this wire belong?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gizmocatrulz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Gizmocatrulz

Gizmocatrulz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I saw a wire which appeared to be cut or broken. This is in the front grill of the car. I have a 2010 Prius IV. Just purchased it off-lease in March. Any ideas? The car turns on and there are no warning lights on the dash. Any input would be really helpful. The wire is at the bottom of the front grill (sorry I could not rotate the image). Thanks!

wire.jpg

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only wiring that I know of behind the grill and in front of the radiator is the Outside Temperature Sensor.
    This should be the sensor that displays the Outside Temperature in the Climate Control display screen. Are you missing this temperature readout?

If this is the wire it would not make any difference in the way the car drives and would not trigger any warning lights that I am aware of. The Climate Control System uses this sensor in the fuzzy logic to control cabin temperature. I also believe that the HV battery cooling fan control uses this sensor.

There is a plastic cover over the top of the radiator in the engine compartment. If you remove this plastic cover you should be able to see this sensor in front of the radiator and the wiring going to this sensor. It looks like you should be able to splice the wires back together with a butt splice.

3. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From the pic, it looks more like a black pipe cleaner that was used to attach something to the front grille. Maybe a bow or red Rudolf nose at Christmas.

4. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you have a higher quality picture? It doesn't look like the bundle of wires that run to the outside temp sensor, there are to many of them.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably the hood latch wire.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It may have been to hold something to block the grill during winter.