1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to Get Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by icemchine9, Sep 28, 2014.

1. icemchine9

icemchine9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering where people have gotten their tires and which places have the best prices, warrantees, and service? Also, thoughts on which tires are best are welcome as well.

I live in Boston so if anyone knows a local place to go to that would be great but I'm open to larger companies.

Right now I'm looking for winter tires and Costco has the Michelin X-Ice 3s for $99 with a $70 rebate with a purchase of 4. The cheapest ones seem to be the General Altimax Arctics, found those for $68 per tire with a $50 rebate at tirebuyer.com.

Any thoughts would be great!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    costco is a good choice. for the other 3 seasons, i would run the michelin energy savers a/s. you can check tyre rack for a price comparison and if they are good, they will set you up with a local installer. i have tried all the local installers, discount, hogan, the red sox guy, etc., they're all a scam. be careful with winter gyres, you can take a serious mpg hit.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Costco will also have the Energy Savers.

There's a not insignificant disparity, Costco USA vs Can. What the market will bear, I guess.

Here's Costco Canada, price for the X-Ice3. Our $70 off deal (on a set of 4) starts Oct 06, so no difference there:

Capture.JPG

And Costco USA:

Capture.JPG

So, initial prices: $138.99 (Can), vs $99.99 (USA). With current (rough) Can to US exchange rate of 110%, translating the US price gives you $110: $29 (Can) per tire cheaper, $116 cheaper on a set of 4.

I've found in our OEM 215/45R17 size, the USA/Can disparity is even more extreme. Leads to a lot of undeclared cross-border shopping.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Add in wheels, pressure sending units, etc.

Living in the north ain't cheap.

5. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just picked up the new Michelin Premier A/S tires at Costco. Price is one of the main benefits, but the additional benefits of purchasing at Costco are listed in the image below. I have a Costco near me, so that makes it that much easier. As well, they routinely run pricing discounts. My recent purchase included $70 off the purchase of 4 new tires.

[​IMG]

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring