1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to program and how much $$? TPMS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adelii, Sep 24, 2014.

1. adelii

adelii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I bought 4 used original TPMS sensors on ebay and installed them on my winter wheels to get ready.

only to find out they have to be programmed!!! dammit!

Where can i go to get this done and how much you think these guys charge?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get a mini VCI Techstream cable and software off eBay or Amazon for under $30 and do it yourself. Then you also have Techstream to use for other things as well like programming in the reverse beeps to a single beep, etc.

SCH-I535

3. adelii

adelii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really? any link for info on that?

would i need numbers from sensor? because they are in tire already

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Keep in mind the -car- is what you are programming. It can only hold four sensors in memory. So you will have to reprogram it twice a year when you swap wheels.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone here (Mike?) was saying there's a way to make the new sensors a clone of the original, so that the car thinks they're one and the same. Then you can swap tires and the car's none the wiser. Heady stuff.

Still, luddite that I am, I'd just avoid sensors on snows. And same thing for the OEM rims if and when the batteries fail on their sensors, just live without them.

Until someone smartens up and makes a simple design, no special tools or intervention needed.

6. adelii

adelii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cant the tpms be deleted all together so the light stays off?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can attest: you will not notice the light after a while. Not sure if that's a good thing, if that lack of awareness carries on when you've got the OEM tires back on.

Anyway, ever notice that passenger seat air bag status light anymore, the one in a small strip above the glove box? The TPMS warning is even less conspicuous.

8. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ordered a new set of 16'' wheels and Michelin's, and the TPMS installed. I had to go to a Toyota dealer to get them programmed [ $90??] and found out they actually did not install the TPM's in the tires-- and got refunded the cost. My little light stays on all the time-- I never notice it. Besides, I have the ''Pro clip'' phone holder mounted on my A/C vent and when the IPhone is in it---it blocks the yellow icon anyway. Just took a 3,500 mile trip touring Colorado and it did not bother me at all, or Elsie, sitting in the passenger seat most of the time. We figured for the price of the monitors and programming them--- it did not bother us. I guess I could get the factory wheels broke down and then have the factory monitors installed in new wheels--- too much trouble and expense.

9. MCon

MCon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What a pain, I did my own snow tires this year, found the TPMS reset button, only to find it doesn't do anything without reprogramming. What a crock! Now I either ignore the light or find some black electrical tape.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have the Mini Vci which is about $30 from Amazon, you can program them in fairly easily....or you can simply ignore the light.

11. MCon

MCon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the miniVci come with instructions on programming? I'd hate to overwrite the wrong code!!

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would first need to have a 32bit windows operating system to run this off your computer. The rest is pretty much self explanatory, no instructions, trial and error. I think you just get the record TPMS code and program them in. It'll all be on the screen in front of you.

Many have done this and probably will ring in shortly to add to my not so great instructions. :D

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the one to get;

Make sure that you read and record the code numbers already entered in the ECU, so that you can reinstall the original TPMS transmitters when you change tires.

You can actually print out the current record with the codes.

Delete the original number and enter in the replacement codes. Print that out, too.

That's all there is to it.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if there's any practical reason toyota couldn't have set up the TPMS so that reacquainting the car with another sensor could be readily and easily accomplished via something on the dashboard.

(Just in case someone's reading along)

15. MCon

MCon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks folks. Based on Amazon reviews it looks pretty useful. I've ordered one.

#15 MCon, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  16. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They want the dealers to be able to charge the labor for reprogramming. :mad:

17. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a simple and brilliant solution for disabling the TPMS and turning off the warning light posted by "pEEf" back in January 2011. All that is needed is a small jumper wire inserted according to his instructions in post #54 of the below thread.

Idea to fool the tire pressure sensors | Page 3 | PriusChat

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I prefer to do nothing, not even tape over the light, when I have my (sensorless) snow tires on. Little amber light doesn't bother me. Then in spring put the OEM wheels on, light goes out.

19. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After ordering a set of 16'' wheels and tires with the TPMS installed--- they failed to install them. I got a no-hassle refund for the price, and now have the yellow light on my dash, which does not bother me [ or G/F Elsie ] at all, the same as Mendel. I guess I could get the factory set broken down and install them in the new wheels--- too much trouble and expense for me. I am 70 yo, 'spect I really do not need a light to tell me if I have a flat.........I also use the excellent ''Pro Clip'' IPhone holder mounted on my A/C vent-- which blocks out the light anyway, so no biggee to me. BTW, the reverse ''beeping'' does not bother me [ or G/F ] in the least and we both actually prefer it. I guess we deserve each other--- and probably will have a two ''Priuschat'' members wedding in the months to come. Maybe a first, huh? [ not trying to hijack this thread ]

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a big fan of the reverse beep too. Not that far behind you at 63, welcome the reminder.