1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max? 89S or 89H

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by markf57, Jun 3, 2014.

1. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried searching without any luck.

My 2010 Prius will need new tires soon. The OEM tires were Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (89S) tires. I found this to be a good tire for me. In searching, I have found 2 models of the same tire:

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires (89H, Treadwear 580, A, A)
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires(89S, Treadwear 540, A, B)

The numbers indicate that the 89H is the better choice. I'm looking for real world examples from this group. Can anyone provide any words of wisdom?

2. Denver Corrick

Denver Corrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2013 Prius II came with the Goodyear Assurance 89S tires. It just turned over to 15000 yesterday. They have been rotated regularly at 5000 mile intervals. SO far, so good. No complaints with them yet.

3. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. I was just googling lrr tires that don't seem to cost a fortune and wasn't sure which either, the h or s.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The S will likely provide better fuel economy. The H will likely handle better.

The Ecopia EP422 is generally better than the FuelMax but similar in a lot of ways. Though the EP422 offers good snow traction for a LRR all-season tire.

5. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any suggestions for an all season tire for those of us in that south? We get snow and ice on rare occasions, this year not withstanding. For us, it only gets below freezing a few weeks a year As I have stated the stock Yokos have no complaints from me and at 42/40 I expect a bit of a stiff ride.

6. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The 'H' rated tire is a little heavier and safer at speeds higher than our Pri can attain.... so it gets a little better treadwear score and temperature score... to me a safer tire but likely at the cost of a little more fuel over it's slightly longer life.

Roland

7. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. I was at Goodyear when the p metrics were becoming OEM and z rated tires were hitting the market. We were still selling bias ply (non-radial) "letter" designated tires for boat trailers and older cars so I'm a little behind on much of the industry lingo. Heck, I remember when car companies bragged about RTS (radial tuned suspension) and ogling the first set if radial "60s" I installed on a late 70's Trans Am. I've been googling myself to sleep catching up.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Michelin Energy Saver A/S is still my recommendation for a 15" Prius tire assuming you don't need snow traction. It's tough to beat in overall economy and maintaining decent performance in its class. For better wet traction the continental TrueContact (standard tire) or PureContact (grand touring) are better choices but you'll sacrifice some mpg.

Stratman likes this.
  9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Personally I am considering the Continental Pure Contact or Nokian WRG3's as my next set of tires. In both cases I am hopeful that they will suit the climate up here, much like Seattle I suppose, with warm dry summers, mostly wet with occasional snow but frequent early morning black ice patches and a hilly landscape.

those two tires might let me run them all year without the change over hassle and still provide reasonalble service life without a huge hit in terms of fuel consumption.

Anyone have either of those tires, or maybe another "all weather" tire to suggest?

Roland

10. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone here change cars in winter? I have a friend in Indiana who stores people's nice cars in the winter to drive their salt eaten ones.

11. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look at the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. Very quiet and long lasting. I got 60k out my last. They are quieter than the Goodyears as we had the those on my wife's Prius and they got louder as the miles went.

Stratman likes this.
  12. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I live in Colorado, as much as I want the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, it think the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max or the Ecopia EP422 is a better choice for me.

If I go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, I still haven't decided if the S or H is a better choice.

13. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I checked with directly Bridgestone and they stated that the Ecopia EP20 is more fuel efficient than the EP422. We replaced our Goodyear Fuel max with the EP422 on one Prius and much quieter and also replace Ecopia EP20 with the same on the other Prius.