1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Prius would you choose? Help me pick one :)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stevphe, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! love this forum and thanks in advance for your input!

So.. I'm looking at purchasing my first Prius and am weighing the options etc. I'm tossed between two and could use all of your input!

Car 1: 2012 Prius Plug-In, all the same features as the next car but no solar sun roof. I really wanted the solar sun roof it just seems so cool considering my car sits out in the open sun every day. I do live in the northeast though so I'm not sure I'd get as much use out of it as someone in the southwest but I still see a conisderable amount of use. This car would be used but with VERY low miles.. almost new.

Car 2: 2013 Prius 3 or 4 new.. solar sun roof option.

They would be roughly the same price.

TO SUM IT UP:

Pro Plugin: My daily work commute is about 15 miles total (Yes, I'm very fortunate in this regard) and I feel like the plug in would be good for this.
    Cons: No sunroof and would be 2012 model.

Pro Prius 3 or 4: Solar roof, 2013 year, get to pick some extras and get it new. Maybe better financing options..
    Cons: No plug-in ability for my commute :(

Agh.. help! is the solar roof> Plugin or Plugin<Solar roof
    Thanks!

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get the new 2013 with the super awesome moonroof :) I don't like used cars. There was some unknown reason someone got rid of a car and who wants to possibly have a surprise that something is messed up with that used car.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the 2013 Four with solar. Vote with your wallet and let Toyota know they shouldn't be putting fabric, limited adjustable driver's seats in $32k stickered cars, plug-in or not. Same goes for the Persona and the Three.

ralleia, JMD and WE0H like this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Softex interior has a very plush look and feel :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there two threads going on this subject?:confused:

6. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    haha bisco, I posted one in the plugin forum as well as regular since its 2 different cars and possibly 2 different sets of opinions. You're super active and were able to find both! Thanks for all your input!

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And I'm so easily confused! :confused: as always!

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The short commute would not justify a plug in to me as you have to pay.. what's odd is you didn't note any prices as it's all about what you pay no? My debate was what I get based on price. With the plug ins at least $5k more than my car, I would never make up the difference in savings.

Plug In at this time are like solar panels, expensive, RTI is limited but good for environment.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the Plugin the base model? You'd still get heated seats but a Four w/ Deluxe Solar Roof Pkg would net you an HDD nav, HUD as well as the solar roof. (The Three doesn't have the HUD or 7" HDD nav. It uses a 6.1" flash-based unit instead). In addition, do you prefer cloth fabric or SofTex material for your seats? Cloth is warmer in the winter but SofTex is much easier to clean. Cloth is plush, SofTex is soft but it's still a synthetic material.

Neither the base nor Advanced model of the plugin have "the same features". The Advanced model adds LED headlights, DRCC and PCS in lieu of the Solar Roof. It also gives you the ability to pre-cool the car with your smartphone (and charge too among other features).

ralleia likes this.
  10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're only looking for a sunroof, then u can get the three. The difference between III w/ solar & IV w/ solar is a big difference. I just bought a III solar and added leather for less than $1k. I didn't need the extras that the IV has over the III.

11. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ended up getting a Prius four with the solar package and HDD Navigation. I'm finding more and more each day that I'm really glad I went with the four with solar package, even though it was somewhat more than I was planning to spend. The HDD Navigation, from what I've read is more capable and has better resolution than the Display Audio Navigation unit, as well as having a lot more features, and is overall a better GPS unit. In addition, the fans being run by the solar roof makes a huge difference in keeping the cabin cooler, which could translate into being a lot better for the interior components over the course of 8-10+ years of ownership. The sunroof makes the car feel more spacious as well. IMO, the Prius four with solar package is a great way to go, as the Prius five has features that I don't need. Other option could be the Prius three with solar package, but you'll opt out of the Softex seats and HDD Navigation, but with the savings, you could always get a high end Garmin unit. Now that I've had the prius four for 4 weeks now, I'm continued to really be impressed with it. It truly is a fantastic car...all I need to do now is plan a long cross country road trip!

JMD and WE0H like this.
  12. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

why would the short daily drive not further push the plug in prius? at 15 miles round trip. the 2012 has an estimated range of 15 miles on all electric. Sure he might not totally make the entire trip on electric even getting 10 out of 15 miles on electric would make 1 tank of gas last him a LONG time.
    I get he is paying a premium. But he could try to negotiate on the PIP and get it for a bit less, then the gas savings on his daily drive and perhaps around town if he lives near most of the stores and places he goes, small savings in insurance insuring a 1 year old car instead of brand new. If he lives with in 15 miles round trip of many places he typically visits then he could make 1 tank of gas last 3 or 4 months.
    I do get what your saying in general though.

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I'm using the simple justification of savings if he had to get gas. At 45mpg(non plug in) and driving only 15 one way(7800 miles annually), in one year, his fuel cost would be around $700($4/gal). So in plug in at 100mpg, his fuel cost is $312. This equates to annual saving of $388. Let's say he's paying $5k more for plug in, it would take him 12 years to perhaps break even. This is only if he get 100mpg! Based on Fuelly, Plug in only gets 60mpg range. So doubtful you may ever break even after 15 years!

So from a cost stand point, I don't see justification. Also didn't include cost to get charger installed.

So the comparison to solar panels is similar.. it will take a long time to possibly break even. Do it to feel good but not to save money.

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Even if Plug In needed no gas for the 15 miles trip(assuming recharge station is at destination), then possibly recoup after 7 years. $5k worth of gas in a standard Prius get's you lots of miles!

15. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Personally I would stay away from the solar sun roof. If you want a "cooler" car get a light color like blizzard perl. They stay cooler in the sun than the darker colors. Get good tint as well. Anyways I don't like sunroofs. Generally (not always of course) they are long term high maintenance. If you plan on keeping the car for a while then at some point you will probably have to deal with the sunroof. On top of that the solar panels, from what I've seen and read here, are going to be a high maintenance item down the road as well. All after whatever warantee you have expires of course. It could mean a ton of money later, but maybe not. It's just a gamble I try to avoid if at all possible.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    charger is built into the car, and comes with L1 evse.

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Doh, I forgot to subtract the price of electricity which should be around $300/year per Toyota. So saving wise with Plug in, just don't see it.

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd get a new 2013 plug in for the same cost as you would pay a three with sunroof. PiP's are $4000 more again? Last I heard, same as three or slightly more. If not wait a couple of months when costs are the same. 3 hours for full charge with included plug. There's no need to install anything. 30 mile round trip commute means you would get gas once a month instead of every two weeks. If you could charge at work. You'd only have to fill up twice a year. Quite the time savings.

Solar roof? Eh, you got remote AC on the PiP.

19. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The fact that its a low range low capacity battery allows it to be charged from a standard 120V within practical time frames.

20. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If u want the solar roof only for cooling features, don't get it. If u want it for the sunroof factor, then it makes more sense.