1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which type of AC Compressor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by creature0077, Jul 11, 2014.

1. creature0077

creature0077 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, my AC compressor crapped out on me. I'm looking into parts to replace it and a lot of different stores list both a clutch and clutchless compressor. Does anyone have any idea which one I should get? It seems that Denso compressors are hard to find and when I do find them, they are really expensive.

I found from RockAuto.com a Four Seasons Compressor w/ clutch
    PartsGeek.com has a GPD Remanufactured Compressor that is clutchless.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? o_O

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you start by taking a good look at the installed AC compressor. You will note that there is no pulley on it, and an orange high voltage cable runs to it.

1. Therefore, anyone who wants to sell you a compressor with clutch clearly is selling you the wrong part. The Prius air conditioner compressor has a three phase AC motor spinning the compressor. The motor receives AC power via the orange cable. There is no need for a clutch since the inverter provides the correct voltage/frequency to the compressor motor based upon cabin cooling requirements.

2. I would be skeptical of an aftermarket source that claims to be selling the correct, remanufactured part. If you can't afford the correct new Denso part, it would be better to buy a used part sourced from a totaled 2G Prius. Good luck with your choice.

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As noted, it is an electric unit. It is also a rotary compressor. You might pick one up from a wrecked car at a junk yard.

4. creature0077

creature0077 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I know there is no pulley on it and that it is fully electric. That's why I was confused that Four Seasons listed it with a clutch. It says it comes with the ES18C which is the same as the one currently in my prius. My mechanic said I need to replace the compressor with the inverter at the same time. I thought the inverter is inside the compressor housing itself?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter is a separate part. It has the shiny large aluminum cover on the driver's side of the engine compartment.