1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whining Thread: Annoyed By Tinted Window Debacle In New Jersey

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JeffHastings, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I'll take heat and insults for this admittedly whining rant but so be it. My dealer, Toyota Of Morristown, offered a window tint option through them in August 2011 which I paid $299. for and which included tint on ALL side windows which I wanted to reduce interior heat, then unaware of the NJ window tint laws. I picked up my Prius in Sept. 2011, assuming all was legitimate with it. This past February, I was ticketed by an officer of the Hanover Township, NJ police force when I drove through their DMV checkpoint for having front driver and passenger side tinted windows, which I then learned are ILLEGAL in NJ. I was fined $54. and had to spend an unnecessary over 2 1/2 hours in court because that officer, #0761, Paul Gundersdorf, screwed up the ticket with a mandatory court appearance. Not only did he not apologize for his snafu, but local Judge Bryan O'Toole was unsympathetic and condescending when I tried to explain the facts. Moreover, I'm seething that an awful lot of drivers seem to be getting away with dark front tinted windows by having either PBA or "Go" cards apparently often issued to family members of cops to present if they get pulled over. I'm trying to get my dealer to get to the bottom of the 3rd party tinter's error but I already had them pull off the front side window tint since I felt I'd be ticketed again. I HATE the car without the tint in front; it's a lot hotter inside when parked in the sun now. Did I need to do that or should I have tried to get a PBA card with a donation to the local cops, also? I hate the idea of the PBA card; it's basically favoritism and denotes unfair enforcement of the law. However, full tinted windows are everywhere in NJ, despite the law. It amazes me that as long as I've been around, I didn't know about PBA cards or police shields on car windshields. I plan to make a complaint to the PD and the judge about my court appearance but I also plan to dig into the PBA card issue and whether it's being applied in my area. What do any of you think of this? Do you think I'm being ridiculous? Thought I'd take some heat for this but I'm soliciting opinions. It seems aftermarket window tinters will do all windows, regardless of the illegality of the fronts.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I get a degree of scorn when I try to start each window tint thread with the law of the applicable state. Your rant makes it more apparent why I do so.

Yes, it is not illegal to tint windows, it is only illegal to drive on public roads with incorrectly tinted windows. They are not at risk, you are.

3. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you clearly should have looked at the law in your state for window tint before you agreed with your dealer to do those windows so unfortunately the only person at fault here is you move to a different city different state here in California they really don't care I got limo all the way around except for the front driver and passenge rwhich I have 35 percent on the side

4. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, A PBA card is going to help you as long as: a) tints are the only thing the cop wanted to get you for, b) the township your in isn't notorious for enforcing traffic laws, and c) the cop is in a good mood.

Personally, I think tint laws in NJ are ridiculous when the surrounding states allow up to 70% all around but that's just my opinion. But looking past that, some townships let you get away with some things and some don't. For example, South Bound Brook down by me will pull you over for doing 28mph in a 25 zone...just avoid that town because you will get a ticket with or without a card. Other times it depends on the cop, I have a gold card and when I got pulled over in the rain one day I still almost got a ticket. I can't blame the guy tho, if I was standing out in the rain I would want to piss off someone else just for the discomfort. The other thing is to keep it reasonable. I have 70 on the back and like 50 on the front. 50 is much easier to see through (especially with bringht LEDs on the inside) then limo tint which is 90%. The single most important thing is also the most simple DON'T BE STUPID. I love when the guy at work complains about getting a tint ticket when the cop pulled him over for tints, 5-10mph over and no seatbelt. Drive responsibly and your less of a target

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    maybe you should have gone after the car dealer instead of a immediantly going to court.the dealership have known what was legal and or illegal in your state seems like he should hold a little bit of the cost

6. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Matt, the dealership is just providing a service not doing anything illegal, the OP did something illegal when he operated the vehicle with the tinted windows. They could have, and should have advised him appropriately but that would cost them the sale so they NEVER do. You can walk in and say "I just got ticketed for the tints you put on my car" and they will offer to put them back on just to make a buck.

7. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My expectation was that if the dealer offered it, it was legal. It didn't even occur to me at that time that front sides weren't legal. I think it's reasonable to expect dealers to offer only legally approved options in their region. Maybe that's genuinely naive of me but that's how it was. It was inconceivable to me they'd be allowed to sell an illegal option.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is only illegal on public roads. It is perfectly legal in their shop.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen police cars in NJ with tinted windows so it can't be much of a safety issue. The fight is probably not worth the hassle or aggravation. My advice is to let it go. Bide your time. Perhaps some day that cop or another cop will need your goodwill.

10. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    because that makes sense

11. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm waiting for a reply from the dealer on how the 3rd party contracted went about it. At this point, I'm just asking for an explanation before I take other steps. It seems from what I've just heard from others if you go directly to a 3rd party or aftermarket tinter, they will advise you. However, with me, it went through the dealer because the car was already in the build state when it was selected. The dealer didn't advise me and seemed shocked when I told them I was ticketed. One of the sales staff even lied to me; saying the laws were a grey area and were in the process of being changed, something the police vehemently denied.

12. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow...ok, I would complain about that. The law isn't a "grey area" at all, and they arent changing the guy lied to you flat out and you should say something about that. But honestly it is kinda rare you got ticketed, I blame the fact you went through the DUI stop and they would look for anything. I call those stops fund raisers. But just so you know, even third party dealers not come right out and say it but when I guy says 2 or 3 times "are you sure you want that" you'll get the hint. Know the shop too...reputable places are more forthcoming with information. I went to a place in Elizabeth and the guy tried talking me into getting the front windshield done too...yikes

13. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive most responsibly, always with a belt on and just below the limit. I was pulled over solely for the window tint at a DMW checkpoint conducted by the local police. Maybe the officer cited was in a bad mood or under the gun to make a quota. But he got an earful of my own mood later on in court when I bitched about how he handled the ticket. He didn't get me for my driving; both hands always on the wheel and never using a cellphone.

14. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's the problem I have with the entire process. All responsibility is on the driver, even if he or she is ignorant of the laws. The vendors can sell things that can't legally be used in that state; what is fair and reasonable about that? I know it may seem incredible to most of you that at nearly age 58, I don't know about this stuff but it's true. I had no idea about any of this prior to my ticketing. That's what I find most frustrating; that everyone else I talk to DOES seem to know. How did I miss this in over 40 years of driving? I'm not some teenager who wants to look cool; I just wanted my car to be cooler inside when sitting in the hot sun. This was in lieu of getting the Solar Roof option which wasn't readily available in cars within my preferred price range.

15. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can't possibly know all the laws. The installer should have told you the tint was illegal. I had my car tinted recently and the installer told me what was legal and that anything darker would be my responsibility.

16. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your assessment here is likely spot on accurate and had I gone directly to the 3rd party. I'm sure this whole flap would've been avoided. I'm sure being ticketed for this is rather rare since it took over 17 months for it to happen to me. The checkpoint was surely a revenue trap where they were looking for anything. My biggest beef is that ticketing for this seems rather arbitrary and is likely exempt for cops' family members, friends and likely, PBA big donors; a blatantly unfair practice. And I didn't like the attitude of the cited officer or the municipal judge on the ticket screwup. That's no way to treat an otherwise law-abiding taxpaying resident who was simply uninformed.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Go through Middletown, NJ and not only will you get a ticket for the dark tint, they'll take your PBA card and send it back to the issuing officer.

18. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Problem was it went to the tinter through the dealer without my getting any skinny about the regulations first.

19. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's how it should be. There should be NO PBA card. Nobody should be exempt from the laws, INCLUDING family members and friends of cops and judges. There should be no favoritism or nephotism; NO exceptions. One guy I talked to at my gym drives a BMW with full tint, NO front plate and the back plate covered with dark film but he's related to a cop so he gets out of tickets with his "Go" card. His car is blatantly illegal but he gets out of it as a cop's family member. I find this to be outrageous and morally unacceptable. I guess most of you just shrug if off.

DGH and ursle like this.
  20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    wow.. glad im not in NJ.

Worse things have happened.