1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

White noise from dashboard speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Satu, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Satu

Satu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I upgraded my sound system with keep the OEM head unit, but permanent, loud white noise comes from the dash speakers.
    I have a 2010 P3 with B9016 navi head unit, 8 speakers, Bluetooth, USB and iPod interface kit.
    The installer replaced the OEM speakers, installed a sound processor and an amplifier. The input signal comes from (before) the dashboard and front door speakers to sound processor, continues to the amp and goes to speakers. We would like to keep the navi and phone bluetooth functions. The 4 new front speakers (dashboard and front door) are driven directly from the amp, the back door speakers driver from the head unit directly.
    Is any idea why the white noise is so loud? Is anybody has a good idea what is wrong with this configuration?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought white noise was silent?

3. Satu

Satu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, it is silent (40 dB near the driver's head), but it very disturbing me. It is stand by, when the audio is off. When the ignition is off, the hiss stop.

4. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Satu,

I had a very expensive stereo install in my Prius too. Initially, there was hissing sound coming from the front dash tweeters and it drove me crazy. The audio shop didn't know where it was coming from so I took my own time and through trial and error, found out - the crossovers of my component speakers were mounted under the dash in an area with high electrical interference. I mounted them somewhere else and the sound disappeared.

Hope this helps

5. Satu

Satu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for reply. The dash and front door speakers are driven directly from the amp (4 channel). So I don't have crossovers in the system at the front speakers.

6. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    what happens if you disconnect the amp from the speakers.. is the noise still there?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there was any chance that I might hear Michael Keaton through my Prius dash speakers I believe I would do near anything to avoid it.

Grren4ever likes this.
  8. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Turn down the gain on your amp, adjust it from the off spot till you can almost hear the his, then back off a bit

9. Motr1971

Motr1971 Junior Member

I wrapped my crossovers in aluminium foil and ground the foil with a wire to ground, and I twisted the wires to the tweeters, no noise anymore :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about dianne keaton?

11. Satu

Satu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally everything were removed (except the noise reduction material) and original status was restored. The installer can't find solution the solve the problem(s). :(

12. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    sorry to hear the install went sour. Oh well. Better luck with next car!

13. Satu

Satu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally the factory JBL upgrade was installed into the car. This is big step from the OEM 8 speakers system.