1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who likes the stock speakers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Stratman, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The more I listen the more I'm fine with my stock speakers (the weakest link is the stock stereo, you're peeing in the wind if you don't replace them together). I'm watching a video of replacing the front door 6x9's and at the end the guy is dissing the tiny magnets on them. Those tiny magnets look to be neodymium going by the size and shape. 3 ounces of neo is like 20 ounces of the cheap round ceramic used in most speakers. Neo mags make for some of the best hi-Fi sounding and highest power handling being built. I'm a guitar amp guy who can tell by listening (to a degree) what type of magnet is on the speaker when I hear an amp in front of me. For a stock speaker, matched to a severely underpowered stock sound system, I think they are a pretty fare speaker.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the JBL audio (not GreenEdge since it's a 2010 model) and it sounds better than the Gen 2 JBL audio. I still think our 2002 Camry's JBL speakers sound better (and it could also be because it's a sedan vs. a hatchback or that the Camry has more sound deadening materials).

For someone who doesn't upgrade their car's speakers and isn't a "true" audiophile, I think it's pretty good. The front sound stage is wide and reasonably clear. The bass is less boomy than the Gen 2. The rear speakers, however, leave something to be desired. Sitting in the back, the sound is a bit hollow.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 III with JBL/navigation. No real complaints other than the difficulty overcoming the road noise of the Goodyear Assurance tires without having to raise the volume to louder than optimal level.

4. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if the speaker magnets are neo. I doubt it. The cones are cheap paper, and they are one way drivers.
    I also replaced the speakers on my 2002 camry. The magnets are much larger then the prius magnets, and they seem much more powerful.
    I have experience with neo magnets from taking apart hard drives, and the prius speaker magnets seem unlikely to be neo.

Even the cheap OEM camry speakers used some kind of plastic cone, rather than the cheap paper cone.
    Any name me one quality speaker that uses a plastic frame... There are none.. Even the OEM camry plastic frame is significantly more robust than the prius speakers.

I switched to some inexpensive kenwoods 6.5" 3 way speakers (which I now have for sale along with the adapter plates), and they sounded a whole lot better. Much better highs, lows, and I suspect they are more efficient than the factory speakers.

The prius OEM speakers are simply dreadful.

The OEM prius speakers have nothing to recommend them, except perhaps light weight.
    And the OEM dash speakers are also significantly worse than the OEM 2002 camry dash speakers.
    I have pictures of the prius vs 2002 camry speakers for your viewing pleasure at
    weasel.com: 2012 Toyota Plug in Prius Stereo which details my prius audio modifications.

#4 lopgok, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The stock speakers sound, well, stock, and nothing more. They do a good job of fulfilling the target goals of most factory car audio systems. They have ample bass with no rattling. They have a huge mid-bass hump that works to make even low-quality sources like talk-radio sound acceptable (by primarily making it audible) over road and wind noise.

However they are nothing like high-fidelity. The bass is over-emphasized to the point that all music is made boomy (another customer preference however - check your rental cars - 99% of the time the bass has been cranked by a previous driver to near the max) and there is no distinction between various bass instruments. The mids and highs lack detail and are generally muddy.

That said, unless one compares it directly to another system that sounds better, the vast majority of owners are going to be pretty happy with it as it gets loud, doesn't distort, doesn't rattle, and has plenty of boom.

6. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. There is always a compromise for "good enough" in a sound system. That bass midrange hump enhances the low end due to the placement in the bottom of a door pointed at my leg, while a small driver placed up on the dash reflected off a glass windshield fills in the highs and some midrange (especially if there is no crossover which is a compromise in itself). "Hi-Fi" actually refers to an analog signal in vs signal out with no equalization. Completely flat response from an amp section. Distortion isn't necessarily speaker buzz, it's any change from input to output (non-linear distortion). Today's listeners seem to be more concerned with thumping bass. With an instrument amp you're making the music, (distortion good) with a sound system in a home or car, you're playing back the music that was made (distortion bad) without trying to color the sound. Doping the surround (rubber cement looking stuf painted on where the cone attaches the frame) and spider (the bellows looking part below) and replacing the felt center cap with one made of aluminum would probably have a noticeable improvement in deadening the boomyness and enhance the upper register.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know how it measures out on a sound meter, but to me it sounds clean and "natural". I'm surprised anyone would say it's too bassy, given that lack of bass seems to be most switchers' main complaint and focus. It's a truly extraordinary ear that can hear or approciate hi-fidelity over the road noise. I think what most people miss is bigger "presence", which to me sounds unnatural. After searching for home speakers that would sound great for music while still being adequate for home theater purposes, I came to value clear, natural sound over "blow your socks off" presence. Bottom line, I like and am satisfied wtih the stock system, but I claim no special expertise, only a personal preference.

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They're adequate for me, but are far from what most people would call good.

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The stock system, like most that are better than bare-bones is 'bassy' in that everything has a lot of mid range punch that isn't present on a higher quality system. It doesn't have the real low end of a high end system, however. My PiP system is stock, but the system on one of my other cars has several thousand dollars invested in it. Initially, the Prius system sounds 'fuller,' but in time, it becomes apparent that this isn't terribly musical. Discerning individual bass instruments is difficult when compared to my better system. At the higher frequencies things sound flat and lifeless. Most of this is audible even over the road noise, and it doesn't take anyone special to hear it, you just need to live with systems of differing characteristics for a while where the differences eventually become obvious.

At lower volumes I would actually say the Prius system is somewhat better, because that fullness means the music and talk is more easily audible. Yet the difference at higher volumes is striking. The Prius' system doesn't beg you to push it when you get into a great song. Yet my more expensive system does just that; it sounds more like music, and gets loud cleanly and effortlessly which just begs you to turn it up, which I do frequently with that system. That virtually never happens in the Prius.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    frodoz737 likes this.
  11. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    JBL Green Edge Speakers, certain songs they seem to generate rattles, dealer said nothing wrong with speakers, I got some Dynomat for the doors around the speakers problem solved….

I do like the sound though they are decent…. coming from a BMW with Harmon Kardon I'm impressed with what Toyota did.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't disagree with your explanation. I listen at low volumes, have low expectations when in a car, and don't spend enough time in the car to care. The stock JBL system definitely can't suck me in like my home system. The punched up mid range you describe seems akin to turning on dynamic volume on a Marantz receiver when listening to movies, to make the dialogue clearer. I'm just glad the JBL system is clean and clear at the volumes I listen, even with road noise.

13. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good description of "presence" to a listener. Presence in an instrument amplifier can be used to help fill in everything. It's sort of an "extended" mid range control that can really fill a room. In a playback system it can be unnatural and make any vocals sound like they are right up in your face which would be good for talk radio over road noise. Most mass produced sounds system tone controls aren't much more than treble cut circuits. Nothing really gets boosted. The mid "presence" circuit is there, it's just a fixed resistance instead of an adjustable pot (knob).

14. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not me.

15. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For now, I prefer the stock speakers as silly as they appear. This weekend I swapped three different sets of front speakers and they all had no bass. It sounded like a downgrade to me. I tried turning the base all the way up the fader to front and volume to almost max. Sound quality wasn't as good to my ears. The weird thing is the same speakers sounded great in my 360watt stock Honda so it must be the Toyota head unit. So with all doors having sound deadening applied the stock speakers sound pretty decent to me. I highly recommend sound deadening as your first mod if you are looking at an inexpensive way to get more out of the stock speakers and get that nice solid sound (almost Lexus like) when closing the door. Of course a more substantial audio upgrade will sound best but I just got the car and want to keep it stockish.

Speakers tested: Polk db651s, Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675x2 and Kenwood KFC-6965S.

Ashim123 likes this.
  16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, prius speakers are OK, better than the other toyota cars i have/had. i had them tested with a test CD with a full frequency sweep and haven't noticed any glaring problems. anyone expecting high fidelity sound in a car with all that road noise is a bit naive.

but i can see sound lacking in the second row. you can't have good sound with speakers just in the door. sedans with the speakers in the shelf behind the seats are hard to beat.

#16 Former Member 68813, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    CoolPrius likes this.
  17. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Stratman, You are right on point. Being a music man all my life (guitar, trumpet) I cannot believe the stock balance sound from this system. I grew up in the 60's when amplification was reaching an all time high. Teac, Techniques, Kustom, Fender, Henderson, Pioneer, Harmen Kardon, etc. A friend of mine back in the 70's use to custom build his own stereo system in his car. This was before you could just go to a store and buy the amps with all the by-passes and cross overs built in it. He built his own amps, put them under the seats, soldered resisters to his speakers, did his own cross overs, installed a 60 bar equalizer (yeah, he was crazy like that!) and then he would buy (his favorite) this Pioneer under the dash board unit that weighed about 30 pounds!! When he was done, we would sit in his car and listen to Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon. Tell you what, nothing built today comes close to what this man could build for cars!! By the way, I totally really laugh and respect your photo next to your name! Pretty much spells it all out.

Anyway, I like the stock system in the car. The magnets in these cars save weight and deliver the quality needed. The only thing I want to do is boost it a 100 watts to get over the road noise.

18. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

P.S. the montgomery for me is from my favorite jazz guitarist, Wes Montgomery.

19. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    16 Prius v w/ Nav not JBL.
    Tolerable sound...not so bad.

If I was to change a speakers I would start with the left and right ones on the dash.

Dash speaker seem difficult to access though.
    Doors seem OK.

20. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just added a small amplifier and a DLS subwoofer in my trunk, that helps for the missing bass issue. There's a DSP in my player so all the speakers could be adjusted separately (frequencies, levels and delays). Sounds pretty amazing with stock speakers.