1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who sells the most cars and trucks in America?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 5, 2006.

?
  1. Toyota?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nissan?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ford?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chevrolet?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dodge?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nissan?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lexus?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Honda?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mercedes?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mazda?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Suzuki?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Hyundai?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Saab?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

There malorn goes... implying that all of us Prius owners are part of the problem and are not patriotic.

Malorn... you're hopeless.

2. slortz

slortz New Member

Sorry I couldn't get to responding to this post yesterday.
    Here we go again. You realize you forgot to say "period" at the end of your statement. :rolleyes:
    Give me some evidence that the subscriber list is not a random sample.
    Consumer Reports sends out a survey to anyone that subscribes. Are you implying that they somehow selectively control who will subscribe making sure they are mostly import vehicle buyers?
    Anyways, even if that ridiculous scenario were true, it is a moot point because people are basing their answers, positive or negative, based on their own experience with the car, not whether there are more subscribers out there that have the same type of car. Then those numbers are made into percentages. So if you had 100,000 import owner respondants and 50,000 of them had bad experiences with their car and the other 50,000 loved their car the satisfaction level would be 50%. No different than if 50 domestic owners responded and 25 loved the car and 25 hated it--50% satisfaction level. Of course, I'll admit if the test sample is too small the results could be skewed with respect to the real norm, but that skewing could result in overly positive results or overly negative either way. If this situation occurs then ConsumerReports will indicate that there is not sufficient data for it to be as trustworthy as the rest. For example, the reliability data on a car that has only been around for 1 year is not sufficient to time/data to base a record of reliability on.
    Unless you are saying that all of the Asian import owner respondants are being dishonest about their experiences with their cars you really don't have an argument. Are you saying that?

Good example regarding the stalling problem. You make it sound like a majority of Prius owners are encountering this problem and Consumer Reports is stamping the car with great reliability in spite of this. Wrong. The great reliability marks are made because even though there have been these cases of stalling the percentage is extremely small. That is not to say that those owners that had it happen to them weren't upset. Well, are they going to lie about their experiences if they fill out a ConsumerReports survey? They'll be one of those customers that will switch back to domestic brands or consider something else if they don't trust Toyota.
    The reality is that if Toyota is actually manufacturing cars that people are having problems with then those people will eventually move to another make. If and when that happens, ConsumerReports will report that. Look at Mitsubishi and Nissan, those companies aren't exactly getting rave reviews over domestic manufacturers.
    Brand loyalty only goes so far, even for yourself, after all you're looking into buying a Toyota dealership. Whatever. If you want us to believe everything you're saying is true why would you be doing something like this? Seems you don't have any faith in your own "gospel." ;)

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Kindly tell me what is different about "Japs" being short for "Japanese" when:

1. "Pole" for "Polish" is not offensive
    2. "Brit" for "British" is not offensive
    3. "Aussie" for "Australian" is not offensive.

Sorry, but the dictionary is WRONG in this case.

Also note the context is nothing but positive praise.

So, kindly refrain from infringing on my 1st Amendment right.

I am NOT politically correct for ANYONE'S benefit, including Miriam Webster.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so the word is not offensive to you. we have gathered that. we have also gathered you will continue to use the word. since when is consideration for others based on one's own feelings?? if that were the case, then nothing would be offensive would it?

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

First off, no matter what, whatever I say, is going to offend somebody, somewhere, somehow.

No, I'm saying the definition is wrong. The "vernacular" is not only wrong, but RACIST in nature. Racism created the "definition", maybe we should take steps to re-define it in a positive light, as racism has succeded in obtaining the status of an accepted "definition" in the first place.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From what I've read and what I was told by someone at the Toyota dealership where I bought my Prius what I stated was correct. Ford's indenpently developed technology was liable to infringe on patents that Toyota had already registered. Therefore, the two companies came to an agreement that made everyone happy. Ford did not buy the THS or HSD from Toyota and slap it in the Escape.

7. QED

QED New Member

I am not infringing on your 1st amendment. I'm not telling you not to use it. I'm not censoring you.
    I simply asked you nicely not to use the term "Jap". To many, many people it is a derogatory term on par with some other racial slurs, and when used, it is in very poor taste. It is not in common useage for that reason. Comparing it to other terms and saying you used it in a positive way is disingenuous.
    Also, it is not a matter of political correctness, and it does not benefit me. It's a matter of common courtesy.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but it seems I was wrong. I'm sorry you don't get it, you probably never will. I cannot overcome your hubris. End of discussion.

8. QED

QED New Member

Thanks for the support. I should have known better than try to educate ***CENSORED***

Gee, there went my 1st amendment rights.

Sorry, let's get back to the previously scheduled tread.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no prob, sent ya a PM

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My point, in case my lengthy rantings were too vague, is this:

There is no amount "talking down" to me that will get me to buy a domestic car. Period.

The domestic agenda is to insult me for not buying their product. This is not going to work. Tell me I'm smart, tell me you respect my vehicle choice, hell, tell me I'm handsome. The "sales pitch" that is currently associated with the domestics is to INSULT me and my vehicle. Even Saturn had an anti-hybrid commercial comparing the car to a moped. Does GM really think that will get me to buy a Saturn?

Attention domestic automakers: Stop insulting me, stop declaring me to be the root of your problems, the cause of the country's woes. You have alienated me with your cockiness. You thought the "insult campaign" would help galvanize the domestic buyer, and it did, the Hummer H2 buyer sure does love to drive like an donkey, threatening people's lives and burning gas as fast as possible. And the ad campaign for the guy who owns a GMC and drives it offroad to the annoyance of the construction crew, well, that sure does draw in the rednecks, now doesn't it? Chrysler, your new Hybrid Charger "that burns rubber and gas" well, that sure is clever, maybe some redneck will pony up for that bad boy as well!

But the defection continues. You take pleasure in offending me, the import buyer, and it sure does bring in buyers for the domestics. But the problem, according to the Detroit News, is that the wealthier buyers are not buying.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-280996.htm

"the most desirable customers flocking to foreign brands." You want me in your showroom? The new Tahoe? H3? Insult my Hybrid? My patriotism? My manhood? Not a chance. Better get that steep discount ready, GM. Sure, you'll lose money on every car, but you'll make it up in volume. After all, Chevy is the number one selling car in America! (oops, I mean truck. Number one selling car belongs to someone else).

Wow as I type this, a new redneck ad, featuring rednecks, is on the TV. "That thang gotta Hemi?" Need I say more?

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Mystery, wrong comparables, your list should have included

Krauts
    Pollacks
    Limeys
    Frogs
    Spics
    Jigs.......

The others are right...apologize and move on. We all must grow as we age.

12. Arklier

Arklier New Member

Toyota sells the most cars, there's no doubt about that. I would be very interested in more current figures during the post Katrina gasoline price skyrocket.

Does Malorn do anything but bash Toyota and the Prius? Does he even own a Prius? Or any Japanese vehicle for that matter? Since I suspect the answer is a no based on his replies, I think it's safe to mark Malorn as a troll. Why he hasn't been banned before now, I don't know.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're not alone in that, Nate. I know what you're saying. It would take ten years of glowing CR reviews of an American car before I'd even think about buying one. I didn't say "buy" I said before I'd THINK about it. We both know that that's never going to happen. Back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was popular for the rank and file to have a "Real Americans Buy American" bumper sticker in red, white and blue on their old, beat up, haven't-bought-a-new-car-myself-since-I-joined-the-union American POS. One time, back then, I saw a little Toyota with a bumper sticker that said "Real Americans Buy What They Want" and I couldn't agree more. Then and now.

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am in complete agreement that what you wrote above is 100% correct. It's pretty clear that the spread of misinformation about the origins of Ford's own hybrid technology is a sore point with Ford. What I was correcting or clarifying was the piece of technology that Ford licensed back to Toyota. It was diesel engine technology, applicable to both cars and trucks. You called it "Truck Technology".

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Speaking of redneck ads. How redneck are the Toyota Tundra ads: one where the truck is struck by a comet and the other where it is bombarded by stuff to haul. I would say that a certain truck company has a very well-deserved case of little man syndrome.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you just wake up from a long slumber. I own far more Toyotas than anyone on here. I am just tired of GM and Ford taking it on the chin and Toyota consistently getting a 'get out of jail' free card on every issue. By the way Nate you may have convinced yourself that driving a Toyota helps save gasoline, but no manufacturers overall fuel ratings are falling faster than Toyotas. What bs do you have to say to that?

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No stereotyping in that post.

18. slortz

slortz New Member

First of all, you never addressed anything I asked in my last post. But whatever, here is another opportunity to bring up the same point...where's the substance and support for your statements?
    "I own far more Toyotas than anyone on here." How many Toyotas do you own exactly and how do you know that that amount must be more than anyone else here? Also, if you are speaking of Toyotas sitting on your saleslot that is not really the same as personally owning and driving the vehicle everyday.
    "I am just tired of GM and Ford taking it on the chin and Toyota consistently getting a 'get out of jail' free card on every issue." Again, you aren't talking about anything here but your emotions, which I think is a problem you have with most of your posts. If you're going to make such vague and unsupported statements you may as well blame your discomfort with the US auto marketplace on the devil then everyone would be happier.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    One of several hundred articles on Toyota being crowned number 1:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...DAB0994DD404482

Article saying 'not so fast' Toyota:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2/1002/BUSINESS

Amusing little article about Toyota and its 'green' image:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...B/51229022/1012

Are these articles my emotional rantings?

As far as owning and driving Toyotas I usaully 'own' between 10 and 20 but never drive them, so I really don't qualify as a Toyota 'owner'.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not sure how these ads feature rednecks. I believe the Toyota Tundra ad finishes with "Built for the Long Haul" a reference to durability and dependability. Now that's a message for an intelligent person!

Howie Long attaching trash cans to a bride and groom's new GM truck? It screams redneck.

Nate