1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

who's right, toyota shop or reliable garage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by john70, Jan 17, 2014.

1. john70

john70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got a prius 2010 and took it in for an oil change at the dealership. They told me that the rear brake was metal on metal. they quoted me as follows:
    brake pad set $133.00
    brake shim kit $16.80
    brake repair kit $41.00
    disc brake -2 $179.00
    labour $150.00

They added if I needed new calipers than the were $250.00 each. Total with taxes would be well over a grand.

I went to the neighbour hood garage where I have taken my last 2 vehicles for the last 15 years and they looked at the problem and quoted me $260.00. They got the job and did it for $248.00 taxes in.
    They resurfaced the rotors (not sure what that is) and replaced the pads and cleaned and lubed the caliper slides.
    Costs as follows:
    resurface $34.00
    labour $126.00
    oe ceramic brake pads $55.56
    shop supplies $6.00

Not knowing anything about cars did I make a wise decision. From a mechanical point of view what was the right decision?

I appreciate any comments.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you went to a trusted professional mechanic to do this work, I'm sure it's all you'll need. The dealers always add on as much as possible to what you really "need". As long as they didn't bleed your brakes, you should be fine. The brake bleeding would require special software from Toyota.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Toyota dealer didn't do anything wrong, some resurface rotors some don't, their overhead is larger, as you must have needed brake work, not a made up artifact, it seems legit, parts and labor, you saved on parts by resurfacing (grinding the irregularities out of the disks), not to say some dealers aren't pirates.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $133. for 4 pads? seems hefty, but i haven't checked. you definitely did the right think, i always go to the local guy, never had an issue. how many miles on you car? did you already do the fronts? did your guy show you the old pads?

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    If it were me, I'd order the parts from an internet Toyota dealer and then get the private mechanic to install it.

The private mechanic most likely used aftermarket pads which I found squeaked a lot in my previous cars. As for the Toyota dealership, they need to pay all the technicians, and keep the shop and dealer running well. They'll milk you dry if they got the chance! My best buddy works at Toyota and he tells me all about the horrible scams that they pull on customers.

So in conclusion, you did the right thing.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like they're trying to pay all the technicians with this one job.:p

7. john70

john70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw them take the pads out and one had one the complete side worn down on an angle. The mechanic thinks it might have jammed. I only have 40,000 K on the car. From now on I know where to take it.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There must be something wrong with the calipers to wear out pads in a prius in 40,000 miles.
    Or maybe the pins just needed to be greased?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently traded in my 2010 Prius III.
    It had nearly 70K miles on it.
    Original brakes, still working just fine.
    Seems like there may be an issue that caused yours to fail early.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be my concern as well.
    I think the OP did fine getting the "symptoms" addressed. Worried there might be a more dangerous disease.

princessprius likes this.