1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's thinking about canceling your preorder?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by moolman, Jan 19, 2012.

1. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I was talking about the Volt over the PiP. Naturally the Volt (and PiP) will be more fun to drive than a conventional car.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would be so easy to cheat the "pay to drive" system... You just keep the transponder in a metal bag, and if you're ever pulled over, you pull it out of the bag as he's pulling you over.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look at the market. Everything is going to be 15-20 miles of range. The Volt will soon be on an island by itself in this market.

4. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Getting back on topic, I just got laid off so spending $40K for a car is now out of the question so with delivery getting so close I decided to cancelled my PIP order. This is like a curse, I was set to be one of the first to get a Classic Prius but got a lay off notice just a few weeks before I was going to place the order. Don't know how the 2005 slipped through the net.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's terrible! I wish you all the best luck in the job market.

6. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the post you quoted for the question was comparing the posters current prius and his current Volt. I don't think anyone here has actually driven a production PiP yet, so that kind of comparison will have to wait til spring.

from the few reviews I've read the journalists thought the pre-production pip was still very prius-like in its handling and driving experience. I don't expect it to be significantly more sporty than a liftback.

I also am not a fan of blended EV operation, so I suspect I would still prefer oil free driving to hyper efficient oil driving.

7. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, im planning on picking up my leaf today. But, I'm not canceling my PiP order until I actually have to. You never know!

8. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I cancelled mine.

I'm waiting for more EV miles and/or a Mazda5/Prius v body style.

A PHEV Prius v would get a look at. By the time it appears, we may have a better idea what the PHEV Prius can do as an EV IRL. The Ford C/Max or Fusion Energi PHEV looks nice. But, I'd have to park my politics to buy one.

I hear that. My Leaf is doing everything under 70 miles without gas. In fact it's doing much more than I thought it would and doing it better. Nissan has treated me like a VIP every time I've had to deal with them. (The last time was yesterday, by the by). So it'd be double tough to go back to having to deal with Ricky Roma's Toyota just to buy a car.

But I need a back seat, and with all due respect to the Volt, it simply doesn't have one. (Yes, I've tried it).

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got to ask, since the c-max energi is close to what a prius v phv would be, what politics will be stopping you?

10. moolman

moolman Member

Thanks for the insight... When I see the outlook for plug in vehicles, it seems more like 30 miles will be the norm and it'll become the norm within 2 years.

11. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I owned two Toyotas in succession before buying my current guzzler in 1997. I promised myself I'd buy a plug-in hybrid as soon as Toyota made one.

So I'm not cancelling. I trust Toyota's technology more than most of the other manufacturers. 15 miles will cover most of my driving.

That said, I expect that in a couple of years my PIP will have depreciated more than average because (1) there will be more competition, (2) Toyota will have increased the EV range and polished the technology further, and (3) the excessive premiums Toyota is demanding for plug-in and the Advanced features will be reduced.

And it'll be available in better colors.

But I'm still not cancelling.

12. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no new cars coming in the next 2 years with 30 miles of AER.

One exception is the new Mercedes PHEV (E plus). That will have some 60 miles of range - and commensurate price.

ps : I should add - if you are worried about PIP getting obsolete (it will !) then lease. With the somewhat rapid development in plugins expected over the next decade, I think it best to lease (unless you want to just drive for 10 years and not care about resale value).

1 person likes this.
  13. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: excited!

Hmmm… hadnt given that idea ANY thought. We should talk about this before I come up to pick up my new car in a few months, Dianne!

14. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

I'm working out a sort of group buy price for us... I'll be touching base with everyone the way I always do to see who's possibly interested. A small show of hands to elicit feedback on a deal from my leather guys!

I happen to really like the misty gray leather that Toyota's had for the past few years, so I will probably have a 2-tone car inside. But, it doesn't bug me.

15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I'm interested in leather if the price is right.

16. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

I think I may have as many as 20 folks wanting to do leather. I'm trying to make sure that the group arrangement doesn't apply ONLY if we all choose the same color, because that wouldn't be good for everyone. I know the factory-match color and I don't like how dark it is. :eek:

17. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have considered cancelling my PiP and, instead, ordering a loaded Prius 4 with the solar roof package. I love new technology toys and I really wanted to get a car with the new HDD screen and advanced navigation package. I could afford the advanced trim PiP (even paying cash) but it is a lot more money (more than I planned on spending on a new car).

My wife asked me the other day if I thought the advanced trim package was worth the extra cost, and, after thinking about it for a while, I had to say 'no'. If the advanced trim came with additional EV capacity that might have changed things. I can not justify the cost yet I still want one with all of the fancy toys. It just seems overpriced.

I guess I'll just put the extra $8K away, saving up for the next new car.

18. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cancelled when I saw the crappy color palate and found out that the sunroof was not available. You would think Toyota would want this vehicle to get noticed, not with these colors. I had every intention of dropping 40 G's on the advanced but I'm not going to settle for Easter egg blue or grey. I will wait because Toyota will eventually include a power out option like the Japan version.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is a power out option?

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon