1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do I need to accelerate downhill?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by RooRocks, Jan 23, 2014.

1. RooRocks

RooRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm a little confused on how the Prius PIP functions on declines. There are areas that in every other car I drive that will allow the car to gain speed with no increase in throttle but in the PIP I lose speed.

Does the PIP auto brake?

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Foot off the accelerator is designed to emulate same in automatic transmission car (regen in lieu of engine braking).

To remove that effect, slightly depress gas pedal.

Also, check tire pressure and make sure no brakes are dragging (in neutral, you should not feel any negative g's as you glide).

'Normal' cars vary in how they coast. Prius regen's noticeably unless you fix it with your right foot.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As it does this it is regenerating, sending electricity to the big battery. Or as stated above lightly put foot on gas peddal and help it glide.

4. RooRocks

RooRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Awesome thank you for the help. I am still working on getting use to the car but I am having a blast trying new things.

I found I was getting better gas mileage if I left EV mode on while driving on the freeway. I was turning it off and then using it again when I got off. I was averaging 300ish mpg using EV on the freeway going 75mpm and dropped down to 160ish when I turned it off.

My commute is almost 22 miles and when I arrive to work I still have about a 1/2 mile of EV to go.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To put it simply, yes. When your foot is off the pedal, the car uses some of your momentum to regenerate the battery. Just about all plug-ins and hybrids do this. Regular cars don't do this as they have no battery to regenerate so coasting is more fuel efficient.

iPhone ?

6. RooRocks

RooRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That Fuelly App is nice! I'm going to start tracking.

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When you let off the throttle in a conventional car, you slow down in part due to compression breaking; the engine compresses the air, but with little fuel (essentially at an idle level). When the air is compressed, it heats up, and that is where the energy goes (wasted). With hybrids, the engine can just be turned off, and the motor-generator put in generator mode to put charge into the traction battery, which can later be used to move the car. Pressing lightly on the throttle tells to control system back off on the generator, so you coast. The throttle is just an input the control system telling it how much power you would like, and has no mechanical connections to anything.

ftl likes this.
  8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that it varies widely in "regular" vehicles. Seems like a good rule of thumb is that the bigger/heavier the vehicle the easier it coasts. (ie. my truck coasted a lot better than a little 4 cylinder I had)