1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people hate the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tarusse1, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blase

blase New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not a psychologist but I find a lot of people can't accept the fact someone is doing something they should do, so must find fault with it to justify their own limitations. I've never had someone cut me off (frankly I think the 2010s are pretty fast and have plently of pickup so I'm not holding anyone up.) But I have had comments about how much the car costs and if I'd kept my old car (which was paid off) I could have used the money for the Prius to pay for more gas for 10 years. A stupid argument if you ask me.

But I think I've had as many people tell me it's a pretty cool car :cool: And I see so many these days I really think we'll soon be in the majority, guys. If someone does give you grief, just say "you're right, you're right, you're always right" and just walk away. If they don't get it you're not going to convince them.

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well purely from the numbers it generally does make sense. I sold an old, paid off car to get the Prius, though. I did it because after gas savings the Prius is only _marginally_ more expensive per month than my older car (its gas and estimated depreciation and repairs all came into play), and yet is a new, reliable vehicle. Funny how people don't make that "keep your old car" when people buy a non-hybrid, though. Non-hybrids are cheaper, but the price difference is really getting close now to the point where after gas savings the Prius can make sense, even if you don't care one iota about foreign oil, environment, etc.

And absolutely you're right, it takes some wisdom as a human to truly appreciate that what's right for you may not always be for others. It's how I can watch a person spending a few evenings/week parked at the train tracks watching trains go by. I don't understand it one little bit but I'm almost to the point where I barely even mock it now when I see it ;)

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because of cognitive dissonance (sour grapes).

4. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

5. Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that is that people who talk against the Prius are just uninformed and won't do any research to find out about them.
    I myself was not a Prius fan till my wife said she wanted to buy one when her '97 Rav 4 rolls over and dies, it has 164k and still has the original clutch in it.
    I found this forum and read a lot and found out it is a fine automobile, drove one and agree this is the car she should buy. But I have to agree when I told friends? that we will buy a Prius for her next car we did get a lot of static, which we have ignored.

6. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've felt no "hate" from others of my Prius. In fact, many that I know would like one themselves, if the price was lower.

However, based on some of the questions I have been asked about the Prius, I do sense there is a lot of mis-information about the car. I don't live in a jingoistic part of the country, where if you don't "buy American", you are viewed as some type of commie...so the people I come in contact, there's no emotional/nationalistic "hate" component. I might hate that my neighbors dog craps on my lawn, but i don't hate him or his choice of ride. That's just silly, IMO.

It's mainly misunderstanding(s) about what they perceive the car to be, or not.

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always like to reminisce so here is my little story. Back in July 2003 I was sitting on my couch reading a car magazine (don't remember which one). Gas was cheap (I think less than $2 per gallon). As I turned the pages I saw the photo of the soon to be released 2004 Prius. I LOVED the styling (so different from everything on the road at the time). I called up the Toyota dealer in Scranton PA (I had a summer place up in the Poconos back then). I gave them my credit card number and told them to reserve the car for me when it comes out.

I picked up the car in early November (fully loaded package #9 as designated back then). Since there were so few on the road when I first got mine I was constantly being looked at. Almost every time I was in a shopping mall parking lot I was always asked questions.

The car has held up extremely well (beyond my wildest imagination!). So... why do people "HATE" the Prius? Probably the same reason why people "HATE" the iPhone.

Everything mentioned in this thread has a great deal of merit. People are jealous, envious, etc, etc. It just boggles my mind why people just can't mind their own business and get a damn life. Who the heck cares what anyone drives.

Ok...on the same side of the argument I keep my feelings to myself. Here is one thing I never can understand. Why does someone have to drive a Suburban with ONE PASSENGER (i.e. DRIVER) to commute to work? I just don't get it.

I got a little winded on this post. I apologize. To all of you Prius owners.... Enjoy the bliss.

Jomar and WE0H like this.
  8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not encountered any "Prius hate".

I have encountered people who do not understand the technology and mechanics who are intimidated by the technology.

I have encountered people who value cars differently in that some folks like rear wheel drive because it handles better, or front wheel drive because it provides generally better traction in snow. Some folks like all wheel drive or four wheel drive...

Some people like more performance than the Prius can offer and some cannot justify the expense of a Prius when a Yaris will also achieve good economy for significantly less up front cost.

The only people I have a hard time with are those folks who drive poorly, impede traffic, don't use turn signals, speed to excess, or otherwise are a nuisance on the road. I suppose I could comment about in general about 15 year old Volvos with a dozen bumper stickers but for now I will hold my peace. :)

9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    people, more in uncertain times, fear change and don't like that the "change" is being forced upon them.

btw - i still don't have a cellphone

10. ems1

ems1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

11. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

I think you should play along with the brother-in-law mechanic and tell him that you heard that you need rubber handled tools and special training to work on a Prius or you'll be electrocuted. You know, the damn thing's got 50 amp fuses and 5 Kvolt electric motors. Then ask him if he can check the battery for you and then pop the hood open. Don't tell him the battery is in the back, and be prepared to make a loud buzzing sound when he is distracted while searching the engine compartment for the battery. I doubt this will make him like the Prius any better. After he looks for a few minutes, you can tell him never mind, "I'll take it to a mechanic." When he asks later about the battery, you can tell him that your mechanic couldn't understand why he couldn't find it; the damn thing is huge. My bet is that he'll stop talking about the Prius. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. TyAtkinson

TyAtkinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its mostly about a lack of understanding, Once they become knowledgeable if willing alot change there opinions

13. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe because US cars consume on average 3X more than average cars around the globe? The Prius consumes an average 20-40% less than a comparable car in its class (sold in EU, that is), or even a bit more compared to a diesel. Not 3x less. And that is in city driving - on the highway at 130km/h (average speed limit in EU on highways), it consumes not much better than a normal high efficiency gas car, and probably more than a diesel of equivalent size/HP category.
    The Prius is a true hit in FE in the US, not much so in other markets where diesels and more efficient smaller engine displacements cars are available. The Prius is a true gas saver in city and mixed driving though.

Sorry to say, but US drivers have been living in a world of their own when it comes down to fuel price, car size, engine displacement and most of all, fuel consumption. And it is a good thing that with the Prius (and the few diesels you get, if at all) you have a car on the market that consumes something more in the range of what on average in the world gets consumed from a car.
    You are probably the only country on the market that for some odd reason gets the Yaris with a 1.5L engine and 106HP (29/36mpg, 8.1L/100km-6.5L/100km), while in EU the max is 1.3L and 101HP (6.2L/100km-4.5L/100km; even taking into account the fact that the test for FE are different, I cannot see a 30-40% delta only for this reason). Clearly a more fuel efficient engine. I have no clue why they have to sell a 1.5L engine instead of more fuel efficient 1.3L or even the 1.0L at all, considering also that the speed limit is, what, 65mph?
    Clearly they have to because US drivers think (or have been brought to think) that small engine displacements, mean non-performing engines. Certainly if you want 0-30mph in 1sec and torque like a truck to show off at traffic lights, EU engines are not what you need. But neither 2.5L engines with 10L/100km-20mpg on highway or less (as I have had experienced more than once on several different rental cars in the US) are justified by any reasonable argument that I can imagine.

The gas price currently in Germany/Italy is about 1.95$/L (1.4$/€ X-rate), or about 7.4$/gallon. Diesel is 10-20 cents cheaper.
    We never paid 2.5$/L (yet). Certainly we never paid 2-2.5$/gallon like you guys. Never, ever.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The thing I see are drivers who would rather tailgate my car traveling in the slow lane than change lanes and pass. One of my most common maneuvers is to shift one lane; seeing the tailgater speed up and passes on the wrong side; then I pull back into my original lane.

Bob Wilson

15. vahrn

vahrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the car is considered by many, sometimes unconsciously, a symbol, an exterior sign of manhood. Tipically men most desired cars are in fact high performace vehicles, with great horsepower, ground-shaking exhaust note and so on. Owning such a car is way to manifest power and to feel powerful at same time, as you are the one who tames the beast (the car) and at the same time you perceive the car as an extension of yourself. As if you were the car yourself.
    In such a context there are very few people who can genuinely appreciate the Prius. Even among those who own a Prius there are some who wish they had something better, but still they own one as they need the great fuel economy. People (expecially males) who don't own a Prius, on the other hand, rarely miss the opportunity to show how much their car is more masculine and muscular than a "gayish" Prius.

High performace SUVs drivers are the most extreme case of those people. Not only they have performance and sound but also a huge size.

Then there are some enlightened people like us who couldn't care less about exhausts and speed (or they have had enough, like me) and enjoy the smoothness, quietness and the amazing technology of the Prius and have no need to show off their e-penis.

5 people like this.
  16. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had this happen a lot. Even when the next lane or two is/are wide open. It's like they think if they sit there on my bumper long enough I will speed up. Or maybe they are just enamored with the car and are admiring it up close?

17. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Often one says to me: "I heard you not arrived” and then I answer 'Of course, I drive a very particular car and it's brilliant".
    Some look at me like a green man coming from another planet but I don't care because I believe there's no way we can fall.

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Pakitt, bit of a long post there :eek:

Maybe our US friends do generally have larger engines, but at least they're going the right direction now. You can't slag them off because they're used to large engined cars. The manufacturers give them what they want - and that includes European manufacturers.

How many VW or Merc models sold in the US have bigger engines we don't get here? Why is this? Probably because a survey indicated that consumers thought the cars were underpowered (and fuel economy wasn't such a concern as here in Europe) and the manufacturers responded.

The same applies here in Europe - our 1.3 Yaris is a small car to us, but Japan have many super eco cars (Kei cars) which get fantastic fuel economy but with a maximum of a 660cc engine. Why don't we have these in Europe? Probably because nobody would buy them for the same reasons many Americans won't buy a 1.3 Yaris.

It's all relative and what you're used to.

19. Mooseman2409

Mooseman2409 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Hatred will Grow by these owners of large metal gas guzzling Penis extensions- as price of gas goes .. up and up and up..

1 person likes this.
  20. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's hard to resist if you have ever seen a lone driver commuting in a Hummer with one hand on the wheel and the other on a KFC Double Down sandwich. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.