1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people hate the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tarusse1, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius haters really came out of the closet during the hype of the James Sikes fiasco. I posted a comment on one of the youtube videos defending the prius and revealing that I own one, and I got hate mail. Some even claimed that by buying a Prius I was putting their lives and the lives of their children in jeopardy.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

They and their children don't deserve to live then. :D:D

What did I just say? - Oh no I didn't!!! Yes I did.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ripley44224

Ripley44224 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For a laugh about anti Prius attitudes, check out this Southpark episode, "Smug Alert!"

Smug Alert - Episode Guide - South Park Studios

4. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    to add on ^, its hilarious how people dont know that " buying american " is a joke nowadays anyways. All the parts in those cars are from all over the world. Its american capitalism. Cheaper parts equal cheaper costs. Why should we be forced to buy american when they make crap and try to get away with it. Im sorry but if they want my business they need to start building quality vehicles. The Toyata Prius is the smartest thing I could have done. I traded in my nice Dodge pickup and knew I was going to get made of fun of. But you know what? Ill be the one lauging, all the way to the bank! 50mpg/High Quality car= TRUMP.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Simply put, I love driving controversy. Both figuratively and literally.

6. IrishPrius

IrishPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find here in Europe BMW owners are the most anti Prius. My best friend drives a year 2009 BMW 5 series and he has a real hatred for the Prius. I point out his car only has a 4 star Euro safety rating while the Prius has a top 5 star rating. He still thinks this is a lie. He boasts a 50:50 weight distribution of BMW's. I say this is only good if you go off a cliff and your dead anyway! It is the most advanced car in mass production today and those who overpay for there so called premium brands take great offense to this.

7. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont know if it's considered "PRIUS HATE" but I often notice people cut me off a LOT closer on the Prius. It almost never happens with my Corvette.

Also, i find people are VERY surprised to see the acceleration and handling of my prius.I'll go into a posted 30 mph turn HOT at 55+ and basically RAIL the turn, people that are following me will get very upset. Dont know why.

8. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I understand why people drive a lot closer to me because I am constantly driving 30MPH or under. I have never seen so many people want to over take me before because it used to be me who has road rage and always go infront of others.

AS for trying to show them how fast the Prius accelerates, I don't do it because I dont' want to ruin my engine just to show off how fast it can go, and it can go very fast when you turn Power mode on and with gas pedal all the way to the bottom.

Did you know that if you turn ICE off completely and just use electric power for acceleration in the Prius you can go from 0-60mph in less than 4sec? You would need a special computer for that to happen though. :)

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But you are taxed quite literally through the nose on your gasoline. You pay for the same crude that the US does; it's only more expensive, in great part, because of its taxation. America does rely on driven miles to a greater extent due to its wider geography. Of course, when you see people like I have seen recently (both yesterday and the same guy 2 weeks ago) in a massive, raised truck with 6 tires hammering it through traffic like his wife is giving labor and almost certainly getting worse than 10 miles to the gallon you have to wonder when the party is going to finish.

Mileage is going to, finally, be forced better. Last week the gov unleashed its new requirements and they are quite aggressive in what mileage requirements there will be for new autos.

? The electric motor is torquey but no way 80 (I think that's its stand alone horsepower, but combined with the ICE the net is 134; I can't remember why) horsepower will get 3000 lbs to 60 in 4 seconds!

10. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't answer the general question. But, I'd wager the other folks at the Arco station this afternoon would be doing some hatin' if they were aware that my 9 gal fill-up covered over 400 miles. Only my second tank.

11. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's one reason. :rolleyes:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Amen brother!!

throwing stones at the bottom of the ladder only gets u labeled as a bully.

13. CheesyRider

CheesyRider New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :pound:

In my opinion, the main reason there is hate toward the Prius is the perception that Prius owners are arrogant and condescending. The replies in the thread stating how "ignorant" non-Prius owners are don't do much to dispel that perception. Also, when encountering people who express their dislike of the Prius, putting down their vehicle choice does nothing to help the Prius image. You can educate people who have misperceptions about hybrid cars without coming across as a smug douche-bag.

I should mention that the few Prius owners I've met have been quite pleasant.

By the way, I signed up on this site when I was researching cars. I ended up getting a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. But, I'm the first to admit that TDI owners can also be arrogant and condescending. By the way, "condescending" means talking down to someone.;)

14. tarusse1

tarusse1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that a lot of people just aren't comfortable with change and new technology. One thing I have noticed from my brother in law and people in general who are negative about the Prius and hybrids are they tend to be very of a conservative(right leaning) mindset. It seems that prius and hybrids owners want a vehicle that gets good gas mileage and is better for the environment. This kind of thinking goes against what has been taught in America that bigger is better, and cars as status symbols. My brother-in law laughed when he found out I wanted to get rid of my 2006 Mustang GT for a Prius. Saying how could I go from such an awesome car to a slow hybrid and I would need a $10000 battery replace when it died, and how I couldn't service the car, and its drive by wire and is like a playstation game, that i would need to drive it for 20 years to recoup my cost in saved fuel yet I have a 130 mile commute 5 days a week. I think it is just envy that most could never afford a Prius if they wanted to.

15. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell people at the gas station that you're there for your Spring (Summer, Fall, Winter) fill-up.

16. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It has to be the half truths, misconceptions and urban legends that foster many people wild ideas and hatred. Like the 10k replacement cost of the battery pack, which clearly is not true(it's less than 3k). It is expensive, but you can counter that the HSD (including battery) is cover for 100k-150k (if you live in ca). Is his car covered for 100k miles? Lower cost of ownership (5k-10k intervals for oil changes, longer brake pad life, no starter or alternator) along with the gas savings.

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He hit on most of the talking points so gets good grades for that. I thought I was losing performance going from a Maxima. Did you lose some of your soul when you test drove this? Still, at the commute you have you did do the right thing, that's a pretty long distance to be moving 8 cylinders.

18. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    quote Surfdolfin:
    It is my understanding that Ford got the Hybrid technology from Toyota.

Your understanding is incorrect[/quote]

Hhhhmmmmmmmm.... then I wonder why the N.Y. Times Business article stated on March 10, 2004 that FORD will license its hybrid technology from TMC in a deal........
    .... Nissan was 2002.

19. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only had my Prius a week and a half but I do notice that when I try to overtake a slower car, they immediately step on the gas. Its a pride thing I think. I have been cut off a few times which was really rare in my old car. Most friends have congratulated me on my new car and think its pretty cool, but I got the cold shoulder from one friend who is very into his American cars. Didn't even ask me how I liked my new car when he saw it for the first time, refused to even acknowledge the fact that I had a new car. Kinda weird response from a friend but I understand where he is coming from.

20. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you feel superior to another human being because of the car you drive.......you're not.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.