1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is my cruising range so low?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by priusea, Aug 9, 2013.

1. priusea

priusea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376074978.214655.jpg

I generally average north of 50mpg on a regular basis. Yet, my cruising range is always somewhere around 300~ miles for a full tank.

You can see here, at half a tank, my range states 123 miles. The math doesn't seem to add up for me.

If I regularly average 50mpg, shouldn't a full tank be around 450 miles cruising range at minimum? Am I thinking or doing something wrong? Is this generally an unreliable stat?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Your average MPG is what it is, not what the display says it is. That said, the range displayed is based on the current average, and will reset itself every time you shut the car off. Your gauge says you have 1/2 tank left, so your true range is whatever 1/2 tank will get you.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just because it shows half a tank doesn't mean a half a tank. It is only truly at half the very nano second it blips down to that bar. After that, good luck.

After my refill, mine shows around 489.

4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I can gather by keeping track on only a few refills, the 'cruising range' is calculated based on recent MPGs ( I can't figure out exactly what - last tank or two or something less) and the amount of fuel in the tank MINUS the reserve (approx. 1.3 gallons ) that is still in the tank when the last bar flashes.

In the heat of summer here in Tx filling to first pump click and averaging only in the high 40s MPG, my cruising range is between 417 and 435 immediately after fill up. I will experiment some over the next few fills and see if I can pin it down any further.

minkus likes this.
  5. priusea

priusea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I never fill my tank up after it initially clicks off. Could that be why? You guys going past the first click?

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    no, it's the computer calculating your mpgs for previous tanks. keep filling and driving. it'll calibrate.