1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is the charging port in back?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rebound, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have have the Leviton EVSE installed and the cable suspended so the unit itself is visible from the driver's seat and the cable reaches where the plug will be located. This is quite feasble. Look at my photograph.

Attached Files:

• BBB.jpg
      BBB.jpg
      File size:
      122.5 KB
      Views:
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Threadjack: What the H-E-double hockey sticks is going on with all those suspended jugs? Got a moonshine operation? :D

Back to topic: Suspending the cord overhead is what I'd have to do in my personal situation. It would also be PITA dodging it every time I needed to walk past; especially in the dark.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my case, it is not a problem dodging the cord. I agree that without a garage or even with a carport, this option would be more difficult.

I tried unwinding the cable as if it was kept at the EVSE. This way is MUCH handier. That cable is HEAVY.

4. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I had the GM EV-1, I always hated the paddle type charger being located in the front. I always back my vehicles in. Of course, now over the years things have changed a bit and none of my vehicles currently park inside of the actual garages. One garage is full of stuff and the other is full of toys; motorcycles, four wheelers, etc.

I think the charger being in the back will work well for me. My neighbor does have an outside outlet on that side... But he is probably too far away for me to run a cord.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good.

Backup camera a necessity with PiP.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmm, is this some sort of NEV standard?

i drove my Zenn for 3+ years in the Western WA rain. i would park at work, open back hatch, pull out cord, plug in on right side rear panel (same location as Daniel) and then plug into building. yes i got wet!

Allan, you had a Zenn so guessing its simply a question of making EVs work for you by allowing yourself to adapt to the car instead of adapting the car to you.

and still waiting for an answer to that jug question!!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good! exactly what i am thinking. i'm hoping i have enough slack so i can lay it on the windshield to remind me to unplug it. but if it won't start while plugged in, that will be unnecessary.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it would be "shocking" (pun intended) if it did. even my Lowly Zenn would not move when plugged in

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but stranger things have happened. maybe prius team will jump in here with an answer?:rolleyes: please?

10. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    See that button to the left of the J plug? It is just like the switch at the car door which turns on the interior lights when you open the door. That will cut out the ignition when the charge door is open.

Attached Files:

• GGG.png
      GGG.png
      File size:
      323.8 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  11. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Dave

After I suspended the cable it was clear that this will actually work better than keeping the cable at the EVSE. As I said, that cable is HEAVY. It looks awkward hanging there like that but it isn't. It is totally out of the way as it is now.

Shoot that question over again. I don't remember it.

Allan

12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    He was wondering how your "moonshine" business was doing, with all of the 1 gallon jugs hanging from the garage ceiling :)

I have the Schnieder EVSE as well, but I can't mount it on the garage ceiling, as that's 13' up, and the EVSE only has like 16' or 18' cable :(

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am not at all sure, but I think the Xebra in China came as a gasoline car as well as an EV, and they just put the charge port where the gas filler was, using the same door. I don't know what side of the road they drive on, but maybe in China the charge port is on the Driver's side.

I liked the fact that I did not have to bend down to plug and unplug the car. Same with the Tesla. Having the port in the bumper would mean bending down a lot. Okay, it's exercise, but it's also a nuisance.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! where did you get the pic?

15. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here. There are a bunch more pictures of the PiP:

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In

1 person likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sweet looking car!;)

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having closely watched Toyota's approach with Prius over the past 12 years, something seems obvious to me that no one else has apparently noticed.

The underlying principle contributing to all the other choices about design has been to make Prius a common vehicle. That's has resulted in many features being keep subtle, so they don't intimidate.

Have you have wondered why the Multi-Display shows only one electric-motor, even though there is actually two? That's an example which dates all the way back to 1997.

Locating the charging-port in back makes it appear to be just an everyday object on a vehicle. People will see that and assume it to be where gas is pumped... unless they look really close. That makes it as unintimidating as possible, yet still pretty exciting upon actual use... a good finalizing reason for the choice of location.

With a port in front, that would extremely difficult to mistake for anything common. Engineering is important, but not the only thing contributing to decisions.

Prius success has come from thoroughly considered design.

1 person likes this.
  18. ely105

ely105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I tend to think the rational of minimizing wiring and weight to be the primary design consideration for TMC. Nissan Leaf has the charging port in the front and with the cover closed you would never know it was there. I don't know where there batteries are located but since it's a significantly larger battery, it probably covers more area and can be accessed from more locations.

Most charging stations are in front so the front mounted port is much more convenient and easier to reach from what i've seen so far.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, which is why I attributed the "subtle factor" to being a finalizing reason. There's typically something that gives an extra push to justify a choice.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After having plugged in several times now using a public charging-station, the location of the port seems obvious. You want it as close to the corner of the vehicle as possible, as well as high as possible.

First, in the back corner is more convenient. That makes it higher than what in front by the door would offer. So, you don't have to bend down as far. The corner also means the reach is less of a issue, since cord length and station position are often limited.

Second, that makes it more visible. You really don't want anyone to ever bump into it. That back corner reduces that exposure, which you'll notice the first time you park really close to someone else.

Third, plugging & unplugging can actually be done from behind, which could be handy for those of you who have tight garages. That wouldn't be possible from a front-side location.