1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why not drive on Neutral Gear?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AllenZ, Jul 26, 2010.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder what's the difference between Stealth (no arrow on display at all) and Neutral Gear? The reason I ask is, Neutral Gear is much easier to maintain than Stealth.

Also, when I break moderately hard, it seems like the CVT gear is put to low, so for every yard I travel, more rotation on charging motor. Since Toyota did a great job on transition between regeneration and brake pads, I can't tell when brake pads start to work. Any indications?

Thanks!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When in neutral there is no regenerative braking, 100% friction braking. This is actually a method of cleaning the brakes if needed since they rarely get used for the majority of owners.

Also driving in neutral is illegal in most states, provinces, and countries.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    "No arrow glide" actually still uses some HV battery power to propel the car forward, I suspect "neutral glide" is, well, "pure" neutral glide. Hope this helps. :)

4. blades

blades New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm not mistaken (I'm a n00b, so I very well could be mistaken), there is no charging of the batteries in neutral, as I observed the other day on a long downhill run.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's correct. As for the hill in neutral, it is because there is no regenerative braking in neutral.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have driven quite a bit on long downhill rolls in neutral, there seems to be no savings in fuel consumption. The best consumption is cruise control, excluding hypermilers. The charged green battery comes in handy on the next uphill portion.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shifting into neutral lets one of the motor-generators spin uncontrolled. If you do this at a high road speed there is some danger of damaging it with too many RPMs.