1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would Toyota elect to use "w" rated tires?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Hurricane Gio, Nov 8, 2011.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If accelerated a 32.2 ft/S^2 it will hit 149 mph rather quickly:D

2 people like this.
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Performance isn't just about going fast. Tires are the most important part on a car, and good ones are vital to safety. Having put premium tires on several different cars, the difference can be dramatic, whether or not the car is capable of reaching the rated limits.

Assuming you can push it out of the plane nose first. If it starts to tumble and twist, the math gets rather complicated. :p

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point, a human has approximately the same density as water and a terminal velocity of about 120 mph if not in a clean dive. A Prius is much less dense than water so it might fall even slower if not kept nose down to take advantage of the low Cd which wouldn't happen without some good aero controls.

4. Hurricane Gio

Hurricane Gio New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Correct, but Speed rating have ZERO effect on the Prius v, period. End of story and that's a fact. I am not saying give the car some type of performance tire. A high quality All-Season Performance/Touring tire is MORE than enough for this car and 99.9% of Prius v owners will drive. The fact is the Prius v is not capable of using a tires performance over a S rate tire. Now since it need a LP tire to fit 17" wheels, because of a design flaw, the lowest I can find is H rated and plenty of V rated tires. H would have been more than enough and U would also be appropriate/overkill.

My 4cyl Subaru Outback is much faster and heavier than a prius v, yet they use a standard profile T rate tire. My OB can go faster than 118mph, so it should have a U rate tire. but who is going to drive a OB over 114mph? But Subaru, should have gone higher. But on the 6cyl and faster OB, it come with HR rate tires for 130mph.

With W rated tires on my Prius v, I have a harsher ride and accelerated tire wear due to the wrong compound tire being used on this car. Hopefully with a 300 rated tread wear, I hope to get over 20K on these tires. The 16" wheels only have a 320 rating as well. But Toyo makes decent tire and I hope these will wear well. But toyota should have designed this car better when it came to tire size and speed rating. Or, don't offer a 17" FACTORY wheel with inappropriate tires. Now you want to sell them via an AM thing in dealers and what not, then that's the buyers issue. These are OEM wheels, not an upgraded or special package on the 17" W rated wheels/tire combo.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think we all know that, which is why it is called a "speed" rating. I'm sure you also realize that a higher speed rating requires changes in formulation, geometry, or both. These changes also affect other characteristics of a tire, even though speed is the primary factor.

Tom

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom, can I quote you on your explanation of speed rating:D

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Certainly, but remember, speed kills.

Tom

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It rots your teeth and makes you irritable too.

9. RaysProf

RaysProf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    > Hurricane Gio

I too have the 17 inch tires, but am less knowledgeable about tires than you. My experience with tires has been terrible. For me, the only brand which has not lead to early warping are Pirelli. Do you have a model and brand you could recommend for the Prius v since I too don't expect more than 20K mile from these tires?

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its a nose heavy car, it will rotate to a nose down position if not constrained. I do not know the terminal velocity, but assume you can go faster with windows closed than windows open.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Flying Prius - The Daily Beast

Tom

1 person likes this.
  12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know the conventional definition of terminal velocity, but it could also be interpreted to be zero.:D

3 people like this.
  13. snowsystem

snowsystem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I only bought the Prius V five for the radar cruise and got stuck with low profile tires and the NVH that tend to go with it. Hopeing that by switching out to smaller wheels and meater tires with summer tread that it will make a big difference?

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Switching out to 15" LRR tires will increase mpg but switching them to non-LRR "meatier" tires may have the opposite effect. Stick with a proven LRR 15" tire. The Prius really doesn't need anything more.

15. snowsystem

snowsystem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

"five" level comes with 17" low profile and I would like to have less wheel and more tire to improve NVH.