1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will not using the foot parking brake damage the transmission when car rolls a bit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GaryHere, Aug 3, 2014.

1. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a new 2014 Blizzard Pearl and had a habit (from parents) of using the parking brake while keeping foot on brake before going into park.

When the Prius rolls a bit when that foot parking brake isn't used, is it damaging some parts of the Prius?

Does using that brake to prevent that slight rolling stop any damage (if any) from happening?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd keep on applying the parking brake, as you described. Regular use of the parking brake keeps it's cables moving freely. It's also safer, and like you say, takes some stress off the transmission.

xpcman likes this.
  3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    It might put some stress on the tranny. However I don't believe it will damage anything over the life of the vehicle so else your owners manual would specifically tell you not to do it.

Bad habit of mine too. I use the manual parking brake on hills for extra protection. Other than that, I barely ever engage it.

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it's already a habit, I'd simply keep doing it, it certainly won't hurt anything. I've rarely used a parking break, except on hills and on my oil change ramps, and I've never had a transmission problem on vehicles with as many as 162,000 miles on them. While there is pressure on automatic transmissions, I don't think any real damage is done unless the parking incline is fairly steep. If it is, then a parking brake should be used anyway.

5. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all for the replies!

My parents always had Fords and they believed that they were prone to transmission failures (Mom's car went thru two!) and advocated the parking brake mentality in me.

Anyways just seeing it roll slightly yesterday when I forgot to use it made me rethink all this.

So far loving this car!

We actually bought a new C3, had it 4 days and returned it for the Prius.

What is the correct distinction in referring to the Prius? Liftback? Gen lll?

Thanks, and glad we have this forum to ask questions in!

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe liftback? It didn't need a distinction till they introduced the Prius "team", lol.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your model is displayed on the left side with your membership info, so "car" is really all that's needed. :)

8. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    LOL.

Updated avatar.

#8 GaryHere, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In -any- automatic transmission there is a device to "lock" the transmission, "just in case" the drive was careless and didn't use the parking brake. ALWAYS use the parking brake. That's why it's called a "parking" brake.
    In most automatic transmissions they use a "pin" type locking mechanism, and you can shear off that pin, but no other damage will usually occur. Shops are quite familiar with repairing that type of damage, so that says something about drivers, not transmissions.
    In a Prius, there is a hypoid type gear (the type commonly found in non rack and pinion steering boxes and oil pumps) that is slid into its mate to "lock" the transmission. It is stronger that most "pin" types, but you should still use the parking brake.
    Note that if you are taking a driving test and fail to use the parking brake you will fail!
    Always use the parking brake when parking.

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent advice.
    But the answer to the original question is:
    If the place you are parking is relatively flat.....that is if you purposely look at the "lay of the land" and it appears flat, then not using the parking brake will NOT damage anything.

This is assuming that you properly got the selector into PARK and that the transmission lock is working correctly. :eek:

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That kinda reminds me of deciding when you need to wear your seatbelt. ;)

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I rode with somebody (once) who never wore a seatbelt: "Oh, if I see I'm going to get into an accident I'll put it on."

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using a parking brake is always a good idea.
    Period.
    That being said, It will have no impact on the longevity of the cars transmission....at all.
    Since I never put my car in Park (I always just shut it off - and it places itself in Park) I usually apply the brake after shutting the car down.

The parking pawl in this car is pretty sturdy.....like being able to stop a car rolling at 3-4 MPH sturdy.
    I wouldn't try this deliberately BTW.... :)
    Priuses don't require new transmissions very often at all.
    Like: almost never.
    Since people do often neglect to apply the brake it would stand to reason that Parking Brake Sloth is not a major contributor to early onset trans-axle demise.

Short Answer: It doesn't really matter.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always use the parking brake.

Some probably valid arguments can be made as to why it probably doesn't matter...

But why NOT use it?

The Prius, does have a lot of roll even when in Park, and even on a relatively flat surface. I've used the parking brake with all my vehicles, but with The Prius I feel it even more important.

As far as potential long, long term repair? I think I'd rather pay for any Parking Brake repair or adjustment, than have to deal with any potential premature transmission failure, even if it is just a locking pin.

And come to think of it, over all my years of vehicle ownership, I've never had any problem with the parking brake with any of the vehicles I've ever owned. And as I said, I always use it.

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those 2 seconds saved each trip not engaging the parking brake most really add up.

One day you might be on a slope and the car rolls off into a bus of school children. The parking brake is there for a reason. But it's your car so your call.

16. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    LOL I love that one. Can I use this and quote it in my signature :D

17. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I will be using it all the time, making it habit.

However Im more of a fan of the "C"s parking brake used with your right hand, much easier and convenient than that foot brake which is a bit more of a hassle to use.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ You get accustomed to either. We've driven Honda's forever, with hand parking brake. Having driven the Prius for a few years now, when I hop back into our previous Civic (still in the family), I find myself tromping down on an imaginary foot parking brake.

SageBrush likes this.
  19. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sure!

20. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks ftl! Long Island huh! From Bklyn here but now in the OK area till Fall/WInter.