1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Plug In Prius Save You Any Money vs. the Regular Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by BentSpace, Sep 25, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, and true for any area with HOV demand. Think of the DC metroplex.

2. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like San Diego might be a good place to be to have an EV:

Charging Stations For Electric Cars Unveiled In Balboa Park

This company ECOtality that put charging stations in Balboa Park says they will install a 1000 charging stations in San Diego by the end of year. Guess I will have to wait and see if that happens.

I know they say it takes 1.5 hours to charge at 220V, but can you charge it with 480V, which apparently some of the charging stations are 480V. How long would it take to charge at 480V? I'm guessing 45 min. So depending on the charging station landscape in the future and your willingness and time to hop from charging station to station and the cost they charge, it may very well be possible to save a lot of money. I just hope they don't charge a ridiculous amount for charging.

3. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wish i didn't live in a communist state. Folks out west get all the fun. Charging stations, first release phv, scion IQ, HOV lanes , Diane to sell them and state rebates.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the way i see it.. you're investing into the progression of that technology so you can move into that direction and away from the current ICE eventually... when i shopped around for my prius back in 03/04... i could have picked up a civic for a heck of a lot less and still get the same gas mileage.. but i wanted to invest into the idea of a bigger/safer/more reliable car that would last longer than any other car on the market (both my previous cars died way before 150k miles.. i'm around 180k or something)

for my shortest commutes to the stores or a friends house (way less than the 15 mile ev cap)... i would save since they are really close... long distanced, you still get the high mpg that a current prius gets. that beats just about any other car on the road. how much would i save? very little...

back to the whole investment idea... early adopters... etc..

5. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, usually it's not a good investment to be an early adopter, but maybe with the tax credit, it could make it a good time to get it while there is still a credit.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen several posts about charging at work, and this would be quite possible for me if my company car weren't cordless however (comma!) this presents me with a small ethical issue.

If I bought a PiP, and charged it at work, wouldn’t this be stealing electricity from my employer, or do you shrug it off by saying "Hey man, it's the same as running a coffee pot."
    I know what the answer will be for me. I always like to see where people's moral compasses point when nobody is looking, and truth be told I'd be as tempted to plug in an EV (if I could afford one) in each of my offices.
    I work evenings and nights. I'd never be caught by anyone other than me.
    I cannot help but presume that my beloved company (Big Bell) would frown on employees plugging in their Volts, Leafs, and PiPs---especially since in these parts commercial clients pay much higher rates for electrical use. I get angry memos and snide remarks from the tree huggers and bean counters all the time directing us to turn off lighting when not in use and to eschew personal electronics and electrical devices in my offices.

I'm wondering when the first EV driver will make the news for stealing current from a parking garage's unprotected exterior 120-volt outlet, or get fired for filching electricity from an employer.

I can tell you for certain that if some muckity-muck from the head shed came by one of my offices, and saw a Volt plugged into one of the exterior outlets (we have both 110/220) then it had BETTER have a company logo on it!

Comments?

7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you can't charge at 480V. Those are likely "Chademo" DC fast chargers for the Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi iMEV, they have the DC fast charging ports on them, it can recharge the Leafs 23KW pack to %80 in 30 minutes.

8. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a PHEV conversion done in Aug. 2009. From that time until May of this year (2011) I did NOT plug in while I was at work. I had inquired about plugging in and was told the infrastructure was being researched. There was a strong desire to plug-in, but I can safely say I was not tempted in the least to do it--then. I prefer to stay on the good side of the unemployment line.

Last May, a co-worker purchased a Volt. Together, we requested permission to use the 110 outlets in the garage (we have our own parking building, plus two garage levels in the basement). We were given that permission (I have an email saved that proves it) and a program was put in place so employees could register their PHEVs and plug them in. Rumor has it that there will be 220/480V stations installed at some time in the future. Whether we would be charged for use of these stations (probably) has not been announced.

It can't be stealing if your employer has given permission to use them.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur!!!

Thanks for being an asset to the environmental community. I hope that your employer uses charging stations as an employee benefit, or at least gives official permission for you to use 110-V juice.

This is one of the many examples of people doing the right thing without being goaded (or paid) to do so by my beloved government.

Bravo-Zulu!

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True, but without profiling your current usage and seeing how much it is with and without TOU metering, it might actually cost you more. From the schedules found at Pacific Gas & Electric - Tariffs, http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf is the schedule for BEVs and PHEVs. The rates are insane during summer peak. Also, once you get past 131% of baseline, the rates are higher or WAY higher than PSE's highest tier, depending on the time of year.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and who knows what the future price of electricity and gasoline will be? depending on government action, there's always the possibility that electricity could cost more than gas. it's never going to be cheaper to drive than it is now, but, hopefully, all the other factors mentioned in the above posts will be better using electricity. at least there is the potential for alternative sources.

12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I heard about a wealthy early Volt adopter who, upon learning that the best and cheapest time to charge was overnight, promptly ordered that all household appliances and pool equipment be run at night to save on the costs of electricity. I wonder if there is a limit on how much overnight use is allowed at the special rate. :rolleyes:

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is in the sense that there are rate tiers and different prices for each. See my earlier post.

You (and the person you referenced) are likely not on PG&E and on a different utility. If you let me know which one that is, I should be able to find their schedules.

14. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The person I heard about lives in the Los Angeles area, I believe. That could mean LA Dept of Water and Power, or SCE. I'm in the So Cal Edison service area, and they use a rate tier system too.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to run your refrigerator only at night.:)

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I should have said "wherever possible," as the story was told to me by a friend of the Volt owner. Now how the household help liked running the dishwasher and clothes washer and dryer, etc. after hours was not mentioned. Of course things like A/C and refrigerators don't offer the opportunity to run at the lower rate. It just struck me as funny when I heard the story, because as I said above, this guy is wealthy. And it wasn't done to save electricity over all, because of course it wouldn't change the consumption.:D

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably al gore.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where I have been employed, the only accessible electric outlets were installed for the specific purpose of EV recharging. There was no confusion about use policies.

For the first, in the 1990s, only home-brew EV conversions existed. It was free, to be reviewed after the demand increased substantially. Unfortunately that site closed long before mass market EVs appeared.

My current location has substantial EV/PHEV demand, and has installed pay-per-use recharging stations.

19. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the pay per use sites charge you more or less than the actual cost of the electricity?

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I look at this from the employers point of view. For both the Leaf and the Volt, if I allow free 120 volt charging, my employees will start giving me 'free' overtime, as neither one can charge in 8 hours. I have no incentive to ever provide 240 Volt charging, but 120 is win/win, good public relations, free overtime.

Your employer may vary.