1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota replace a HV battery if I have 156K in CA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ldlau, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my Prius, but just got the dreaded P0A80 code from the dealer who said I need to replace the HV battery. He said the warranty was 8 yrs/100K, but after reading some of the postings it seems that since I am in California, I should be covered for 10 yr/150K. Even so, I know I am still technically over the miles, but since I am not to far off, do you think Toyota might still cover my HV battery? If so, who should I approach? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I am the original owner and have always lived in California. With your link I assume I should go back and talk to the General Manager. Wondering if anyone else has had any success? Tried searching the message boards, but didn't see any relevant postings.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good will coverage of 50% are common.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As Jimbo said, see what they will offer. It'll be a good test case.

It's unlcear who has qualified in the past for goodwill 50%-off replacement, but one category may be people in CARB states with CARB-certified vehicles who were nonetheless disqualified by Toyota (for example if the state was not CARB member at the time of the purchase).

I don't think we have a big population of vehicles that have >150k in CARB states and also the battery failed, so you are possibly blazing the trail. More vehciles will be in this category though as time goes on.

#5 wjtracy, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What dealer is CA would suggest the warranty is only 8yr/100k? They should know without a doubt they are in a state that offers 150k warranty

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just to be clear .. this is about the car
    1. Was it bought in CA, and registered in CA ?
    2. Has it ever been registered outside of CA ?
    Presuming you are not trying to pull some sleight of hand, I'm really surprised that the Toyota dealership did not know the basic rules about CARB. I would not take their diagnosis at face value, and I would not have work done at that place.

8. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, this was the first time I ever bought a new car, am the original owner and I have always lived in California. Got it in Carlsbad Toyota, but have moved up to the Bay area since. It has always been registered in California, but in San Diego and now Bay area. Do you think it makes a difference that I didn't take it to the place I bought it? On Thursday my dashboard lit up with VSC, Check engine and the red triangle while heading home from work. Worried that my car would stop at anytime San Bruno Toyota was the closet one off the freeway. I should have clarified that I didn't talk to the dealer. I just talked to the service guy. (sorry I usually refer to the actual Toyota place as a dealer vs a non Toyota auto shop) but I specifically asked him what the warranty was and was told the 8 yr/100K. He said that only models from 2010 are covered for 10 yr 150k. Had no idea that he was not correct until I came across a posting last night that referenced a 2007 would qualify. Have been trying to figure out since Friday for replacement batteries so I could afford to fix it. He quoted me 3K or 3700K , don't quite remember since I was cringing at the quote and knew I had to figure out a more affordable way. Had not been reading up on battery replacement costs beforehand nor knew much about the carb rules. (sorry bad on my part).
    Appreciate all the comments and help. :)

#8 ldlau, Oct 19, 2014
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well good, at least you are arguing from a 150k warranty limit rather than 100k.
    I suggest you collect *all* the alarm codes the dealer pulled and post them here. If you are fortunate it will turn out not to be the traction battery.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still seems funny the service dept was not aware of 10-yr/150k. Maybe take this as excuse to get 2nd opinion.
    Given you are so far away from Carlsbad now, the only thing I can think of find out who biggest best Toyota dealer is in your new area, and get the car over there and see if service dept can swing you deal with Toyota. Then you tried two places. I've done this with other vehicles (learned it here) just ask the service dept to see if courtesy warranty coverage can be offered. Maybe make sure the new place knows you are giving them the repair business so they are competing for your business.

Guess you are close to Lucisious garagae, or is that LA? Believe they will give you a Toy batt for around $3200.

11. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok, cross your fingers and wish me luck, figure I would start with San Bruno Toyota and see how that goes, will post an update after I talk to them, so maybe it will help others. I sent an email to Luscious garage, green tec auto but have not heard back from them. Battery4prius where they are located in Upland, Ca down south but has a guy from some sheepskin car place doing the installs for them on the side for the Bay area. No brick and mortar, so wondering if anyone has tried them. They quoted me 1600 for a 2 year warranty but I think it has Prius 2 cells and not the 3 cells in them they said they rebuild them and order some from ebay that they use often and feel are reputable, so wondering if it is worth to use if the Toyota does not work out. Hard not having a car in California even for a few days, now with everyones help about the dealer (thank you all) figure I would just keep going in both directions assuming the dealer might not work out. Hoping if they will cover half, it would be worth to have them do it if they use a new Toyota battery.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My opinion, stay away from rebuilds. They can be done right (Eric Becky is probably one example) but it is a labor intensive job that makes the battery not much cheaper than simply buying a new one. A cheap rebuild is a sucker's gambit.

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since you are in the Bay Area, inquire w/ Luscious Garage (San Fran) and Art's Automotive (Berkeley) on which dealers seem to goto bat for customers. W/ this info, go to those dealers and ideally speak w/ the service manager. Let him know that you would really like him to get Toyota to offer a goodwill gesture, since just over the mileage limit, otherwise you'll end up having to get a Doorman HV battery. If the service manager is business savy enough, 50%-75% of a typical HV Battery replacement is better than zero, as he knows what your response will be if he can not get a favorable goodwill replacement.

Call Toyota LAST. They will want to know if the car has been serviced by a dealer for most/all service intervals. Your response (aka dealership level service) has a big determination on the outcome.

Good luck.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What makes you say that dealership service affects Toyota decisions ? Why would Toyota care ? I think a record of buying Toyotas, in particular new cars, in the past would be of much greater interest to them if the underlying question is future sales.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That was my experience when I called Toyota about help on a Transaxle failure, that was outside of warranty, back in Feb 2011. Summary:
    Transaxle making noise. Took to dealer, paid the $100 diagnostic fee. They reported failing, and no codes. $3700 replacement cost. Started looking at other options (used transaxle and install fee, sell car then buy a new/used car).

After above diagnosis, I called Toyota to see if they could help in any way? After they take your contact info, VIN, vehicle license, the problem you are calling about, and what you would like done, they placed me on hold, while a "supervisor" is consulted. Person gets back on phone wanting to know if the vehicle has been regularly serviced at a dealership. I respond "no." Placed on hold so info can be relayed to "Supervisor." Ultimately told SOL (Shite Out of Luck). Implication being, no quid-pro-quo; if I had lots of service intervals performed at a dealership, they would probably have gone 50% or more on the repair.

This story has a happy ending. The dealership that performed the initial diagnosis, called me a week later saying he was able to get the transaxle covered under warranty (the longer Emissions Warranty). Guess the service writer/Manager knows someone at Toyota to say hey, ..... Voila. I'm a happy camper.
    Hopefully OP has can demonstrate lots of Toyotas purchased and dealer level service for his current Prius, to have a strong compelling case. After my experience, I have come to believe that the dealers have quite a lot of leverage.

#15 exstudent, Oct 19, 2014
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exstudent, 3 moments after you supplied your VIN Toyota had the service history of your car. The follow-up question about dealer servicing was either a BS formality to give you a 'reason' why your request was refused; or if you are feeling charitable, an attempt to clarify whether a knowledgeable person was in the mix.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that if the owner has displayed a willingness to pay high dealer service prices, then it is more likely Toyota will give that owner a break on covering issues out of warranty. A warranty repair requires the dealer to provide labor at a lower rate and fewer billable hours than the dealer would receive from a retail customer. Toyota can tell the dealer that by helping this customer, the dealer will probably enjoy continued repeat service business.

In the case of the OP who logged 156K miles, I think it is questionable that Toyota will help simply because the standard warranty is for 100K miles. The California (and other states adopting CARB regs) 150K mile warranty is stretching the limits of Toyota's policy - such a generous policy is not offered anywhere else in the world. But s/he can ask the Toyota Customer Experience Center, the worst that will happen is a "no" answer.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, they definitely do make a lot of their income from servicing.

I'm not sure how similar the figures are in the US (servicing costs are relatively high in Australia), but an industry body here recently reported that car dealers typically make about 5% of their overall profits from new car sales, and a whopping 50% of their profit from servicing. They didn't specify what the other 45% was due to, but I assume it's made up of a combination of trades/used car sales, parts and finance deals.

19. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nearly identical!

This must be where "Stealership" originated. Source LINK
    Penske Automotive Group, which operates 326 dealers in the U.S. and U.K., the gross margin for service and parts was 57 percent, vs. just 8 percent for new-vehicle sales.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer already knows how much repeat service business the customer is likely to supply -- they do not need Toyota to remind them. And there is a presumption here that Toyota has to somehow convince the dealership to perform the warranty work. Is there any reason to think this is the case ? I cannot think of a single instance I have read about where dealerships try to avoid e.g. recall work. Just the opposite, actually: the service writer pushes the customer to perform any recall work available.

I am not equating recall work to OP, because the recall work is already authorized. I'm only saying that the labor rate the garage receives appears to be attractive as is.

Moreover, I am under the impression that an auto franchise is under contract to perform warranty work as authorized by the manufacturer, so even if the dealership did not want the work I think they are obliged to perform.