1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winding up noise in brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by austinography, Jul 29, 2014.

1. austinography

austinography New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,

I am a fairly new Prius owner, so forgive me if this is normal and common knowledge. I have noticed that when I get on the brake, I will hear a sort of winding up noise, or a noise like a very small motor running for just a few seconds. It seems to happen every time I first get on the breaks when moving at a speed above 25 mph, and I can interrupt it if I take my foot off the brake. I kind of thought maybe it was something to do with the regen brake system, but I wanted to make sure it's not an indication of an issue.

TIA,

Ryan

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it more like the buzzing of a compressor? If so, then that sounds normal.

The brake compressor will buzz away for about 5 seconds when you first get it.

3. austinography

austinography New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yea, it could be described as a buzzing I guess. Is it normal to hear it each time you're on the break?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the Gen 2 brake noise. I have no idea what a break noise sounds like.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Each and every time? Hmmm possibly not, but it does refresh often. Normally you won't hear it as you're driving. I had my original brake pump replaced by recall and the new one is much quieter. You might want to check whether yours was changed.

6. austinography

austinography New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yea, the sound in that video sounds like the same thing, only I hear it more muted b/c I am not under the dash like that. I don't see anything in the service history about the brake pump. The brakes were serviced and cleaned and the water pump was replaced about 8K miles ago.