1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Deflectors in For Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Stevevee, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone installed these deflectors and can describe the value?

3. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've used their deflectors on other Prius and will buy a set for my v. They were good quality and very helpful in the summer.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed a set on my 2010 last spring. The biggest value to me is in summer being able to leave the windows cracked open while parked in open parking lot at work. It will lower cabin temps by 10-15 F.

They are also useful in spring and fall in moderate temps where you can crack windows even in rainy weather.

5. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the new front wind deflectors on my 2012 Prius v last Friday. It took longer to open the box and read the instructions than to install the two visors. The instructions were clear, they installed easily and fit perfectly. They seem to be made out of a high quality black plastic that goes well with my car.

I think, but aren't completely sure, they slightly reduce wind noise with the windows up. They definitely reduce wind noise with the windows down a couple of inches.

I bought them so I could keep the windows cracked to provide some ventilation. They didn't leak while having the windows open slightly while parked in the rain. Also no leaks while driving in a very heavy rain. With the visors there is probably some added security because it's hard to tell if the windows are open at all.

I'm delighted with them and look forward to the deflectors for the rear windows. The car doesn't look odd with just the front deflectors.

If there's any fault in the design it's that they slightly block a part of the passenger side window. It bothered me in the first hour of driving but then I got used to it. For me, with the seat all the way back, it's not much of an issue. If the seat was all the way forward you can still see the mirror pretty clearly through the deflector but it darkens the image and may be an issue.

I would buy them again.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It definitely reduces the wind noise with the windows up on my car. I noticed an appreciable difference immediately after the install.

7. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd been waiting for the WeatherTech window deflectors for over a year but decided to go with the one that used the tape, which is fine. I notice that the rear windows can not be rolled down too much in case of rain. This is because the down angle at the very rear of the window, if the window is rolled down more than 1", there will be a gap where the rain can come in! For now, I will keep this set until I need to replace and get the WeatherTech one.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II came with the deflectors already installed, and although we've had no hard rain in the month since I bought "Chuggypig", on the couple of spring-like days we've had in that time, I've enjoyed being able to drive with all the windows open to about an inch or so, with the minimum of wind-noise even at highway speeds. Reminds me of growing up in the 1960s when deflectors (and opening quarter-lights) was standard on most automobiles!

9. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That 1960's deflectors you mentioned was called "elephant ears" in my country.;)

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …also may be heard in Verdi's opera "Rigoletto", where in Act 3, Scene 1 the Duke of Mantua sings "La donna è mobile" and careful listening will reveal that pachyderms' ears are mentioned at the end of each refrain!

(La donna è mobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

11. Peter Klein

Peter Klein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I received an email from Weathertech that they now make front window visors for the Prius v. I had a full set on my 2002 Honda CR-V, and they were great. So, I bought them, and as David said, it virtually takes longer to open the box than to install them. There is also an installation video on Weathertech's website. Living in FL, I can now leave my front windows down an inch or so, and let some of the heat escape. Thanks Weathertech. (Note: Toyota still does not offer these.)

12. B.Squid

B.Squid New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have always liked the usefulness of deflectors… just wonder how much (if any) the hit on MPG will be since it changes the profile of the car...

13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "...hit on MPG" Interesting observation! I'd also wondered, remembering the old adage that it's more efficient to cruise at highway speed with the a/c on than to run at the same speed with the windows open. Now that Spring is definitely here, I'm finding my deflectors most useful, as I've been driving with all the windows cracked about ½", even in the recent Spring showers. (also, and here's a note for the anti-Rain-X brigade: I haven't needed to use the main wipers (apart from a couple of sweeps) since the most recent Rain-X treatment, and I haven't needed to use the rear-wiper at all!! - I suppose it could also be the superior aerodynamics of the Prius)

14. tacomaprime

tacomaprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can someone post a pic of these? My wife wants to see how it looks with just front ones. Thanks.

15. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's ChuggyPig (with le tout ensemble!) - there are more pics in the album "ChuggyPig" - Wil

Attached Files:

16. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have been using the floor liners and window deflectors from WeatherTech for years on our vehicles. The deflectors came yesterday for the new prius v and if it stops raining today I will put them on. The are great when driving when you want some fresh air, and if it is raining you can still crack the window.
    As for the liners, living in the Boston area, winters are tough on car floors, but with the liners, which I put in last week, they remain clean and dry! Sometimes I have to bail out the mats there is so much water and slush and then remove and rinse them. You can not go wrong.
    However, only the front deflectors are available for now on the Prius v 2014. I hope the rear ones come out soon.

17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Show a picture on your v when you get them installed. Seems a little awkward to have just the fronts.

18. tacomaprime

tacomaprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, but I'm looking for pics of them on a prius v, lowercase v, just the fronts, since thats all they apparently make yet.

19. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They really don't stand out that much, so without the back deflectors not too noticeable. I'll try another pic tomorrow of a closeup. If it warms up I might even be able to put the bumper guard on.

Attached Files:

20. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This just in... I just got an email back about 5 mins ago from Mary Davis at WeatherTech, they are working on the rear deflectors and may be ready in about 5-9 weeks. She suggested I fill out the Product Request Form to be notified when they are available.