1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting Idea

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Joshua Laymon, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Joshua Laymon

Joshua Laymon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have an appointment to get my windows tinted at a local shop on Thursday. I was wondering what tinting percentage you all recommend. I know opinions vary wildly on this but if you can post a picture of your car with the percentage front and back I would really appreciate it. It will help me get the best idea of what I want. FYI, I live in MO and I think the max on the front is 30% and no limit on the back. The package also includes a tint strip across the top of the windshield. Any thoughts on those?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Joshua Laymon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok. so as that pdf that @JimboPalmer posted notes I can have 35 in the front, as high as i want in the back, and possibly a strip across the top as my current windshield has no tint at all on the top.

2 questions now. Do you recommend tinting the little windows in front of the driver to the same as the drivers window? I think this would look the best but was hoping for more input. Also, since the windshield on the V is at a pretty steep angle are you annoyed by having a tint strip on the top of the windshield? It seems like this could cut down outward visibility, especially for someone 6'2" like myself.

Thanks for your feedback

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have tint on the small front windows and none on the windshield. I think the quality of the tint material (particularly heat rejection) is more important than the visible light transmission (VLT). A lower quality film might have 30% heat rejection while a better film might have 60% heat rejection, both having the same 32% VLT spec.

5. Joshua Laymon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    thanks @rjparker . I have been offered the top package that this particular tint shop offers for $225 for all the glass including the strip at the top of the windshield. It includes ceramic tint. Im not sure of any particular spec on it other than that though, such as the brand.

6. icspots

icspots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Generally speaking ceramic tints offer better heat rejection than metallic tints. For example the tint I have on my other two cars (haven't gotten around to having the prius done yet) is a 40% ceramic. The shop in question used 40% film in order to meet state laws of 35% (because there's already a couple % tint built into the glass) when I lived in NC. They offered three different films. A 20% visual light transmission Metallic with 50% heat rejection, a 40% VLT ceramic with 80% HR, and a 70% VLT ceramic with 90% HR. I went with the middle film, and even letting in twice as much light it blocks almost half again as much heat.

As to percentages it depends on your feelings. Some people will want to go as dark as possible. Others will want all the windows to match. The front will always look lighter than it is because of light coming in from the windshield. Even with my 40% looking in from the outside is slightly obscured.

Definitely get the little windows on the front doors done..... otherwise it will look weird.

I have the strips on my windshields and like them. If it's included in the price then go ahead and get it. If you don't like it just rip it off.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius v has about a 75 tint stock, so if you add 40, you will be at the legal 35

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We tinted only the four door windows of our Prius v to 35% which is the Kansas maximum. We did not tint the little front side windows nor the very rear side windows and hatch window in the cargo area.

It does not look "weird" to not tint the little side windows by the windshield. Nobody else will notice or care. Even if someone did notice, who cares what other people think? After all, we are talking economy cars here.

I will never again have tint applied over rear window defroster wires for several reasons including glare from the headlights of following vehicles on the defroster wires, reduced sensitivity of auto dimming rear view mirrors and the expense of having tint over defroster wires removed when it fails. We almost always keep vehicles past 10 years and tint rarely lasts that long even with careful and proper maintenance. I have found that supposedly lifetime tint usually starts failing at about six or seven years and has to be redone.

9. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine was tinted at the dealer. See picture. I personally prefer more light coming in, but still keep UV and Heat out. Tint in Florida is pretty much a necessity and provide a cooler car to get in and help protect the interior.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What are the metrics for heat rejection and which materials/substrates perform best for heat rejection?

11. My590L

My590L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    From my experience, running a quality film installed by a reputable installer is key. The guy I've gone to for several vehicles runs Llumar film. Depending upon the product line you go with from Llumar, the VLT and heat rejection will be slightly different for each. Here is a chart from Llumar. I believe the ATR series is metallic, and the CTX series is ceramic:

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/llautospecifications_20140715_0_0.pdf

Air_Boss likes this.
  12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks.

13. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is the brand the dealership where I got my car has installed on their vehicles.

My590L likes this.