1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by wendyp247, May 30, 2010.

1. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the additional feedback. I am definitely going to look into this ASAP. Does anyone know what the current tint level is on the back bottom window? Guessing that should be matched with the remaining windows? Just want to do as much research as possible before I talk to the dealer. :)

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    29%

1 person likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It really depends on the area. On a recent trip to Orange County I'd guess 7 out of 10 cars were tinted illegally. Around here, I can go a week or more without seeing an illegally tinted car.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tint on your Sienna was simply done poorly...by an inexperienced installer. Hand cutting each window is the best way to account for the "play" that each window has. When hand cut properly, you will not see any gaps.

How do you think they arrive at those computer cut patterns? Someone probably hand cut those patterns at one point. Some of those patterns are better than others, so I would ask for the software they are using and research it. Tintdude is a good site.

The dealer just sublets the job to a 3rd party, usually the most cost-effective one, not the highest quality one. I would have it check around your area, ask to see samples of the work, and research the films that you want. I'd recommend a ceramic film from Llumar, Llumar's FormulaOne or Huper Optik.

1 person likes this.
  5. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a random question, but I'll go ahead and ask it. I currently have 18% all around on my car. It's actually not quite dark enough for me. At certain angles, you can see inside of the front two windows pretty easily. So, since I already have 18% film on my windows - I was thinking I could add an additional layer of say, 35% or so to cut that original 18% down some more. Or, should I just take off the 18% and try to find darker tint?

6. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

I will look into those and check who the dealer uses. I would hope that they would use the one that people are most satisfied with. But, I guess you never know.

7. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Do you need to install mole skin or any scratch resistance material in the prius to prevent scratches on the tint? My accord has a rubber weather guard and it causes scratches. Wasn't sure if Prius had it as well.

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It also depends how picky you are. Mine is off the charts....

MB860 ?

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not on this car, no. But some films are known to scratch more easily than others

MB860 ?

10. Jimania

Jimania New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that Huper Optik film is very overpriced. Check other auto entusiast forums and you will find plenty of comments on window film brands and pricing.

Eastman owns Solutia which owns Huper Optik, Llumar, Vista, FormulaOne, and others, so the film technology is from the same source. I know people in the window tinting business and think that choosing 3M, Llumar or FormulaOne will make your wallet happy and get you a very good window film for your vehicle.

ALSO, make sure your window tint shade is legal or you will get a ticket, have to remove your window film and pay for a new tint job.