1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

windows won't go up!.. help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Jun 7, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While my wife was coming home after work and rolled the windows down and turned the car off to get gas. After getting gas, the windows will not go up?

The drivers side front works normal, but none of the other 3 work at all?

It seems like the lock button is stuck, but it physically works perfectly.

Could it be a fuse?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Man, that's weird. I love troubleshooting.

This might sound weird but what if you/she put the window button in the other position and then shut the car off? Then turn it on again and see if that works. Sure it's a wacked-out theory, but what if she bumped the window lock and when she turned the car off, it sort of 'froze' in that condition. Perhaps, changing the lock position and turning the car off will 'freeze' it in the new condition.

Like I said, it's a crazy theory, but it was motivated by staring at your avatar.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think she press the lock button by mistake. The lock button will lock all 3 windows, even the driver can't control them. Don't ask me why. :wacko:

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 7 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]267487[/snapback]</div>
    It's a kid protection thing--so your kids in the backseat can't have fun by putting their/their sibling's/their pet's heads/other extremities in the open window and proceeding to close it, thus recreating M. Guillotin's invention for the 20th century (it's not new technology!). :eek:

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi windstrings, I think they have found your answer. It's the little window lock button on the drivers door. :)

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 7 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]267498[/snapback]</div>
    I understand the part about others can't open the window, but why the driver too?

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 7 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]267504[/snapback]</div>
    NOT the driver--didn't original post say just the other 3 windows were affected? :blink:

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, I'm giving Windstrings the benefit of the doubt on this one. He's had too many informational posts in the past to miss something as obvious as the window lock button.Especially when his original post specifically says:

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 7 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]267475[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Well on my way to taking it to the dealer, the only window that still worked "the drivers" started acting funky too... the two way switch wouldn't work. I had to press it all the way "auto" to get it to work at all and then it worked as if it was in the first position rather than auto. What I mean is.. when I pressed it all the way I could get it to inch along until I released the button, and the first position that should have allowed me to inch along that didn't work at all.

Sounds like a computer funky jamup to me. It may need to be reinitilized... but I don't know how and what would prevent it from happening again?

Oh well.... I'll let you know what I find out from the dealer.... I would have tried your trick if I had gotten your suggestion in time.
    But since its not cool to leave your windows down.. I didn't waste any time getting it to the dealer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 7 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]267487[/snapback]</div>

If you look at my original post ...
    I already thoroughly slapped, punched, beat "a little" and banged the side of the armrest trying to see if the button was the culprit.... no luck. It works perfectly physically.. but no response.

Under the dash there are two fuses pertaining to the doors... one is a 20A fuse that says Fr Door and the other just says Door and its a 25amp fuse... seems since the one is seperated and says "fr door", I was hoping the other controlled the other doors.. but they looked perfect to visual.
    I didn't check them with an ohm meter because my stuff is still in transit from Washington State and I didnt' have one.... I'm gonna feel really stupid if that was the problem when I get my report back from the Dealer.

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 7 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]267707[/snapback]</div>
    Typically a lot of cars also have a relay for the power window...although normally relay's either work or they don't. Also sounds like battery power is not an issue as everything else is working well. Fuses wouldn't cause intermittent problems...so my guess is some sort of window control module. You may be able to pull the fuses, leave them out for a few minutes and then re-insert. That may reset the issue...but not tell you what caused it!

Let us know what the dealer finds!

Another quick thought...could she have spilled on the switches on that side? When the windows are down any moisture from the front window seems to curl around and finds its way to the drivers door. Moisture could be in those switches shorting them out...that could explain the intermittent problems.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]267750[/snapback]</div>

Don't know about the spill thng.. its my wifes car and the area is clean.
    But the dealer is saying its not a fuse and its either the control module or at the junction and they need to tear in furthur, so I don't get it today.....

12. unruhly

unruhly New Member

It's your first problem related to the Acetone tests! :lol: It's permeated it's way into the computers already.

Sorry, couldn't help it. I feel bad for you Windstrings!

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Jun 8 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]268197[/snapback]</div>
    Thats it!.. I must have spilled some on the switches while I was drinkin it! :lol:

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, heres the scoopy so far.... The dealer said it was the BCM... did you catch that?... :lol: :)

That stands for "Body Control Module".. its located under the drivers dash and is in a Junction Box.

Only problem is of course, that you cannot just replace the "BCM", you have to replace the whole stinkin junction box.

There is none in the whole region... "which means they never go out", in fact, I have to get it from good ol Japan!!!!

So I took the car back as he managed to get the windows back up but warned us NOT to lower them as they may go back up .... and we have to do that ... for 7 -10 days working days until the part comes in.

The good news of course is that the Air Conditioner works great!

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :lol:

16. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, that's 7-10+ business days without drive-thru banking or dining!

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 9 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]268855[/snapback]</div>
    And if you are in TX or Southern CA, no drive thru liquor stores either... :eek:

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 9 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]268855[/snapback]</div>

Yea..no littering in Texas either... don't mess with Texas... up to 2000.00 fine!

No, but the biggest temptation is to immediately lower you windows when getting in a hot car to let the intial blast of heat out.

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Heh, I remember in my last car when the power window motor went out on the driver's side. The window stayed down and wouldn't move Until the part came in a block of wood was put in the door to prop the window up. That wasn't the bad part, there was also a problem with the car not starting (ie the starter wouldn't turn over) unless you had it in Park and push the car from the back 3 times (turned out to be very low transmission fluid, which made the car think it wasn't in Park even though it was). You couldn't use a drive-though, plus it was possible that you had to "bump" the car when you left the bank or fast food place. :blink:

20. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 9 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]268925[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but those were the good old days. Not like these modern kids, got everything on a plate. In MY day, by cracky, we even had to use a KEY to start a car.... :D