1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Accessories

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Rachael Paige, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rachael Paige

Rachael Paige New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    First winter with my Prius C (purchased my 2013 Prius C new in April of 2014) and I was so in love with my car until the first snow. I feel like I am always sliding all over the roads!

Do you put snow tires on your Prius? If so, does it make a difference? What are the best snow tires for the Prius C? And where is the best place to purchase the tires?

Also, any other tips/suggestions/things you have learned from winters in your Prius? Any other changes you make besides snow tires?

Any advice appreciated! Before I bought my Prius I was driving a 10 year old car (no bells and whistles) so I am wondering if part of the difference I am feeling has to do with the way cars/car computers have changed since 2004.

Thank you in advance!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd recommend buying and using a good set of Snow Tires.

My Standard Prius Hatchback is the first vehicle I've owned where I felt it was imperative. And I'm living in a relatively mild winter climate.

I can't really speak to specifics of the winter driving of a Prius c. But if you've never owned a hybrid? You've probably noticed by now, that there are slight differences in feel and operation in comparison to standard vehicles.

I enjoy my Prius, but IMO it simply is NOT the best extreme winter climate vehicle.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We got our first snow tires through a dealership, basically because their prices weren't too far out of line, and I was getting them on steel Corolla rims, since the Prius Hatchback doesn't have a steel rim option. The rims were reasonable at $70 each. They weren't 100% sure it was all going to work, clearances etc, which was all the more reason to make it one-stop-shopping through dealership. If and when I replace the tires I'd likely go through someone like Costco, not that they're the greatest, just the devil I know.

I believe the Prius c has steel rims, at least at one level? Likely simplest/cheapest option to use them with snows, and they will be a perfect fit. Also, the question will come up about getting extra Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors for the snows. Hopefully it IS a question, not an ORDER. I understand in the States they're getting sticky, saying you MUST have them?? If you have to you have to, but they are a headache. I didn't get extra TPMS with ours. We live with a little warning light on the dash for the 4 months the snows are on, and try to be cognisant of tire pressure/condition.

And yeah, anytime the ambient temps are below 7C (what's that, 40F~?), snow tires are grippier. Regular all seasons have rubber that stiffens up at lower temps, gives up grip. And the aggressive tread on snows is much better in snow. Anything over 8" of snow on the ground though, doesn't matter WHAT tires you have: the Prius has low ground clearance.

4. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't drive a car without snow tires during the winter and I've been driving since 1960. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference in how your Prius C acts in the snow, or for that matter any other car you might own. Do yourself and all the people driving around you a favor by using snow tires during the winter.

5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    John, your in Michigan..tons more snow...

It appears op lives in Philly which Is where I commute to daily from the burbs.

I would never advise anyone to not get snow tires... With that in mind and also the fact that the op has a c, I have a heavier liftback the last few winters here have been weak. We have had a couple 3-5" storms that are plowed while they fall and they salt the living hell out if the roads, and we never have perma snow on the roadways (maybe the tiny city side streets that get no sun, but only for a few days) and the worst is to come Tomm they say at 4-8".... Personally I think yesterday's 1"-2" of freezing wintery mix was worse than any of the snow storms this year, and even then I made it to work in the thick of it w/o issue just by taking my time.... It turned to rain and roads were fine within an hr or so.....I never lost it or even came close to skidding or spinning out, I even tried to in an unoccupied parking lot...the Prius stability control works great in my opinion.

Like I said I have a heavier liftback but can honestly say I felt no need at all this year or even in 2013 when I owned my 13' three liftback for snow tires....

I guess if you feel you need them get them def. Maybe a lighter c is less stable in the snow. I would presume that is true. So do what makes you feel comfortable and confidant during the few odd snow storms we do get here in Philly.

#5 Blizzard_Persona, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I feel that my C in the NYC snow is ok. Never had a problem with it and Im still using stock tires. I would prefer to have snow rims and tires but I have an Suv that I take in the snow if needed.

7. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am guessing Prius C's have balanced weight distribution and pretty clever traction control, because I found it behave exceptionally well in snow .. on the very first day, on my way home from the dealership. Both traction and road holding are quite impressive.