1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter snow and ice cover for front windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stanleyjohn, Oct 17, 2006.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now that winter is rapidly appoaching :( !What do you use to keep the snow and ice off the front windshield? I have a garage but that dosnt help for work.Not looking forward to defrost,brush and scrape.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 17 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]334137[/snapback]</div>
    I used to use Rain-X to keep snow and ice from sticking when I lived in a place that saw more winter than Raleigh... It's kind of a pain though, if you don't keep re-applying it every few weeks, you tend to end up with a blurry windshield until it all wears off.

Before garage, I always used a large piece of cardboard under each wiper so I at least had two pretty good clear areas to see out of in the morning until the defrosters could deal. After I hit that light pole one day, though, I realized that getting up a few minutes earlier to scrape the windows wasn't such a bad idea.

I've seen those plastic windshield covers with magnets in them to hold them on, but always figured you'd have another thing to drip water into the floor or trunk if you used one away from home.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My favorite is Bubble Pak. Get a piece long enough to overlap the windshield on each side and close it in the doors to hold it. To remove just open the doors and shake off the snow and store it in the back til next time. Cheap and very efficient.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 17 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]334141[/snapback]</div>
    I also used Rain-X for a lot of years. Seems like it was mostly gone after a few hundred miles of driving in heavy rain with the wipers on.

I now use Aqual-Pel from PPG. It lasts 6 months or more, works better than Rain-X, and doesn't seem to degrade the wipers like Rain-X seemed to. I threw away an unopened bottle of Rain-X when I first started using Aqua-Pel 5 years ago. I apply it every 6 months and it works well to keep bugs and snow and ice from sticking.

Both products are kind of a pain to put on properly, but with a 6 month lifetime the Aqual-Pel wins hands down.

- Tom

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Oct 21 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]336145[/snapback]</div>
    It looks like thats a daily application (put it on before it snows, wipe the snow off, repeate the next day...)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 21 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]336149[/snapback]</div>
    So, whats the procedure for putting it on, where do you get it, etc?

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]336700[/snapback]</div>
    Aqual-Pel can be found at some auto stores (Pep Boys around here in Delaware) or on ebay. Seach Google for a bunch of other sources. It is $5 to $10 per applicator. One applicator will do the windshield and maybe one front door window. I generally buy a professional kit with 24 applicators for around $100.

Application starts with getting the glass really clean. I use Zaino glass polish and a radom orbital buffer. A couple of passes with invisible glass to finish up. Washing the car followed by glass cleaner is probably good enough. The rest of the directions can be found here:

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/ApplyAquapel.pdf

- Tom

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    bah, the temp limits (don't apply under 50F) already rule me out for this year...