1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire Myths Busted - Road and Track

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VicVinegar, Dec 10, 2013.

1. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting exercise done by R&T on the idea that winter tires stink in the dry, and that they'll get shredded to bits.

They based their observation of "wear" on observation of the rubber after time on the track. Not sure it eliminates concerns I have about about running winter tires here where it was 60 degrees last week and dealing with ice this week, but food for thought I guess.

It is probably also worth noting that the Dunlop Wintersport is a "performance" snow, so it might hold up better than a "regular" snow rubber.

Winter Tire Test - Performance Test - Road & Track

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not relevant to us Prius drivers.....they talk about Performance! Lol

The way the weather changes here in Irelamd I could be stopping between winters and summers numerous times a day during "winter". It was below freezing last week and this week is due to br in mid teens (60 ish F)

I'm going to stick with putting the winters on in late Nov and swiping them out in April or so

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I'm looking at another morning drive featuring the threat of black ice, I'm wishing I ordered something now even though it was warm recently. I guess I'll just learn a few hundred dollar lesson if they get shredded to bits from highway miles in 50 degree weather.

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should look at something like the Nokian WRG2 which handles warmer weather just fine.