1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper blades

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jonny Zero, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bet Toyota never made them. Toyota inserts are not unique. All you need to know is the size and you can buy any brand of inserts you choose.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This may be true for the rear wiper, but not for the front.

iPhone ?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda weird: we've had the car since nov 2010, and it was on their lot quite a while I think, and have never changed the blades. And they seem just fine. I clean them and the windshield occasionally with a spray-on automotive glass cleaner. Could be because we're low mileage and garage kept. If and when, it'll be Toyota replacement rubber inserts.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That, and your climate. Rubbers don't last here when it is 110 out sunny with an UV index of 12. :(

5. dMf

dMf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    YOU WERE LIED TO

6. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer's part department said the same thing to me last weekend, so I just went online and bought the inserts on Amazon. :)
    Front wipers are 26" and 19". IMO, you want to search for refill or inserts for the following wipers:

7. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just purchased the refill/inserts from my local Toyota dealership for my 2010 Prius. Part numbers:

85214-68020 - 19" - $8.58
    85214-30390 - 26"- $9.86
    85242-47030 - rear wiper blade assembly (inserts not available) - $14.55

8. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the parts no. I will call a few different dealership parts department next time.
    BTW...Rear Wiper is a bit cheaper online if you don't want to make a trip to the dealership (this is assuming you get free shipping via Amazon Prime or if the order total is $35 or more).

9. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced these, and all fit perfectly on my 2010. Here's how to replace the rear blade assembly if you've never done it:

Rear Wiper Blade Change Toyota Prius (2010-2013) - 2010 Toyota Prius 1.8L 4 Cyl.

going red baby! likes this.
  10. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With these, do you keep the "cover" part that's on the factory blades? These look "naked". Just wondering how they'll look on the car.

Also, does anyone know why Amazon thinks the Prius takes an 18" blade rather than a 19" for the RainX Weatherbeater?

11. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacement rear blade inserts are available, if the dealer stocks them or can be found on-line. No need to replace the whole assembly.

85214-0E050, ~$6.63

Toyota inserts highly recommended over third party replacements.

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I honestly don't notice the difference without the cover. It also seemed too much work to try and swap the cover, along with just trying to replace the blades vs the unit.

13. timscottbennett

timscottbennett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't get the 600-26 to install. The hook seems far too big and there doesn't seem to be anything to lock it into place. Is there supposed to be an adapter?

14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had the front inserts and the back insert replaced at my Toyota dealer. The service advisor told me to go to their parts department and buy the inserts, bring them back to him and he would have someone install them for me free. Very cheap outcome. The service department does this all the time so it just took them a few minutes. Replacing the complete blades is very expensive and not necessary. Better to use Toyota parts and then you won't have any problems.

15. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always wondered why someone would be so cheap as to only replace the inserts of a blade and not the whole blade when it only costs a couple bucks more. After reading this and taking a stroll through my local autoparts place I now know I was wrong. I would much rather have an OEM wiper insert than a replacement blade that was made in china. My last set of blades were high end blades and I couldn't even get a year out of them before they were useless.

16. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OEM wiper is probably made in China too.

17. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have bought alot of parts from toyota. Most of their stuff is made in Japan and the US, some DENSO products are now made in thailand. Ive yet to see anything made in china.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Waste not, want not.

I admit though, avoiding the pile of plastic trash from buying a whole blade is more motivation for me than the saved money.

Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see I chimed in over a year back, saying our original wiper blades were doing fine. Same story now, not complaining though. The car's garage kept, low mileage, both factors I think.

When people are replacing them: what's the motivation? Are they actually fraying, not wiping cleanly, or?

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not wiping cleanly, rubber fraying, rubber noisy when wiping. If they deteriorate enough your glass will become scratched. That is caused by pure neglect. I replaced mine on a Prius after it was about 2 1/2 years old. It was garage kept as well. I just replaced them because they had a little age on them but they were still wiping okay. The new ones wiped better. I have heard of recommendations of changing them every 6 months. I am not going to do that. Probably about the 2 year interval for me.