1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wiper mechanism problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by natural320, Apr 1, 2009.

1. natural320

natural320 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the usually whisper quiet operation of my wipers has turned into a loud mess. I had to replace the windshield on my '08 (damn big rigs on the highway!), and of course the weather was really nice, so I never had to check out how the wipers were operating...

but I think the wiper mechanism was somehow moved. the passenger side blade now rests about half an inch or so on the plastic trim piece! I checked out my wife's car (same prius, but different color) and the passenger blade comes to a lovely quiet stop about an inch or so above the plastic piece...

is there a relatively easy way to readjust the position of the wipers/mechanism? the constant banging scratched the heck out of the plastic, and messed up the rubber of the blade so it streaks when in use.

thanks in advance for your help!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's fairly easy to reposition the wipers, there are even positioning dots on Toyota windshields where the wipers are supposed to park. I'd take the car back to the glass company and make them fix it. Complain to your insurance company if they are balky. They caused the problem with an inferior install, make them fix it.

2 people like this.
  3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a reasonable picture of the wiper shaft splines here,
    and it's a fairly easy matter of loosening the nuts far enough
    to allow repositioning on the shaft. Make sure the splines
    are seated and meshed properly, or you'll mash them when
    the nut goes back down..
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  4. natural320

natural320 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you wouldn't know if there was a guide/write-up somewhere that outlines this procedure (spine adjustment), would you?

as far as contacting the glass company, I was going to check that out tomorrow...but I was still looking for a DIY just in case.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is quite easy to DIY. When the windshield wipers are parked, use a ratchet wrench and a 14 mm socket to loosen the two nuts that secure the passenger-side arm.

Find the dot on the windshield that serves as a guide to show where the blade tip should be. Move the arm up so that the blade tip points to the dot. Then tighten the two nuts, tightening torque is 15 ft.-lb. The splines should adjust themselves as you tighten the nuts.

While you are at it, you might want to pry off the plastic cap that covers the driver-side wiper nut, and make sure that is tight.

2 people like this.
  6. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Thank you Bill and Patrick for the hint about the "dots" to align the wipers. I didn't even know they were there!

Question: my wipers are just about 1/4" above the dots. It looks as though they could go down lower (they are just about at the separation between the black mask area and the clear glass). If I do want to adjust them slightly lower, I was wondering what bolt on the passenger wiper is on the spline?

The driver side is easy to see. But the passenger side has two pivot points, and then a big black cover that hides the rest of the linkage. I'm not certain which nut to remove to get at the spline. Is it one of the two exposed ones? Is is under the big cover?

Thanks

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Frank,

All you have to do is to loosen both nuts, then gently wiggle and move the wiper arm the way you want it to be. Then tighten both nuts to 15 ft.-lb and you are done.

8. Los

Los Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My newly purchased car had the wipers sort of up out of place, used the tips here and repositioned them and found the little circle marks in the windshield as a guide, thanks guys.