1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires connection of back-up camera to MFD !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cozmisu, Oct 20, 2012.

1. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everybody,

I just bought this camera SONY CCD Car Rear View Camera For Toyota Prius 06-10/ Camry 09 10/ Aurion 06-11 | eBay) from ebay.
    I conected the 2 power wires to the rear lights (to power-up the camera), and pull the other wire (RCA) till near the MFD. How I can connect this wire to the MFD? no RCA female on the back of the MFD.
    The car is Prius Gen.II, 2008, executive with navigation.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haven't been able to check if it works, but look here and scroll down to post 11: link

4. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I done the 2 wires from the camera as shown in the pictures, but nothing happens.
    Is something else.

5. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you supplied the MFD (Multi Function Display) with the camera signal on pin 29 of M14???

And is the reverse signal present? Measured on pin 21 of M13? And/or visible in the display check mode?

Your answer is very, very short, and I cannot make out if you don't know what you are doing or if you have indeed supplied the correct signal to both pins and it simply doesn't work for you.

When I find the time, I will try on my (NON navigation...) Prius and report back, but this will likely not be for another week or two.

toenailpink and redcoral like this.
  6. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi R-P,

I just pulled the 2 wires from the camera on board, till the back of the MFD; after that I'm stuck; I don't know what connctions to make.
    The power for the camera, I took from the reverse lights in the booth.

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I one studied Electrical Engineering and I have trouble reading the details from the link I gave you.... :)
    So I found it hard to believe you tried the two connections in the back (connector M13 and M14).

Do you have a navigation system on your Prius? Then the link I gave you should provide the solution.

If not, then you'll have to wait for me to investigate further. (Or for someone else to write about their findings on a NON-navigation equiped Prius).

8. cozmisu

cozmisu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius has navigation system onboard, and hi-resolution MFD.
    I didn'tried conection with the MFD, because I'm not sure yet, what cable goes where, and I don't want to break something.

9. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doas anyone have some more info on the REVERSE sensing-relay? I do not have navigation and therefor don't have the rev. signal in my hidden Prius screen. I will have to tap into the wiring to find that somewhere, but I doubt it will work unless that option is activated in the software. Anyone have a clue if this can be done or it the reversing camera never an option if you don't have navigation? Or am I on my own here???

(I succesfully integrated a heated screen into my Ford Mondeo, but that is because Ford did part of the work for me by already fitting the 2x30A fuses and powerwiring, just not the switching wiring, buttons and relays which was only a few hours work (and trolling dozens of junkyards))

10. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have any luck getting the reverse camera working on your non-nav Gen II 2009 Prius, R-P? I'm trying to do the same thing with a 2007 and I'm a bit stuck.

11. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I gave up and bought a double din with camera-input to replace the stock radio.

I think we should be able to get a lockpick or something similar, to solve this. I thought that was only for pre-2006 cars but later found my screen to be the same as 2005 models since I have such a simple version.

A lockpick would be 100$ or more, which is a very nice downpayment on a proper headunit, so two flies in one stone. Have just bought it last week, so haven't installed it yet.

Also regarding the quoted posting above, since the reverse signal isn't in my secret menu, I'd probably need a reprogramming of the entire unit IF at all possible. Toyota dealer assured me it is not even possible to add a reverse camera to my car, so that's another clue that this reprogramming cannot even be done.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why the give up R-P? You had the right pin outs M13.

I believe everything is in place from the mfd on out to connector BK2 whether you have a camera or not. BK-2 is located in the hatch routed through the rubber flex bellows by the hinge valley and terminates to BK-2 right there as soon it enter the hatch. If you have the camera option then they hook the camera harness to that BK2 connector.

There's B+ and ground and cam vid in on that BK-2 and reverse signal B+ to camera is operating also. Ready to go for any camera actually.

BK-2:
    1----Shield for Cam Vid
    2----Cam Video in (Red)
    3----Ground (W)
    4----12 volts in reverse (Black)

redcoral likes this.
  13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One reason for giving up is that the 'secret MFD menu', where e.g. the batteryvoltage is displayed, doesn't show the state of the reverse signal. If it doesn't detect the reverse signal, it won't know to switch ON the MFD to the camera input. So I was assuming there not to be an internal switch telling the screen to go into the camera-input. And without the switching capability, well, it doesn't matter if the display can or cannot show the camera :(

So mine doesn't have this "REV" that IS present in Telmo744's borrowed pic:
    [​IMG]

And the dealer claiming it cannot be retrofitted was a second important reason.

PJ06EUE likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh.....didn't notice your locale.

Manual shows system intact with or without camera in America. Prob different with a JDM car then.

M13 is looking for 12 volts on pin21 for reverse state which comes from a relay in the main relay box in the engine compartment. Relay called BK/LP LP.
    Relay is controlled by the C10 via the Gateway.

Maybe its just missing that relay?

toenailpink and PJ06EUE like this.
  15. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My "secret MFD menu" DOES show the state of the "REV" signal. Perhaps there is hope for me, yet?

PJ06EUE likes this.
  16. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still a bit lost here, but you've given me hope.:)

Do you have a picture/diagram showing the BK-2 connector? I didn't notice any empty connectors when I had the boot hatch open, but I'm wondering whether I ran a wire all the way from the camera to my dash that I didn't have to! I'd be quite happy if it turns out that it was there all along for me to patch into.

I'm not giving up so easily!;)

Cheers!

PJ06EUE likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the connector BK-2 at least in USA cars is in the top part of the hatch. It enters the rubber bellows and terminates right after it enters. Take the inside trim off the top part of the hatch by that rubber bellows. Its a 4 pin connector. It will be empty and have the wire colors I listed in my earlier post.

PJ06EUE and redcoral like this.
  18. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to attempt this on my uk 2006 prius and make a video so others can see how to do it. Been researching for a while. What I can't seem to figure out is if I can tag into the spare connector in my hatch behind where the camera blank is. Or is this for something else. Just waiting for camera to arrive. Planning to create a RCA input at same time for DVD into mfd. will keep you posted as I go on but would be very happy for guidance and suggestions.

19. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Camera arrived today. I removed trim and sure enough there were the four wires. Red black grey and white. Connected them all up but in diagnostics mfd says camera ncon. Help!

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See if the black wire has 12 volts on it in reverse. The car maybe missing the reverse relay in the relay box also.
    That relay may not be there if its a package #1 car.