1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires, speakers, amp, install...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GaS, Jun 14, 2007.

1. GaS

GaS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been searching pretty hard for some information about installing an amp. Read the stickies in this audio section, nothing. Ran searches, got no hits on a surprising number of focused searches, and 23 pages of irrelevant info I waded through for a couple pages on broader searches. From my searching and reading I've found that most people find it very easy to hook an amp up due to the location of the battery and a grounding point, but beyond that I haven't found anything specific: What wires are what?

I don't know how that information can be so hard to find, but I can't seem find it... :unsure:

So, anyone have bookmarked any resource for which wires are which for the audio system? All I really need are the rear speakers left and right positive and negative, plus a wire for remote turn on (if there is even such a wire in the stock harness somewhere, I imagine there must be). I have the 2007 non-JBL system, but it would be nice to have a wiring diagram for every combination handy for folks in the future searching for this information, it would sure be a help to on a future install.

This is the closest thing I could find to some solid info, which recommended a couple specific harnesses and a line out converter for a 2006ish non-JBL system: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...;hl=amp+install

TIA a ton for any assistance you may be able to give,
    G

Keyword update: speaker, speakers, schematic, schema, wiring, chart, diagram, amp, jbl, non-jbl, radio, power, electrical, electric, connections, wire

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I too am looking for such a wiring diagram, for the JBL version. This info must be around somewhere...

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK, I found something using Google instead:

Note: this was posted in July 2005. I wonder if the 07 amp is different. Does anyone know?

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  4. boneman

boneman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 16 2007, 07:41 AM) [snapback]462941[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is what you are looking for. pm me if the res is not so good! I also HATE haveing to search for these kinds of things too!

Jonas.

Attached Files:

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  5. GaS

GaS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I read somewhere that the 2007 JBL wiring did change, folks were using a harness from Bazooka, but couldn't on the 2007 JBL models? That's just hazy from my memory!

Those are nice schematics tho, we need those for all of the years and option levels!!!

---

I have no idea how relevant this is, but I took a chance and purchased the harnesses listed in the post I referred to at the top, and here are the colors described on the harness. I now realize that these parts are to install an aftermarket reciever and are of no use to me, at least they were only $20...

I have no idea if these are the same colors as are used in the 2007 Toyota Prius as mine is currently recovering from wounds...

UPDATE: WRONG INFO HERE, REMOVED.

This is off the 'Metra ABMW1-1761 and ABMW-1761' parts. Once I get my car back I'll report if these are the same wires/colors as are used by Toyota in the 2007 non-JBL Prius...

---

Using google gave me a good idea, I randomly slapped down the terms used above, 'left right positive negative red green black prius' and came up with one or two relevant results. I found an eBay auction which said those color codes are the 'EIA color codes' and listed them for an impressive list of Toyota's including the Prius from at least 2001-2003. I found another auction which listed the compatible years as 2001-2006. As with all eBay auction descriptions, YMMV...probably right for the non-JBL at least up to 2006.

6. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the schemas. I think we need to have a sticky for wiring diagrams since folks will be looking for them all the time. Would be nice to have a collection for different models and packages.

7. boneman

boneman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 20 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]465277[/snapback]</div>

Your welcome. Also, here is attached "built in" amp schema. I'm asuming this is for the Non-jbl system. I didn't read the original post well enough! It would be nice to have a place for these...

Attached Files:

8. GaS

GaS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. rwichmann

rwichmann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 16 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]462941[/snapback]</div>
    I just installed my new Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer in to my '07 Prius with JBL and the wiring diagrams were right on the money! In fact, I connected to the speaker wires coming right out of the JBL amp under the passenger seat rather than going into the rear doors. This saved a lot of time and anguish on my side. I hate to open up the doors and the amp is easily accessable. The plastic cover pops off and the amp is bolted to the floor.

One word of caution. The two red power supply wires that feed the JBL amp are always on. So they cannot be used as a power-on signal wire for the KSC-SW1. I wasn't confident of the correct signal wire to use on the JBL amp (I do believe that I found it though). I went to the front dash accessory plug and tapped the hot side of the feed for that. I conneted the main power wire directly to the battery in the trunk and the ground directly to the battery ground (also in the trunk).

I spent more time researching how to do it than actually installing.

I hope that this helps.

10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBoston @ Jul 20 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]482172[/snapback]</div>
    That would be the red and the black speaker wires, correct?

There are two red power supply wires? The diagram above shows only one. I'll be doing the sub this weekend, so I'm trying to clear up as many things as possible.

According to the diagram, that should be the grey wire, right? If I can't find the ACC wire from the amp, I'm thinking of tapping the 12V plug inside the console.

Anyways, so how's the sound?

11. rwichmann

rwichmann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 21 2007, 01:31 AM) [snapback]482670[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I did this 3 weeks ago and I have senior moments but there were 2 pwr supplies on the amp (left and right side power maybe??). I checked them with my V/O meter and they gave me 12v constantly. They were heavier than the speaker wires. The harness with the speaker wires that I attached was the center of the 3 on the amp.

The Kenwood has connections for both right and left speakers so I connected them both to the red and white for the right and yellow and black for the left watching the polarity (they are clearly marked on the kenwood wires). Also, be careful that there is enough space for the clamp on spicers. I used 4 blue splicers from radio shack. They worked fine with the multi gauge wires but you need to plan on only a little space of wires to clamp on unless you peel some of the insulation wrap back.

Yes I tested the gray wire out. However it was on a separate harness and was very small. I didn't want to risk it. It was very easy running a wire up to the front dash and clamping on to the accessory plug (the hot wire is the center plug wire). The acc plug is on only when the ignition is on.

The sound is much improved. I don't get into the thumping sounds but the Kenwood worked fine. There is still an absence of rich midrange sound but I can deal with it. I travel a lot and rent cars. I rented a Chrysler 300 in Chicago this week and the midrange sound out of it was much nicer than my hacked Prius.

Also, I ran the control for the Kenwood up the left side of the car next to the driver and mounted it right above the emergency brake on the outside of the plastic dash cover using clear velcro that I got from r shack.

The seat just pops off. The plastic door entry covers also pop off. I had to remove the tie down bolts to get under the carpet in the rear.

Good Luck!

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've taken out the JBL amp from the floor. Instead of removing the passenger seat, I cut a bit out of the carpet and pull all the wiring harnesses to the front to have room to work. I slit open the black plastic insulation to get more room to add bullet connectors (partly to use the KSC's existing bullet connectors, partly because I'll have to hook some of these wires to another amp later anyway). Here's what I see:

There are three connectors. From front to rear of the JBL amp: White [1], Blue [2], White [3].
    Based on the wiring diagram, [3] looks like it's for power, ACC etc. so let's leave it alone for now.

The first two connectors have almost exactly similar pairs of wires. Each pair is taped together, indicating that they are a +/- pair of speaker wires.

The frontmost connector [1] has the following pairs: red+white, pink+violet, green+lightblue, white+white/black.

The middle connector [2] has the same three pairs as the other one, but instead of white+white/black it has a pair of black+yellow. AND two additional blue wires that are NOT taped together at all (?!?)

Kind of confusing. My guess is that the [1] is for the four tweeters, whereas [2] is for the four woofers AND the center speaker. Does this sound right?

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 22 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]483118[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, that doesn't sound right at all. Come to think of it, [1] must be the input from the head unit. Duh!

14. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Q: Does the JBL amp turn on only when the head unit is turned on? If so, which wire is the signal wire going into the amp?

I'm not an electronics guy, so I'd appreciate it very much if someone could explain the labels on the wiring chart:

IVI+/-, ACC, SPD, +B, SW1, GND, SW2, ANT+, AU1, EAU, AU2, TX+/-

Thanks!

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. I've finally figured out the speaker output from the 07 JBL amp after cutting out each pair of wires and testing them one by one. Here goes:

1. White Harness (frontmost)
    Front Right Woofer +/- : Green/Blue
    Front Left Woofer +/- : Pink/Violet

2. Blue Harness (middle)
    Front Right Tweeter +/- : Green/Blue
    Front Left Tweeter +/- : Pink/Violet
    Rear Right Woofer +/- : Red/White
    Rear Left Woofer +/- : Black/Yellow

There were some other wires from both harnesses that I have no idea where they go. I think one of those pairs may be for the center speaker, but since mine was disconnected I didn't bother testing it.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm still searching for the myterious "signal" wire going into the JBL amp.
    Does such a wire exist?

Reason is that when I hook up my new amp, I want to connect its "signal" wire to the JBL
    so that it'll turn on only when I turn on the radio, not when I turn on the car. Is this even possible?

My assumption thus far is that the JBL amp turns on as soon as the car goes into ACC mode, regardless
    whether the radio is turned ON or not. Is this a correct assumption?

17. rvanepps

rvanepps New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaS @ Jun 14 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]461868[/snapback]</div>

I too have been digging for examples of what others did to upgrade the non-jbl factory stereo. I have a 2007 prius with factory stereo and 6 cd player. I want to add an amplifer, replace the speakers, and desire to do it myself. Does anyone have more detail on something they have done, with a non-jbl system with a late model prius

18. johnbeans

johnbeans New Member

Audio Connection Data: Crutchfield

Here's one reference resource for you to consider.

1. Go to www.crutchfield.com
    2. Navigate to Customer Service
    3. Click on Knowledge Base / FAQs
    4. On the resulting page, type "Prius" into the search box

You'll see links to instructions for each type of audio configuration (with NAV, with audio upgrade, etc.). Each of them includes wiring diagrams that are easier to use (I think) than others I've seen in the forums.
    I've bought from Crutch's for my last two cars (VW, Infiniti), and now I'm about to order me up an amp and subs for my '08 Prius.
    From what I've read, I'm planning to tap the rear speaker outputs from the HU at the amp (although I'd much prefer pre-amp signals) and the battery connection in the trunk. In the past, I've done the "fuse by the front battery" approach, but I like the idea of avoiding the dash.
    After Santa arrives, I'll letcha know how it sounds (or rattles, we'll see).
    --John

19. bayareakirk

bayareakirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thanks!! This will certainly help when I finally take the time to upgrade our 07' Prius with navigation. The Crutchfield diagrams and information are excellent!

I tried to cut and paste one of the Crutchfield installation information pages here but it includes "cells" and loses it's formatting. Maybe someone knows how to do this.

20. martinisaacanywhere

martinisaacanywhere Supa Memba

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the help you've been giving me. I have two last questions before I start;

1. did you ever find the signal wire? I'm planning on using the ACC, but i'm cautious because I power my rear LCD's off of that.

2. Those 1 (White) and 2 (Blue) plugs that go into the JBL amp are the inputs (correct?) from the headunit, but where does the sound go after that? where are the outputs from the JBL??